New FSA Notice 13C02 - HEADLINER HEAD IMPACT PROTECTION

Great link! Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the "world" Fusion/Mondeo is only about 80% the same around the world. I remember reading early on that the reason the Fusion has such a long hood is part of the world design to meet European crash test standards. If all the countries in the EU can agree on this stuff you'd think the US could agree with the EU as well. After all the US and UK are the dominant world power right now.

Was planning on buying a cmax last Saturday and just getting it done that day, as my wife's about ready to have a baby.  So that day I found out about this recall from the dealer.  The dealer, as it seems to be their nature, didn't feel the need to tell me they couldn't sell a Cmax on the phone when I was going over details.  They waited until I drove there to tell me.  Seemed to be a pattern, earlier in the day I had gone to another dealership and was showed the car, was offered a test drive (!) and spent 1/2 hr going over pricing. There was no mention of the recall or that they were not able to deliver the car ( for who knows how long!).  Not exactly straight forward and honest, guess they'll do anything to get you there in person, so they can work their magic.

I drove home that day a little frustrated.  After my anger had subsided, and I had thought about it, we did end up putting a deposit on the car from the second dealer.  Their discount was great for a regular car and amazing for a hybrid. They also had the exact car w/ options I wanted, so figured why not lock it in.    Anyway, don't know about you, but I expect the parts & repairs to take longer than they think. Hopefully the fact they aren't selling any will light a fire to get the parts delivered.  But seems like these things take longer than the estimates you're given, right?

bgs4859, hope you don't have to wait too long.  You will love the C-Max.  I haven't yet contacted the dealer about the recall, but figure I will get a letter notification when the dealers are ready to handle the fix.  Welcome to the forum, you will meet lots of great people here and everyone is so helpful.

My dealer said they are going to give priority to the current owners (I assume due to safety concerns). If parts get delivered in numbers and the fix is easy there shouldn't be a backlog, otherwise you could wait longer. They said they would call me in a week or two with an update.

In a similar situation to bgs4859, after more or less purchasing a cmax a week and a half ago and now waiting for the parts to come in so that we can finalize the paperwork and take delivery. Has anyone heard of the parts arriving at any dealers? Mine says they are still waiting for Ford to tell them which parts they need to order (so of course nothing ordered yet). Anyone else hear anything different? Thanks for the help! Excited to (eventually) be a Cmax owner too...

I just called today seeing it on the sync my ride mobile site(I had to dig a bit on the regular page) They said there is a recall but not to schedual an appointment till I get the formal letter in the mail since that will indicate parts were in for the fix.

I still thought the recall notice was very vauge. I saw headliner head impact and thought it was a chair piece and not a roof thing.

BTW if any admins have any recomendations on upgrades to request while they're up there send me a PM. I just hate the antenna on my cmax, I for some reason thought I was getting a hocky puck antenna and not a stick antenna. On my Pontiac vibe it always reminded me of a rino tail when I used the rear sprayer (I knew there was something up when the people behind me burst out laughing when I cleaned my window [if you know what I mean]).

BTW BTW with my cmax I had the choice of touch screen or panaramic roof and I went with touch.

Edited by techman05

tech man there is a thread all about options for the antenna

here it is:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1961-whats-that-antenna-for/?hl=antenna

i agree it sucks and is old school for this modern car. what was even more amazing is that the Lincoln MKZ which is a luxury brand also has a fishing pole antenna on the back left end!!!! come on if the car had nav/gps they all should be using the nice BMW/Audj shark type looking antenna. it's more aerodynamic as well

I'm sure the antenna will be the first mod for many.

Edited by salsaguy

The dealer bulletin for the headliner recall was issued today:

July 26, 2013

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers

SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Compliance Recall 13C02

Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX Vehicles Built without a Panoramic Roof

Headliner Head Impact Protection

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2013 model year C-MAX vehicles without a Panoramic Roof built at the Michigan Assembly

Plant from Job #1 through June 26, 2013.

REASON FOR THIS COMPLIANCE RECALL

The affected vehicles may not conform to the requirements specified by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety

Standard (FMVSS) No. 201, Occupant Protection in Interior Impact. Affected vehicles were built with

insufficient interior head impact protection at the roof/B-Pillar area.

