Adding rear view camera

Yeah, a backup camera should have been part of the SEL trim level not part of a package.  That said, 302a has a lot of other nifty features to make it worth getting to me.  

Anyways, I have been contemplating getting a backup system for my wife's car which doesn't have a built in screen so I'm looking at a separate monitor.  Although not as tidy as tying into the factory screen, an external setup may be your best bet.  Lots of choices for the DIY'er on Amazon, ebay, etc.  If you're not a DIY'er, installers like Best Buy should be researched.

• 2 weeks later...

I have contacted coastaletech.com to inquire if they will support a group buy. I will create a new thread with the details once I get a response. I am not trying to add a rear view camera as i have the 302A package but I can't stand the unit locking out the majority of its features when the car is in motion. GM gives the option of having the lock-out disabled but not Ford.

UPDATE: I received the response and sadly they state they do not have discounts available at this time. With that said, I am going to be purchasing my unit through solidsignal as they list the product $30 cheaper.

FWIW I did call and ask numerous technical questions regarding this unit and I will try to pass on these answers as their website lacks in the details.

• If you have a factory camera you only need to install the three main plugs from the harness. The camera will operate as normal however now you are able to view the camera at any time aside from being in Reverse.
  • The unit is basically a pass-thru device. You can install MFT/Sync updates and it 'should' not affect the operation of the unit.
  • The device looks in the CANBUS for the code from the PCM saying car is in motion then blocks this code from the MFT system thereby keeping the entire system operational as if you are still in Park.
  • The USB update feature on the lockpick is mainly used to update firmware to support additional vehicles or change the originally referenced code if a major CANBUS change comes out.
  • You are free to leave the lockpick installed during dealership visits as the only issue you may have is the freedom in motion feature may stop working and then you only need to unplug for 5 minutes to resync to MFT.
Edited by ChuckJr

I have contacted coastaletech.com to inquire if they will support a group buy. I will create a new thread with the details once I get a response. I am not trying to add a rear view camera as i have the 302A package but I can't stand the unit locking out the majority of its features when the car is in motion. GM gives the option of having the lock-out disabled but not Ford.

UPDATE: I received the response and sadly they state they do not have discounts available at this time. With that said, I am going to be purchasing my unit through solidsignal as they list the product $30 cheaper.

FWIW I did call and ask numerous technical questions regarding this unit and I will try to pass on these answers as their website lacks in the details.

• If you have a factory camera you only need to install the three main plugs from the harness. The camera will operate as normal however now you are able to view the camera at any time aside from being in Reverse.
  • The unit is basically a pass-thru device. You can install MFT/Sync updates and it 'should' not affect the operation of the unit.
  • The device looks in the CANBUS for the code from the PCM saying car is in motion then blocks this code from the MFT system thereby keeping the entire system operational as if you are still in Park.
  • The USB update feature on the lockpick is mainly used to update firmware to support additional vehicles or change the originally referenced code if a major CANBUS change comes out.
  • You are free to leave the lockpick installed during dealership visits as the only issue you may have is the freedom in motion feature may stop working and then you only need to unplug for 5 minutes to resync to MFT.

I'm curious as to what features that are being locked out you want?  The only thing that ever gets locked out for me, is anything related to the keyboard. That gets enabled as soon as I stop (don't have to be in park).  I'm curious if blocking that command would screw up the hybrid display on MFT (not that that is mission critical).

NAV is a popular item that folks want to keep from being locked out; however, IIRC, Prius owners reported their version of a lockpik had issues with some NAV computations like ETA that were way off because the car was supposedly in "Park".  Hopefully the coastal e-tech unit has address that or the CMax NAV uses GPS and not the car's speedometer.

Here is a much cheaper Rear View Option but,.......unfortunately they don't provide access to the Manual.  It looks like you just need to tap into a Power Source / Negative Connection and plug into a video source.  All for under $20.00.

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0049LBJ56

Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera

Unfortunately won't work with the CMax (without a lockpick or the like,) because the display is locked out unless you're in Park.

I'm curious as to what features that are being locked out you want?  The only thing that ever gets locked out for me, is anything related to the keyboard. That gets enabled as soon as I stop (don't have to be in park).  I'm curious if blocking that command would screw up the hybrid display on MFT (not that that is mission critical).

I'd like for a passenger to be able to watch a video on the MFT display wihle driving.  OTOH, it's only 640x480 composite video, so it's probably not worth all the trouble when you can buy a better resolution tablet for a hundred bucks or so.

Yes the Navigation features is what we will use however the lockpick does allow video to be displayed while moving as well (I don't recommend because the driver will still look). Only other features are three more video inputs if you want to add more cameras, etc. There are programming features available to enable a front view camera once the vehicle is below 7mph but in drive (would work best for lifted trucks) or left camera view when turn signal engaged. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...