I own a C-MAX SEL and made sure it did not have the panoramic roof. It dosn't open to the outside and when the inside cover is moved back anyone in the back seat can see out it but if sitting in the front seats you don't see out unless you turn around and look out the roof, something I wouldn't suggest while driving. In other words the opening or view is behind the driver and front passengers head. I felt it was useless and a waste of $1200. Most that have arrived at dealers in my area have this option. I am sure some will like it but I do not.

Zippy the demo that we drove a few days ago had the panoramic roof. It does not open but does have a filter cover that you can close. Actually it looked very nice on the demo, but I ordered without as $1200 seemed a lot to pay and I thought it would be eve quieter without that feature. But it looks very nice with it.

I own a C-MAX SEL and made sure it did not have the panoramic roof. It dosn't open to the outside and when the inside cover is moved back anyone in the back seat can see out it but if sitting in the front seats you don't see out unless you turn around and look out the roof, something I wouldn't suggest while driving. In other words the opening or view is behind the driver and front passengers head. I felt it was useless and a waste of $1200. Most that have arrived at dealers in my area have this option. I am sure some will like it but I do not.

How far back from the beginning of the roof does the panaramic roof begin?

No the roof is fixed and does not open to vent as you asked.

Can't see the point of that. Additionally it will probably reduce the load capacity of the roof - my co-worker bought an Escape Titanium and was told that the load capacity would be reduced drastically (something like less than 100lbs) if he bought the pano roof. I'd also be suspect of the crash worthyness of a car with a glass roof.

It's too bad they did not even offer the option of a traditional sunroof since there is plenty of headroom in the C-max.

Edited by CNCGeek

I normally like the sun/moon roof and have had them on most of my previous cars. Unfortunately, the C Max pan roof just did not make any sense to me. The thin cloth closure has no insulation value for winter or summer so I would guess more heat/cool demand required to keep the car comfortable which would affect mileage. Since it can't be opened what is the point besides weakening the roof?

I think it's a stupid option, but I wish they would have done it the way it works on the Lincoln MKz, where the whole roof does open up which makes it almost kinda sorta like a convertible. I still can't quite believe I'm about to trade a BMW Hard-top convertible for a C-Max.

I wasn't going to order it, but after I put in my factory order for an SEL I phoned and ordered it. I did like the brightness of the interior on the demo we drove and the sliding cover filtered the bright light nicely. Since I loved the demo car and it had the panoramic roof, I thought I might live to regret not including it.

I've had a sunroof on my last 5 or 6 cars. I love the fresh air. Here in TX it is great to vent the heat on 100 degree+ days!

I looked at the sunroof on the C-Max. It is very large and has a neat motorized shade. However, since it doesn't move, it is worthless to me. It will only allow more heat into the car.

Worse yet, it is $1200. I'm sure that the sealed model is to increase mileage. However, It is way too expensive and way too non-functional for me. I didn't order it with my C-Max.

• 1 month later...

I would not buy it for the reasons others stated above, but the only Energi I was likely to see before the end of the year had it and I was stuck with it if I wanted the car. I actually love it. It makes a silver Max look great and it also makes the interior of the car quite nice. I probably still wouldn't order it but i am glad I have it - for now.

• 3 months later...

I love it. Especially when sitting in back. It makes driving in cities, mountains, or forests much better. We took a few hour drive up and down the Columbia Gorge and I, sitting in back, saw things I never had seen before since I could look through the roof! Normally I am focusing on driving or I can't see because I'm in the back seat. :)

I love the roof too.  First of all, we weren't sure we wanted it since it doesn't open and you really can't enjoy it from the front seats.  But, the passengers in the rear love it, and sometimes my wife will ride in the back just to enjoy it.  Also, in the winter on a sunny day, it really helps to heat the car up with the shade open, don't really need the heater unless it is really cold outside. 

To keep it cool in the summer, we got our's tinted with 20%, which with the shade shut should keep most of the heat out.  

Personally I have no problem with my pano roof.  Since I bought a dealer orderd SEL, it was included.  Had I ordered the car myself, I might not have got it.  But since I have it, I have enjoyed being able to open the motorized screen and let mother nature in. The roof has glass all the way to the top edge of the windshield, but there is a black mask applied so you cant see out from the inside.  The headliner runs from the edge of the windshield to just about directly over the drivers head, then the pano roof starts and continues to just above the rear seats.  The glass is designed to filter out excessive sun and heat with UV protection for both the passengers and for the leather interior. I will have s better idea this summer if this will let too much heat inside.  With the screen closed in summer months combined with the UV filter of the glass, I don't think it is going to be an issue.  I'm on the west coast in central California so we don't see the kind of heat say in Texas.  But given the right weather patterns we do get well over 100 in the summer months.  Hope this helps anyone considering this option?

Edited by mtb9153