SERVICE ACTION

Before demonstrating or delivering any of the vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to lower the

headliner and attach RH and LH plastic energy absorbers and foam isolators to the top side of the

headliner in the areas directly below the roof bow brace. This service must be performed on all

affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Owner Letters are expected to be mailed in early August, 2013. Dealers should repair any affected

vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

yuk.drop the headliner.they better have a guy who knows what he is doing otherwise it will look like cr@p afterwards. not fun for Ford I'm sure. wonder if it will be noticeable after the fix since they didn't design it that way in the first place and might not be much room/space to add the foam protection. wonder if there will be a bump?

This should be a snap for a high volume dealer (like Galpin) to perform.  They work on electrical/wiring issues all the time that require access into the headliner so I do not anticipate any issues that cannot be resolved.  I am confident that my dealership will do the job right because this is too big a deal for Ford to handle in a slipshod way or let their dealers botch up!   Whatever happens, Ford will make it right, they have to! 

Here is the recall notification from the NHTSA website.  The only additional info is that the recall is expected to begin Aug 19.

Report Receipt Date: JUL 10, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V303000
Component(s): STRUCTURE
All Products Associated with this Recall orange-down.png
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
  • FORDC-MAX HYBRID2013

Details orange-up.png 3 Associated Documents orange-up.png

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company

SUMMARY:Ford Motor Company is recalling certain model year 2013 C-Max hybrid vehicles, without panoramic roofs, that were manufactured January 19, 2012, through June 25, 2013. During vehicle testing, the vehicle exceeded a head injury criteria requirement set by the standard. Thus, these vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 201, "Occupant Protection in Interior Impact." CONSEQUENCE:In the event of a crash, an occupant could be at an increased risk of an injury. REMEDY:Ford will notify owners, and dealers will install energy absorbers between the headliner and the roof. The recall is expected to begin August 19, 2013. Owners may contact the Ford customer relationship center at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's recall number is 13C02. NOTES:Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

So I checked the etis website and it looks like my c-max is due for the headliner recall, and also a "pcm calibration." Does anybody know what the latter is? I've already had 3.5.1 installed, so not sure what pcm powertrain control module may do, or if I even want to schedule it after my 3.5.1 debacle.

Anyone? Here's the notice:

post-876-0-94352800-1375146151_thumb.jpg

So I checked the etis website and it looks like my c-max is due for the headliner recall, and also a "pcm calibration." Does anybody know what the latter is? I've already had 3.5.1 installed, so not sure what pcm powertrain control module may do, or if I even want to schedule it after my 3.5.1 debacle.

Anyone? Here's the notice:

It is the fuel efficiency update.  Link

Was planning on buying a cmax last Saturday and just getting it done that day, as my wife's about ready to have a baby.  So that day I found out about this recall from the dealer.  The dealer, as it seems to be their nature, didn't feel the need to tell me they couldn't sell a Cmax on the phone when I was going over details.  They waited until I drove there to tell me.  Seemed to be a pattern, earlier in the day I had gone to another dealership and was showed the car, was offered a test drive (!) and spent 1/2 hr going over pricing. There was no mention of the recall or that they were not able to deliver the car ( for who knows how long!).  Not exactly straight forward and honest, guess they'll do anything to get you there in person, so they can work their magic.

I drove home that day a little frustrated.  After my anger had subsided, and I had thought about it, we did end up putting a deposit on the car from the second dealer.  Their discount was great for a regular car and amazing for a hybrid. They also had the exact car w/ options I wanted, so figured why not lock it in.    Anyway, don't know about you, but I expect the parts & repairs to take longer than they think. Hopefully the fact they aren't selling any will light a fire to get the parts delivered.  But seems like these things take longer than the estimates you're given, right?

Called the  dealer today in the hopes of getting an update on when the headliner recall will be completed so we may officially purchase & take delivery on our c-max.  Unfortunately, they have no real information.  No idea when parts will even be in.  I may call Ford to try to get more info as I have read on this forum plenty have been getting this recall performed in the last few days.  You'd think a fairly large dealer in the Chicago  area (& Ford) would show eagerness to deliver and receive payment for this car?  

Edited by bgs4859

Just had 13B07 FE update and 13C02 headliner fix performed.  All is good.

Bill,

You must be the first on this website to have the headliner fix done.  Did they do a good job lowering and reattaching the headliner.  Any fingerprints on it or other issues with the electrical components located in the headliner?    How long did it take them?  Have you noticed any significant changes in the operation of the car after the FE update?  More information on your thoughts on both updates would be appreciated.  I have an appointment to do all three updates on August 19th.