Highest MPG CMax Club (minimum 500 miles)

Jus-A-CMax

61.6mph,48.2mpg, 646.1mi.,10:29hrs and 13.4gal

Gadzooks !!!    :worship: :worship: :worship:   That is ding dang good Paul, but what is really amazing is your pitting skills & or bl___er control - do you shut it down and coast into the rest stops?

Nevertheless, it ain't 50mpg's, so back to work for you (tehe)!

Nick

((( whatever the case, no drafting allowed )))

---- sorry for thread interruption conversation, back to best MPG 500s above ----

OK, so I did it on my 5K trip to San Diego and back.  I did it between Flagstaff,AZ and Amarillo,TX with two stops in Gallup,NM and Albuquerque,NM and made the 500mi. around San Juan,NM. I have New Michelin's on the car and Odometer is off by 1.019% according to Garmin GPS. Actual numbers are for mileage(512mi), speed(66MPH) and 47.1mpg for the whole tank and looks like 47.3mpg for 500mi.

Here is how I did it, I used a banking system where I would save MPH and MPG.  So if MPH got low I would trade MPG for MPH.  I used Garmin to track MPH average and Smart Gauge to track MPG average. I took I-40 all the way to Memphis,TN.  The elevation drop from Flagstaff to San Juan is about 3,000Ft, but there are three over 7K ft. summits  between the two city's.  Starting about 2PM in the afternoon from Flag with the plan that I should be able to bank both MPG's and MPH's going down to Winslow(50mi. and 2K ft drop), but things went  BAD quickly with two different problems.  Rain and Semi's, as it turns out it rained at least 1/3rd of my trip and had to deal with alot of Semi's, easily half of the traffic on I-40.  Rain hurts both MPG's and MPH's and you can't draft Semi's in the rain if you want to see where you are going.  On the other hand being forced to follow Semi's while they are passing each other helps MPG's but kills MPH's.  So By the time I got to Winslow things where looking BAD, instead of having alot of extra MPG's and MPH's  banked,  I was already short with 45mpg, 67mph, I almost gave up not seeing how I could make up the deficit.  Then things started to improve, the rain stopped and I was able to start passing Semi's and get some drafting help while I was waiting to get around them. Then about 40mi. later the winds changed from cross wind to tail wind so then the numbers were getting better.

I stopped in Gallup, NM with about 67.5mph and 47.5mpg, but with stopping and getting going again I lost 1 mph on the Garmin, worse on Smart Gauge.  OUCH! Then I hit rain again and winds stopped, still I was ahead of the game when I got to Albuquerque. Lost .5mph for that stop and hit rain again, but not to bad. Eventually I just kept MPH average at 66 and aloud MPG's to slowly climb knowing Smart Gauge would be optimistic by a couple of MPG's.  Most of the time I was going 69-70mph when I wasn't stuck behind Semi's or in construction zones. You may have noticed my top speed on the Garmin was 81.3mph! This exercise shows that 500mi. is a long way to go without having weather and traffic problems. When conditions are favorable, my CMAX will get 47mpg at 70mph. :)   Paul     

highspeedMPGSmartG

highspeedMPGGarmin

• 11 months later...

Great numbers Bterhune, but keep in mind that this is the Hybrid forum as opposed to the Plug-In Hybrid.  Keep up the good numbers in your Energi !!!  (We here can't dream of those numbers, but for short periods descending mountain passes.)

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My last fill-up stated 605 miles to empty. it's been slowly improving since I got it a few weeks ago. I haven't let it go far enough to empty to see the 500-600+ yet on the trip odometer, but I know I will soon. :) I'm loving the mileage so far. Last fill up it avg. around 45mpg+ Just took a trip to Philly and back via Bethlehem, PA. A lot nice long hills to charge and coast. :)

Fillup for last leg to Philly.

Edited by WNY

post-718-0-71007900-1442723816_thumb.jpg

I was having trouble uploading the trip meter jpg.  It comes out small.  Would appreciate help in how to do it right.

721.2 miles        444.3 EV
53.4 MPG
13.49 gal

Miles driven on car 18597.3

Regular fuel
mostly suburban driving 

Actually was having fun when I was by myself in the car rather than boredom.  Not so orthodox with people in the car.

Edited by obob

Best tank so far 56.7 MPG on Fuelly.   happy%20feet.gif   I also had a new high for going to work in the morning, 75.4 MPG.  I love the warm summer months!

I did not get a screen shot of the dash for the last fill up.  I usually fill up every week or two which is about 1/4 to 1/2 tank.  My avg below of the last 10 fill ups is more than 500 miles.  52.3 on Fuelly

Fuel

Best Work FE

Best tank so far 56.7 MPG on Fuelly.   happy%20feet.gif   I also had a new high for going to work in the morning, 75.4 MPG.  I love the warm summer months!

I did not get a screen shot of the dash for the last fill up.  I usually fill up every week or two which is about 1/4 to 1/2 tank.  My avg below of the last 10 fill ups is more than 500 miles.  52.3 on Fuelly

I hate the burning hot summer months -- at least in terms of MPG. I've had to make some short trips recently in the middle of the day (90+ degree heat and high humidity), between the A/C and short trip it absolutely destroys my fuel economy. I'll be glad for those mild winter days that are coming in another month or two. ;)

Funny how geography changes our perceptions....

Seriously, I've had some short drives (between 1 and 5 miles) in the last few days on a full tank that is hurting my current mpgs (I think I'm in the low 30s for this tank) -- not to mention I had some type of road debris in a rear tire last Tuesday and had to replace the tire. 

I hate the burning hot summer months -- at least in terms of MPG. I've had to make some short trips recently in the middle of the day (90+ degree heat and high humidity), between the A/C and short trip it absolutely destroys my fuel economy. I'll be glad for those mild winter days that are coming in another month or two. ;)

Funny how geography changes our perceptions....

Seriously, I've had some short drives (between 1 and 5 miles) in the last few days on a full tank that is hurting my current mpgs (I think I'm in the low 30s for this tank) -- not to mention I had some type of road debris in a rear tire last Tuesday and had to replace the tire. 

Guess we need a C-Max neighborhood here in Michigan for the summer and then we all spend the winter down your way. 

Maybe "C-Max Hills Subdivision"   ;)

In Arizona, they just call those people Snowbirds. Texas seems to be less popular with the Snowbirds, likely because of the humidity here.

Yeah, I'm from Texas. It cannot beat the desert or south Florida for winter conditions. It really isn't that humid in most areas away from the coast, but it gets pretty cold in most parts of Texas north of San Antonio.

721 miles - Rockin tank there Obob - hope you have this posted on the 600 mile tank club !!!!!

BTW all, ............. this is the 500 mile / best MPG thread.  (Just try to resist the temptation to down hill this effort.) 

Counting on you WNY to crack the 600 mile club soon !

Scottwood:  you have 'short tanks' - hope you get a chance to extend those out before the frost, and also join the 600 mile tank club.

Cheering !!  :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Thx. i'm trying! we have a couple longer trips scheduled, so hopefully i can hit the 600 mile mark.!   :)

My work everyday is a 15 mile drive. I can usually do about 4-5 miles on EV and 10-11 on ICE. 90% hiway at 65mph. 

Edited by WNY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...