Tire Mobility Kit

tocoty

I have not used it but I have used a small 12V compressor without sealand for at least 20 years and almost always got enough air into the tire to get home or to a tire shop.

Actually, I have gone weeks on just refills when I didn't have the time to waste at the tire shop. Using the goo triggers a lot of other stuff to be needed, including a new TPS and more goo for the kit, so I prefer the compressor only.

I only hope that the one supplied by Ford is at least a decent one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I used mine last night.  I had to take the car to a Goodyear shop to be the tire plugged since the dealer was closed.  This morning I went by the dealer to get the car retrained to the TPMS fearing that the goo had damaged the sensor.  Luckily it had not damaged the sensor.  However, the replacement goo cannister for the TMK cost me $30.  Live and learn.  From now on I will try to plug the tire myself roadside to get me to a service station.

I carry a tire plug kit in my cars and a small compressor. Most sealants are too messy and damage the TPMS sensors. I am thinking about taking the Ford mobility kit out of the car and using the space for more storage.

The tire mobility kit is a compressor. No need to replace it with another one. Just throw in a rope plug kit and your set.

• 4 months later...

However, the replacement goo cannister for the TMK cost me $30.

I was reading the manual today and noticed for the first time the air compressor included the sealant canister as an integral part, which has to be replaced after using it once. Other than having a plug kit, it might be a very good idea to keep a can of sealant in the car which costs about $8, vs. paying Ford $30 to replace theirs. http://www.amazon.com/Slime-10011-Tubeless-Automotive-Sealant/dp/B000C11PYW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Ford should provide those replacement canisters for free during the warranty period. After-all, it was their design decisions that eliminated the spare from these cars.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

• 2 weeks later...

Why chance ruining the TPS with the Sealant Goo?  If the Mini 12 Volt Tire Inflator won`t get you to a service center to get the tire repaired, time to call for Roadside Assistance (Ford or AAA).  Better idea for long Highway Trips is to carry a Mini-Donut Spare in the Cargo area.  Late Model Ford Focus Emergency Donut Tire works fine.

Does the C-MAX even include a scissors jack and combo wrench to remove the lug nuts?

Without those, the mini-donut spare isn't going to save much time, if I still have to call Ford Roadside Assistance to install it.

No it doesn't. A suitable jack and wrench can be bought at Harbor Freight.

I, for one, would rather destroy a $15 TPS than endure a multi-hour ordeal with a tow truck.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

"I, for one, would rather destroy a $15 TPS than endure a multi-hour ordeal with a tow truck."

From fordparts.com, the tire pressure monitor sensor cost is:

Kit - TPMS Sensor
Part #: 1A189
Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $85.95

Even at that cost, it might still be better than the hassle of waiting for a tow truck.

"I, for one, would rather destroy a $15 TPS than endure a multi-hour ordeal with a tow truck."

Kit - TPMS Sensor

Even at that cost, it might still be better than the hassle of waiting for a tow truck.

Boy, they're not my Honda's Costco-replaced sensors are they! But who would buy anything from Ford if they could avoid it? Here's one at $31 that might work. http://www.amazon.com/VDO-SE10001HP-REDI-Sensor-314-9-Sensor/dp/B00CBQFE8E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=046W0ZD5HYQ7C8SQEDDE

Kit - TPMS Sensor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/2013/Ford/C-Max/ref=au_pf_cr_automotive_L3_Replaceme?ie=UTF8&carId=002&partsNode=2201764011&pf_rd_p=1364510422&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=1601&pf_rd_i=B008GB6LNU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WRMDE6KTBEGT647PN9M

But, in the case of a simple puncture, I would first try using the pump only (without the goo) and see if that would get me to a location where I could get the leak fixed.  If the tire would not hold air long enough for that solution, I could still, then, try the goo.

Edited by Smiling Jack

I face a dilemma about the whole spare tire thing. 

Personally, I think that Ford should have included a spare with the C-MAX, even if it would reduce fuel economy a tiny bit. I suppose that they will eventually work this out as batteries get smaller. Nonetheless, they didn't include one at present, so I am faced with what to do about it.

In June, I expect to take a 4-5,000 mile trip from Miami to New Hampshire (for my daughter's wedding) and back, with side trips for visits, hiking and canoeing with the pooch. I need to make a final decision about carrying or not carrying a spare for this trip.

Initially, I was going to install a receiver, and then pay through the nose for a hitch style tire carrier that folds to allow easy access to the liftgate.  By the time you pay for the receiver and installation, the carrier and a spare, this really becomes excessive.  Also, I have another problem: I live in a high rise condominium. I don't have a garage in which to store the tire and carrier. I really don't want to drive with a spare for my local driving. So, I haven't jumped on that wagon.

I've given thought to installing a receiver and carrier tray for a spare. Fotomoto seems to be able to carry a lot of stuff in that carrier he installed. However, I don't want to have to start removing things from the tray in order to open the liftgate, and I would still have to deal with storage of the tray and tire. On the good side, it is less expensive than the tire carrier.

I have the extended tire warranty, there is the Ford roadside service, I have AAA, and (since it was super inexpensive as inclusion with my auto insurance) I even have towing coverage from GEICO. I bought a tire plug kit. With all of this, it would seem that I should be able to call someone that I can pay some extra on the spot for plugging the tire. I should only need a tow in the case where the leak is severe and cannot be plugged.

I was okay with this third option until someone posted about how a driver could be out of luck on dealerships being able to provide warranty tire service over weekends, especially Sundays. I've already experienced the thrill of having a vehicle problem while on trips over weekends, finding that I had to stay in a motel while awaiting Monday.

If Ford allows the extended tire warranty to be carried out by any authorized Michelin dealer, not just a Ford, I could pay extra to AAA to get their farthest towing allowance, and then hope that they can tow me to someplace that would be open after Ford dealership hours, and that will happen to have our specific tire in stock. I don't know if places other than Ford would have our tire in stock.

As far as I can see, there is a problem with every option.  :headscratch:

We took a 3,500 mile trip last year without a second thought (ok, maybe one) about not having a spare. I would guess I've driven about 200,000 miles since my last flat. The odds of having a flat is so low its just not a significant worry. The only reason we have a spare is the wife insisted, and logic and statistics don't stand a chance against that!

Have you considered a roof rack/shell?

First, I was instructed by my dealer not to do that with the Pano Roof. Second, I hear that it's really bad on the fuel economy. Third, that still doesn't change my lack of storage space for the rack and tire.

No, I was thinking you could put the tire in it, but if that roof doesn't allow it then its moot anyway.

I'm not sure about the validity of this, but I read on the Internets that (some?) tire shops will not repair a tire that has been plugged with the cord type plug kits.  Probably a mix of liability and selling another tire.  I still carry one though since it provides an option.  I also bought a spare from a Focus IIRC, and a jack from Harbor Freight, for longer trips. 

Edited by CNCGeek