What color is Ice Storm?

RetiredJohn

When we bought our C-Max, i wanted a color that would not absorb too much heat from the sun.  We were going from a black car.  White was my color of choice.  My wife is an artist so I leave color choices up to her. She chose ice storm. It has worked out great!  Very little solar gain and, as others have said, it shows a very small amount of dirt.  I think it is quite elegant. 

• 4 months later...

Depending on the light conditions the color looks greenish or has a blue tint. To my sees in bright sun light the color looks like a greenish metallic but in the shade it has more of a blue hue. On over cast days it looks pale green, with no metallic appearance.

Whatever it is, I am glade to not own another silver or white car. I actually like how it changes appearance with different light conditions. Will never be boring to look at.

... in bright sun light the color looks like a greenish metallic but in the shade it has more of a blue hue. ...

You're seeing the effect of changing illuminant color temperature. Sunlight is "white" by many definitions, so you see the true color.

In the shade, it depends how much light falling on the car is skylight and how much is sunlight reflected from nearby objects. As we all know, the sky is blue. If we illuminate the car with skylight it will be blue...

But if the shade you parked in was next to a red barn in full sunlight, you might think it's pink...

And being blue-green, I wonder to what extent color blindness plays into it?

HAve fun,

Frank

Sounds right to me i.e. Lorne Greene.  Raymond Burr must be in the running too with Perry Mason. I love Dragnet--no fluff, no psycho babble, as you say "jus the facts ma'am. Jus the facts."

Laurel, I loved those too but I really liked the first cartoon to make it to prime-time. 7:30 on Friday nights if my boomer brain serves me correctly.  None other than Jonny Quest :happy feet: but on the other end of the spectrum Saturday mornings were incomplete without the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour over a bowl of Cheerios.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The nature of the  Ice Storm color introduces some uncertainty when trying to tell someone who has not seen it what to look for when arranging a meeting, but I find it to be far from boring.  If variability and change are upsetting to someone, I could understand that they might never be comfortable with the color.  However, I think the relatively distinctive appearance of the C-Max make the need to refer to a car that may appear to be a shade of light blue or green - or some combination thereo- not a real source of confusion.  I like something that has a variable nature, myself and enjoy seeing the range of hues reflected in my C-Max.

• 3 months later...

I've not exactly seen this color in person for someone to say, "Hey, that is Ice Storm!", but I have observed a color that I consider a very pale green.  Since 'Max isn't offering a "GREEN" color, and since that color is my least favorite color on a car, I seem to be gravitating toward it.  So do you all consider this a variation of green or blue, or a combination of both?  Or does anyone even give a snap?

Edited by BoomerGer

When I look at our car under nearly all conditions it appears blue to me, but *every* now and then it will change into a sort of sea-greenish color.  It did so for the first time in months last week -- both my wife and I remarked as we came back to where we parked it how different it looked.  That is for us one of the charms about the car, though, is that even though it looks blue to us most of the time even the blue it looks varies.

But as folks have remarked here on this thread, to some people it looks green most of the time -- just the opposite of what my wife and I experience.  I think the color effect varies so much by individual that you'd have to look at it for yourself to see what *you* make of it.  Color is tough anyway (how do we really know WHAT anyone sees as the color "red", for example?) but in the case of Ice Storm it really is a "your mileage will vary" sort of situation (which applies a lot to the C-Max in general <g>).

(I can say this that in general green is one of my least favorite colors, particular some of the greens that are present in manufactured stuff, but that our car never looks anything other than really nice to me.  I didn't want anything really garish, and I didn't want any neutral tone so Ice Storm was really the only color left and I'm glad we went with it).

I've not exactly seen this color in person for someone to say, "Hey, that is Ice Storm!", but I have observed a color that I consider a very pale green.  Since 'Max isn't offering a "GREEN" color, and since that color is my least favorite color on a car, I seem to be gravitating toward it.  So do you all consider this a variation of green or blue, or a combination of both?  Or does anyone even give a snap?

It is definitely blue, but the overtones will look slightly green at sunset and in some artificial lights.

BTW, 2014 is the last year for this color.

• 3 months later...