Spare Tire

sdaustin6483

It does not have a spare but does have a electric pump located under the passengers seat to air up a low or flat. Ford roadside assistance does come standard with the C-MAX and can be called if the mobilitypump isn't enough.

Some car manufacturers are delivering without even a spare space saver low mileage donut tire, in fact I believe 2 far eastern car manufacturers have eliminated spares on all their cars. The Chevy Volt may not have one either if I remember correctly.

Being a little concerned about a possible blowout during a long trip especially traveling at night we have secured a new in appearance 17 inch spare Donut (space saver tire) with proper 5 bolt holes that fits our car for a mere $24 at a local salvage yard that we can place in the when we take any trips of distance out of our area. We already own a nice spanner lug wrench and car jack which will also go in the car when we do take one of those long trips. By the way the $24 was a great deal. I called a local Ford Dealer and asked for a price on a 17 inch space saver and was quoted $384 and he wasn't sure if it was a rim only or rim/tire so we feel real good about the $24 purchase. Hey! the thing looks brand new.

I had never owned one of these pumps before; However a co-worker has had one for several years that he purchased from a retail store (Sears or Autozone) and has aired up many tires for

co- workers over the past 20 years. He has probably aired a tire up for me on a company car three or four times allowing me to drive it to a tire repair facility. They work great, just don't have a blowout. That's why I located a space saver spare for travel. Tire and tools will only come out of the basement when we travel away from our local area, vacation etc. and yes we will have room for it and luggage.

By the way I can't remember the last time I have had a blowout!

To me at least I think it's all part of a tradeoff. Less total vehicle weight equals better fuel mileage. Yeah, maybe the auto makers save a few dollars by omitting the spare time, but as they try to shave weight out of the vehicle for improved fuel mileage, something has to give.

I think Zoom has the right idea, get a spare and jack to carry with you when you take a road trip and just wing it when in the city since you are no more than 30 minutes from a tow and probably less to a tire shop. I agree though it is a big negative to be reliant on a compressor and some goo if stuck on the side of the road. Ford should have also included something like the reflectors you get in a roadside emergency kit - would be nice since anyone with a flat in a c-max will be sitting on the side of the road for a while.

I was looking over the manual and noticed that there does not seem to be any info on where to place a jack. I emailed ford about this and hopefully they will provide some info. There are some areas which I suspect are the correct places to seat a jack, but hopefully Ford will verify it. Additionally I am looking for a compatible lightweight jack I can carry on road trips.

I also read in the manual (pg 341) that once the goo is put in the tire, the TPMS and valve stem will need to be replaced by the dealer. I may have to pick up a spare to add to my road trip kit - any Ford people around here know the part number?

Ford got back with me regarding the locations on the vehicle where it is safe to place a jack. This is what they said:

<...>"I was advised by one of our Technical Subject Matter Experts that there are 4 lift points under the vehicle at each corner of the vehicle on the under body pinch welds. There is a picture of the location of these points in the workshop manual. However, we are unable to provide the picture to you. Their best recommendation is to either ask your local Ford dealer to show the location or the customer could purchase a copy of the workshop manual. Shop Manual is available from Helm at 1-800-782-4356 or atwww.helminc.com. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We are more than happy to address them for you."

Not the best answer in the world, but the last person I corresponded with got me the best answer he could from the techs. The diagram would have been better, but I am guessing they have a policy against giving out the service manual pages to just anybody. Hopefully the dealer can copy the page from the service manual for me to carry in the car. Missing the lift points in the owners manual is a big oversight by Ford IMHO, especially on a hybrid where you don't really want to guess where to place a jack - it's doubtful that the AAA guy would have that info handy in the case of a blowout.

I am also still looking for a lightweight jack that will work with the C-Max, any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I just had an idea. So the Energi's load floor is raised due to the larger battery pack... Any way to make a similar shelf and put the spare underneath? It could potentially be made to look stock. Of course one of the reasons that many of us did not consider the Energi was the refusal to compromise on trunk space... But for those that did not have that concern, maybe it's worth exploring.

Lot of paranoia here.  

I'm not concerned about not having a spare tire and I do a lot of long trips back East.  I've logged nearly 1.5 million miles in 49 years of driving and only one time did I suffer a blowout with my 1979 Honda Accord when I hit the side of a massive pothole on a 2 lane road on a rainy, cold night.  Also, I've never had to change a tire on the road albeit I've had too many nails / screws in tires to count.   With the odds of a blowout being very slim, for me it's simply not worth buying and hauling around a spare.  

Lot of paranoia here.

I'm not concerned about not having a spare tire and I do a lot of long trips back East. I've logged nearly 1.5 million miles in 49 years of driving and only one time did I suffer a blowout with my 1979 Honda Accord when I hit the side of a massive pothole on a 2 lane road on a rainy, cold night. Also, I've never had to change a tire on the road albeit I've had too many nails / screws in tires to count. With the odds of a blowout being very slim, for me it's simply not worth buying and hauling around a spare.

It was not some mass paranoia that made a spare, a jack and an iron standard equipment until recently ;)   A spare was simply the victim of better fuel economy standards, but it is not a foolish thing to carry.  I don't have the miles that you do, but I have had to replace several tires on the side of the road for myself and others, in less than favorable conditions.  I have never used roadside assistance, except for towing when the vehicle was disabled.  Although roadside assistance is no doubt a great thing, and I may give it a try if I am in the city and need to, sometimes there is no choice but to address a problem yourself  :sos: .  Blow outs happen, road debris which rips the sidewall happens, punctures larger than a nail happen.  Carrying a spare is a good idea, and I plan to do so on any road trips where there is the probability of being miles from service, going through areas with possible spotty cell coverage, or when staying on schedule is important for whatever reason.  The hit to fuel economy is likely small on a road trip, which would probably have many highway miles in a car packed with gear anyway.  To each his own, but please don't call me paranoid, just prepared (preparanoid maybe? :) ).

...That said, I think the Ford Mustang spare (17") and jack may work - but I am open to suggestions.  I plan to buy or make a bag (which will be re-enforced with some nylon webbing) for the spare and some tools - including a good iron since the ones they give you with spares are almost universally too short to get the proper torque to remove a tire.  The bag is going to be secured to the cargo tie down points to keep it from becoming a projectile in a crash, but it will be easy enough to remove for normal city driving.

Edited by CNCGeek

I have not had a spare tire in several cars in the last few years so it doesn't bother me.  Plus I ride a motorcycle so I'm used to not having a spare tire on the road.  But I did buy a smaller version of the Tire Repair kit I carry on my Harley for the C-Max to allow me to plug any holes too big for the Ford sealer kit to handle alone.  Here is the kit I bought, you can find variations of it at most automotive and tire stores.  Having a repair kit, to augment the Ford kit, isn't as good as a spare but it will handle anything I'd be willing to patch...and it is a lot cheaper and easier to haul around!

Edited by RedLdr1

It was not some mass paranoia that made a spare, a jack and an iron standard equipment until recently

But they were made standard equipment before cell phones, complimentary roadside assistance, TPMS, small 12v air pumps, and much much advanced tire technology.

For most people in 2013, a spare is simply not necessary.

But they were made standard equipment before cell phones, complimentary roadside assistance, TPMS, small 12v air pumps, and much much advanced tire technology.

For most people in 2013, a spare is simply not necessary.

All the tech you mentioned has been available at least the 90's and spares were standard then - it is the fuel economy standards which will kill the spare tire.  TPMS is not gonna help if you need a spare since it can only alert you to a problem, not fix it. 

