Cracked glass CMax roof

Just took two cracks in the glass roof of my CMax. Impact divots with long, long cracks. Could have been a highway rock (though I didn't hear it) or a hailstone (no other dents on the car). Has anyone had any experience with replacement or repair? I'm tempted to try one of the windshield repair operations rather than pony up deductible. Thx.

post-1137-0-96212300-1374176915_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, lots of friendly folks here. Hate to see that happen, and will now be even more worried about our pano roof(once it arrives).

I would avoid one of those that set up in parking lots, if unfamiliar with the company. I use Safelitte auto glass, national warranty. I have had them repair divots, and chips it has always been free to me. But it also has been only on the windshield. I have never had them repair a crack though.

Welcome to the forum, lots of friendly folks here. Hate to see that happen, and will now be even more worried about our pano roof(once it arrives).

I would avoid one of those that set up in parking lots, if unfamiliar with the company. I use Safelitte auto glass, national warranty. I have had them repair divots, and chips it has always been free to me. But it also has been only on the windshield. I have never had them repair a crack though.

I like Safelite too, although crack's that big probably need a replacement.  They file w/ insurance too.

I wonder if vandalism is a possibility.  I would be very surprised if hail stones or regular stones would do that for it is just too common a thing that Ford would have the sunroof be prepared for.  However, if it breaks that easily, I would think it is defective - perhaps it was tempered wrong or something.  I had a tempered glass coffee pot that exploded just kind of sitting there.  And my Dad had a truck and one of the windows shattered in the sun, just parked on the street.  

Unfortunately, if Ford dealers are anything like my old Toyota dealer, it costs $100 just to find out if it is covered under the warrantee. 

I'd get it replaced rather than have a glass repair guy epoxy the two holes and live with the cracks because there's a possibility that water could penetrate the cracks and cause interior damage that you may not notice for some time.

Also if you go with the glass repair guy and not replacement, when you go to sell / trade the car the value will be impaired with the cracks and at that time because you failed to report the damage in a timely fashion to your insurance provider, you will likely be stuck with the full cost of repair for a hit in the value of the car greater than the repair cost. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: the Panoramic roofs are on back, back order. I ordered one through Safelite and it was covered under the glass provisions in my Farmer's auto coverage, but none are in stock anywhere in Denver. After about a month and a half, one was shipped from the manufacturer but it was already broken into pieces. Meanwhile, I am driving around with clear tape covering the holes and have pretty much forgotten about it. I'll let you know when anything changes.

• 1 year later...

Any update on what happened to the panoramic sunroof glass repair?  I just found a small impact star on mine.  Not sure how it got there.  Only dime size star (or smaller) at the moment but suspect it will grow.

Do insurance companies treat moonroof glass the same way as windshield or door glass?  I.E. no deductible????

Any update on what happened to the panoramic sunroof glass repair?  I just found a small impact star on mine.  Not sure how it got there.  Only dime size star (or smaller) at the moment but suspect it will grow.

Do insurance companies treat moonroof glass the same way as windshield or door glass?  I.E. no deductible????

I had found a crack on my pano roof on my 2015 C-Max Energi when it had only about 250 miles on it.  The dealer took pictures and submitted it to Ford.  It was determined to be a stress crack and warranty covered the replacement.  I waited almost 4 weeks for a replacement roof to come in!

Not sure about the deductible being charged because I didn't have to claim it with my insurance.  Here is my post about the crack.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/3740-cracked-glass-roof-224-miles/?hl=roof