HELP - C-Max won't start

joe

I got into the C-Max this evening - foot on brake, push button.  Instead of starting, I get messages in the left panel saying I'm low on oil, then a message that my engine is overheading, and then the traction control is malfunctioning.  It won't start at all.  The battery indicator shows charged half-way.  Lights work, tailgate works, MFT seems to work OK.

Car has been sitting for about 2 hours after a 20 minute drive.  The radiator gauge indicates cold.

Anyone experience this before? 

Fortunately, car sitting in front of friends house.  Will call Ford on Monday to tow back to shop.

We were planning a trip out west later this year but unless this is a fluke, can I trust this car hundreds of miles form nowhere????

Edited by joe

UPDATE:

The C-Max started up OK this morning.  After digging deep into our forum, I found information about a TSB 13-6-22 which states:

"Some 2013 C-MAX, Fusion, MKZ Hybrid and Energi vehicles may exhibit the check engine lamp and/or wrench lamp illuminating acccompanied by various diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). "

(if) "one or more of the DTCs are present, reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 85.01 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com."

The TSB contains a long list of numbered DTCs.  I'll call the dealership tomorrow.  I hope this TSB will ensure no further problems.  Nothing is worse than to buy a new car which randomly fails to function.

Edited by joe

UPDATE:

The C-Max started up OK this morning.  After digging deep into our forum, I found information about a TSB 13-6-22 which states:

"Some 2013 C-MAX, Fusion, MKZ Hybrid and Energi vehicles may exhibit the check engine lamp and/or wrench lamp illuminating acccompanied by various diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). "

(if) "one or more of the DTCs are present, reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 85.01 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com."

The TSB contains a long list of numbered DTCs.  I'll call the dealership tomorrow.  I hope this TSB will ensure no further problems.  Nothing is worse than to buy a new car which randomly fails to function.

FYI, the engineering test mode appears to display DTC's.  I haven't had a DTC to verify this  :happy feet: , so I can't say for sure.  Perhaps someone else can.  Search the forums for "test mode."

UPDATE:  I ran the test mode and came up with two diagnostic trouble codes (DTC):  C41582 and C42482.  Can't find any reference to these codes on the Internet.  At first, I assumed the "C" was for the C-Max but I found most DTCs start with the letter "P" and referred to power train problems.  Maybe the "C" stands for "computer" errors.  I'm hoping that the system rebooted and reset the computer codes to the correct settings.  When my wife got into the car after the car regained power, her phone had to resync., suggesting that the computer had reset some parameters.

Made appointment with dealer to have them check this out next monday.

Yeah the "C" could possibly mean computer but manufacturers can also have proprietary codes, especially for hybrids, that aren't part of the standard OBD-II format.   Please inform the service writer/desk that you want to know specifically what the codes stand for, otherwise, they may just give you some generic answer.

This forum has been a tremendous help in understanding our C-Max and finding solutions to the problems that have occurred.  And in particular, thanks to all the members who have shared their experiences and knowledge that is not available anywhere else on the planet.

This forum has been a tremendous help in understanding our C-Max and finding solutions to the problems that have occurred.  And in particular, thanks to all the members who have shared their experiences and knowledge that is not available anywhere else on the planet.

I agree 100% Joe!! I joined this forum in late December. I was desperate for information......any information on my C-MAX. There was so much that was new to me.....my last new car was 11 years ago....and so much that was new to.....well....most everyone here, because of the technology. I was so grateful to find this group of folks who were not only willing, but EAGER to share what they had learned about their cars. It's been a journey and a learning experience for all of us. We're glad to have you join us on the journey and look forward to your input as you learn about the car!

• 7 years later...

https://www.launchtech.co.uk/support/information/dtc-codes-list/

C41582 is U0415

C42482 is U0424

The full codes appear to be U0415:82-08 and U0415:82-08. 

Still trying to fix both problems.  May be heat related intermittent failures. I live in Central Texas. 

U0415 Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module

U0424 Invalid Data Received From HVAC Control Module

See full list at the website above.  Keep your shovel sharp and shade on your back.

Edited by Joel Concrete Saw
Add information

Have you scanned all modules for DTCs.  The Engineering Test Mode does not record all DTCs in the car.

U0415:86 Invalid Data Received From ABS Control Module: Signal Invalid This DTC sets when the Parking Aid Module (PAM) receives invalid network data from the ABS module with a faulted signal data input. RETRIEVE and REPAIR all non-network Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in the other modules on the network
U0424:82 Invalid Data Received From HVAC Control Module: Alive/Sequence Counter Incorrect/Not Updated Sets in continuous memory in the IPC if invalid data messages received from the HVAC module for 5 seconds or longer.

Possible Sources

• Communication concern
  • Battery voltage concern
  • HVAC module
  • IPC

U0424 - Invalid Data Received from HVAC Control Module

Description: Network DTC concerns occur during module to module communication.
Possible Causes:
  • Invalid data network concerns - data is transferred within the normal inter-module message, but contains known invalid data. The transmitting module logs a DTC related to the invalid data concern.
  • Missing message network concerns - missing message concerns are logged by the module upon failure to receive a message from another module within a defined retry period.
Diagnostic Aids: Check for other SOBDMC DTCs or SOBDMC related symptoms. Diagnose all other SOBDMC DTCs or SOBDMC related symptoms first.
Application   Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All   GO to Pinpoint Test QD .
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer