Question about remote start install...

Can the Ford remoste start system be installed on our cars after they have been built?

The aftermarket alarm+remote-start installed by the dealer's comtractor bricked our cruise control and threw a CEL (wrench). We are thinking of having them downgrade to only the remote start.

When I was shopping, the factory website offered a dealer installed remote start as an accessory.  IIRC, there are two different units but only one can be dealer installed.

Edit:  just checked by building one on their website.  It's under the exterior accessories for $395.  It states "dealer installation recommended".

Edited by fotomoto

When I was shopping, the factory website offered a dealer installed remote start as an accessory. IIRC, there are two different units but only one can be dealer installed.

Thanks, that's good info. I may just go ahead and have them downgrade it to RS only. I'd like to keep it as OEM as possible considering the involvement with the car's system it has.

What's the difference between the two units?

Thanks, that's good info. I may just go ahead and have them downgrade it to RS only. I'd like to keep it as OEM as possible considering the involvement with the car's system it has.

What's the difference between the two units?

I've had both units installed.  One is bi-directional which increases the range, and makes the key fob beep when the car is started (hence the bi-directional).  The other one has a shorter range and doesn't have bi-directional, so you hit the button and hope the car started but you have no idea if it did, unless you are close enough to hear it honk.  With the non-bidirectional, you get 2 fobs, bi-directional you get one.

Some pics of the antennae: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1167-2013-c-max-sel-ordered-1120-and-just-now-getting-vin/?p=8638

Update: after telling the service guy that I'd rather have the alarm pulled and the Ford bi-directional remote start installed, he had the stuff ordered and ready to come in.  Dropped off the car and they "fixed" the alarm+RS module.  

The way it works is that I double tap the trunk button on the aftermarket key fob and the car starts.  Then after the car is started, I have to hit the 'unlock' button on the aftermarket key fob; if I don't use the unlock button the car shuts off or goes into alarm when I open a door.  

Does the Ford module work this way?  It seems to be pointless to have a keyless entry on the car if I have to pull out the key fob again to open the doors.

Update: after telling the service guy that I'd rather have the alarm pulled and the Ford bi-directional remote start installed, he had the stuff ordered and ready to come in.  Dropped off the car and they "fixed" the alarm+RS module.  

The way it works is that I double tap the trunk button on the aftermarket key fob and the car starts.  Then after the car is started, I have to hit the 'unlock' button on the aftermarket key fob; if I don't use the unlock button the car shuts off or goes into alarm when I open a door.  

Does the Ford module work this way?  It seems to be pointless to have a keyless entry on the car if I have to pull out the key fob again to open the doors.

I've never tried to unlock the door and then open it, but yes, the car will shut off as soon as you open it the door.  From my understanding it always does this on vehicles equipped with MyKey.  If it didn't, then you could get around the MyKey restrictions by just using remote start.  I wish it would only do that if you had MyKey enabled though.

I figured that the car would stay locked until you walked up to it and grabbed the handle if you had your Ford key on your person, just like normal, otherwise the car is locked and the door wouldn't open.

That's exactly right.  I guess I'm confused.  I thought you were saying that if you used the fob to unlock the car while it was running, and then opened the door, the car would not shut off.  I was saying I have tried that, I always just walk up to the car and pull the door handle, it unlocks, the door opens, and the car shuts off.

Right, that's what I was saying on how it functions.

I don't understand why it requires you to unlock the car with the key fob.  The doors stay locked until you operate the handle like normal.  Seems ridiculous to make me pull my keys out again.

My question was if the Ford OEM system also makes you unlock the doors with the key fob or if that was something unique to my after market system.

Right, that's what I was saying on how it functions.

I don't understand why it requires you to unlock the car with the key fob.  The doors stay locked until you operate the handle like normal.  Seems ridiculous to make me pull my keys out again.

My question was if the Ford OEM system also makes you unlock the doors with the key fob or if that was something unique to my after market system.

Ok, so the OEM bi-directional (and unidirectional) both operate as follows:

1. Start with locked car.

2. Push the button twice on the remote start vob.

3. Car starts (with Bi-Directional the remote will beep after it receives confirmation from the car).

4. Walk up to Car, pull door handle, car unlocks and door opens.

5. Car shuts off.

This scenario also happens:

1. Start with locked car.

2. Push the button twice on the remote start vob.

3. Car starts (with Bi-Directional the remote will beep after it receives confirmation from the car).

4. Walk up to Car, unlock door with key fob button.

5. Car unlocks.

6. Open door with handle.

7. Car shuts off.

So if the Master Key starts the car, and the Slave Key gets in to drive it, there's a potential that the car will default to the Master for it's MyKey setting?

No, it's if you use remote start to start the car, it has no idea whether that was the master key or the slave key that was used.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two more questions on how the Ford OEM remote start system works; I'm curious to see if it is how my aftermarket unit is behaving.  It really pisses me off that scenario 1 happens.

Scenario 1

1.  Turn off vehicle and close all doors

2.  Lock the vehicle using the C-Max key fob (or remote start key fob)

3.  Open car by walking up to it and grabbing door handle

4.  Alarm sounds

Scenario 2

1.  Unlock car by grabbing door handle

2.  Open driver and driver rear door

3.  Remote start the car with the doors open

4.  Close rear door, and get in driver seat, close front door

5.  Car does not shut off

6.  Put car into Reverse and start driving

7.  Car shuts off

I have two more questions on how the Ford OEM remote start system works; I'm curious to see if it is how my aftermarket unit is behaving.  It really pisses me off that scenario 1 happens.

Scenario 1

1.  Turn off vehicle and close all doors

2.  Lock the vehicle using the C-Max key fob (or remote start key fob)

3.  Open car by walking up to it and grabbing door handle

4.  Alarm sounds

Scenario 2

1.  Unlock car by grabbing door handle

2.  Open driver and driver rear door

3.  Remote start the car with the doors open

4.  Close rear door, and get in driver seat, close front door

5.  Car does not shut off

6.  Put car into Reverse and start driving

7.  Car shuts off

Neither of those scenarios happen with the Ford OEM system.

Also, w/ Scenario 2, you cannot start the car with the doors open.

• 2 weeks later...