What color is Ice Storm?

RetiredJohn

What color do you consider Ice Storm?  In the past we've had a lot of problems with any blue car......I know, I know overly superstitious right?  Anyway I've only seen one C-Max in Ice Storm and I didn't give it much more than a quick glance because I thought it had a blue hue.  Some think its green....what say you?

I have Ice Storm, and I would say it is a chameleon like colour as it changes with the light.  However, primarily it seems a very very pale blue.  I have on occasion seen the green tones but that is rare.  I am luke warm about the colour and my husband doesn't really like it as he wanted red.  But one telling thing is that we have never received a compliment about our car's colour so I think it is perceived as very bland by most observers.  Would I order it again?  No probably not, but I am content enough with our colour as it is restful.  I do like the light leather that we ordered it with as it is very classy looking in combo.  It is all in the eyes of the beholder.  I know when we picked it up the dealer had it in the showroom under the lights and it looked lovely.  Not so much in everyday light.

I would agree. It is a very light grey blue and then sometimes it is a light sea foam green. I am also content about the colour but not overly excited. It is not like our fiesta which we get compliments on the colour all the time. It is lime squeeze green and a real head turner. We originally wanted the candy blue in the Cmax but could not get it so ended up with the ice storm. It is not very common as our dealer told us it is only available on ford hybrids so not many out there, not sure if this is correct but have not seen any others with this exact colour.

Cheers,

Bruce

Edited by Bruce Z

I don't know what it is about the green on the fiesta but it turns heads like no other colour car we have had before. I think it is also the look of the car as many have commented on the body lines and how bold it looks. Pickle I like it maybe thats the new name for our fiesta. No problem John hope the info helps.

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce and John

If they had had the C-MAX in lime green I would have snapped it up. I thought the colors for the Max were very limited! I got the Blue Candy w/med. light stone and love it. My husband calls it a *happy* color.  I get a lot of compliments and I NEVER have trouble finding it in a parking lot! :dance:

Edited by Adair

Laurel, The Ice Storm was my second choice. While waiting for mine to be built I almst caved several times! I found Ice Storms at other dealers with all my *wants* on them and almost had my salesman ask for a swap. But everyone talked me into waiting for *my car*. I'm glad I did, but I think I would be just as happy with the Ice Storm too. I'm not a *red* person, and after coming off of 11 years with a silver car I didn't want another neutral color ***No offense to the neutral color owners out there!!*** :worship:

I don't know what it is about the green on the fiesta but it turns heads like no other colour car we have had before. I think it is also the look of the car as many have commented on the body lines and how bold it looks. Pickle I like it maybe thats the new name for our fiesta. No problem John hope the info helps.

Cheers,

Bruce

I hope you do name your Fiesta "Pickle"  as it is a great name and all our neighbours would wander by and ask how Pickle was doing--great conversation starter to choose a name like Pickle.  Even the service guys at Mercedes would smile when I took Pickle in and told them to give Pickle the top of the line treatment.

I`m sad that the Ford C-MAX was not available in the similar but distinct Greenish Hue in the Paint Color Frosted Glass.  MY 2013 was the end of the line for that Paint Color as it was discontinued on the Ford Escape, the last Model to offer it.  I`m ordering a MY 2014 C-MAX and probably would pay the extra cost upgrade for the Ruby Red (but) my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback has the Candy Red Metallic which is very much alike, not quite as deep a shade of Red.  I`m soo tired of "50 Shades of Grey", White and Black.  Guess I`ll have to settle on Ice Storm as my only real option.  Don`t like the "blueish" hue on Ice Storm as I prefer the translucent Metallic Green of the discontinued color Frosted Glass but at no extra cost I can live with it.  Reminds me of the blueish tint in Older Women with greying white hair.  Here in South FL thats a common sight.

My Ice Storm is almost the exact same color as the Monterey Mist of my 2004 Thunderbird. Parking them side by side in the driveway there is little if any difference. I think they use, rename, then use again some of these popular colors.

I did, however like the Mystic color changing paint on my friends Cobra Mustang. Changes from Purple to Green to dark Blue, depending on the sun.

I'm lobbying for a mood ring color that changes according to MPG.

Not to be a Kill Joy and rain on anyones Parade of their love of exotic and (chameleon) Colors that appears to change shades depending on lighting, not (if) but (when) the Vehicle requires Auto Body ae: paint repair, its going to be a nightmare to get an exact match even from a "expert" Shop.  True, these tri-coats and metallics are lovely (but) they are very difficult to replicate to make touchups or repairs.

• 1 month later...

The phenomenon is called "metamerism" defined, per Wikipedia as:

the matching of apparent color of objects with different spectral power distributions.

I'll leave the link for anyone who wants to learn more about spectra, but a simple definition is "reflectance as a function of the wavelength of light," which we perceive as color.

The trick is that our eye has 3 types of color receptors, red, green and blue, so any two colors that excite the three receptors in the same proportion will be perceived as the same color. The big variable is illuminant, the color of the light source used to view the color. Daylight is universally accepted as a standard, but direct sunlight is different from indirect/skylight.

In direct sunlight, Ice Storm is a greenish hue, and since sunlight is the normal standard illuminant, the car really is green.

Park in the shade on the North side of a building on a clear day and I get the car looks blue. That's what makes it metameric...

The difference, analytically, is that sunlight has a ~6000K color temperature, while skylight is more like 9000K.  for those who haven't studied color theory, that means there is a lot more blue content in skylight and a lot more red in direct sunlight. That the car is perceived as a different color is what makes it metameric.

Have fun,

Frank

• 2 months later...

I sometimes see it as pale green and sometimes light blue.  My other vehicle is black, so this is a very welcome change.  It is a very tasteful color that doesn't show the dirt and that makes me a happy driver.  Love the light stone leather interior and really will love it in the summer when I hop in and don't burn my legs on black leather.  

I'm really enjoying my clean color right now.  I broke my foot a month ago so my husband has been driving it when it rains because his is clean.  Mine still looks clean even though it needs a bath.  On another note I'm really looking forward to washing it in a few weeks so I can see that baby blue come shining through as I wipe it down  :flirt:

I'm curious, how many owners do we have to the north in Canada?  I find myself enjoying more lately on Netflix recent programs produced in Canada.  i.e. Continuum.  Great programming and actors coming from there.

I think we are only a handful in Canada on the forum.  We have Ryan in Chilliwack, BC, Roggie in Montreal, Bruce in Kamloops, BC, and I think one other Vancouverite has posted in the last while.  We do have some great Canadian productions.  My favourite for the kids and for the young at heart is Heartland (all about horses in Alberta and it is very wholesome and entertaining too boot).  I think Continuum is shot here in Vancouver.  And of course I have my favourite Battle of the Blades with the macho NHL players learning to pairs ice dance with the likes of Jaime Salle.  I find there is little on TV these days other than kooky reality shows.  I have reverted to my childhood and often watch reruns of Rifleman, Big Valley, Dragnet, Bonanza etc. We have a channel devoted to the boomers.