In the city I agree though that carrying a spare is not necessary, and I won't be hauling one around on my normal commute.  But on road trips there are too many variables to getting roadside assistance (cell coverage, distance from service, the possibility of not being near a tire store which can get me going again in less than half a day). I've been stranded several times in other people's vehicles due to mechanical breakdowns, and it is not fun to spend a day in some podunk while they wait for parts from the city to show up - and just getting to a competent garage can be a matter of luck. With a tire is not likely you'd have to wait a day, but possible, or you may have to settle for a less than ideal new tire. On the flip side I've had a blowout on a road trip and been delayed only a couple hours after changing to my spare, and was able to go to a tire store where I had a roadhazard warranty.

I'd also consider the limits of the roadside assistance offered - the terms for Ford's say they will tow to the nearest dealer within 35 miles, not the nearest tire store. They also do not say they will bring a tire with them so it means waiting for roadside assistance, a tow or ride to get a tire and a ride back to the vehicle to change it out - or a tow, you could easily blow half a day on that if all goes right. Changing a tire is not a challenging thing to do, having a spare just makes it a whole lot simpler ;)  But like I said to each his own.

Edited by CNCGeek

I have not had a spare tire in several cars in the last few years so it doesn't bother me.  Plus I ride a motorcycle so I'm used to not having a spare tire on the road.  But I did buy a smaller version of the Tire Repair kit I carry on my Harley for the C-Max to allow me to plug any holes too big for the Ford sealer kit to handle alone.  Here is the kit I bought, you can find variations of it at most automotive and tire stores.  Having a repair kit, to augment the Ford kit, isn't as good as a spare but it will handle anything I'd be willing to patch...and it is a lot cheaper and easier to haul around!

That was one of the things I bought for my tool kit. The instructions on the mobility kit say that using it will require replacing the TPMS (not sure if that is always the case, but I'd at least count on buying a new one), and since the repair kit will do the same thing without breaking the sensor, it would be the first resort for me if I had to patch a nail hole.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not into this tire mobility kit nonsense. What if you're get a nice gash in the sidewall or something a little larger than a toothpick sized hold? I guess you gotta call and wait for a tow truck. GRRRRRRRRR

This past Wednesday night, the wife had a flat in town.  Turns out it was a sidewall puncture.  I didn't find it until I put the can of fix a flat in it and it wouldn't hold air.  She called the Ford roadside assistance, and when she told them she thought it was vandalism, they stated they would only respond to road hazard damaged tires.  I used the plug kit I keep in my truck to plug the 3/8 inch slit in the driver rear tire, and fortunately it held enough air to limp the few miles home and later to the tire shop.

Today (Friday), I'm good to go, but $246 poorer after replacing a tire with 4,100 miles on it.  

Ford said they would send a tow, but I would owe $135 for the service.  I can understand their policy and don't have a problem with it, but that's not what you want to hear in the middle of the night broke down in a not so good neighborhood.  Thankfully I had other options (plugging and private insurance).

Thank God the sidewall plug worked in this case.  We had to put about 10 miles on it, but we never had to add air.  I only put enough air in it to limp around.  I didn't want to put 30+ in it only to push the plug out.  

Of all the 100s of thousands (probably over 1 million) of miles in my family's driving, I've never had a sidewall puncture before.  Just my luck to happen to the new car with the most expensive tires.

I'm buying a donut spare to keep at the house.  I think I'll take my chances on the road with the factory setup.

I'm putting a plug kit in the C-Max.

• 2 weeks later...
The Focus and the Escape have spare tires and, one assumes jacks.  Anyone know if either of these jacks will fit the C-Max?

I have acquired a regular tire and wheel as a spare and a jack and lug wrench for an Escape.  They fit reasonably well in the back of my C-Max and will greatly reduce my unease at the thought of driving in the countryside without a spare.

Have one like that for my goldwing, only difference is there a couple of larger compressed air cannisters with it that will get some pressure in the tire and lessen the load on the built in air compressor on the bike, have the larger version of it in the storage compartment in front of the second row seats