Spare Tire

sdaustin6483

I don't take a lot of road trips anymore. But I am thinking when we do,I just might have to get a cartop carrier and put a donut spare in it. I like to drive at night mostly, and don't want to be stranded on the side of the road with the wife and kids. Yea, it will probably affect the mileage, but at least I'll feel better. If it happens in town, I will just use the F150 and tow it to be fixed myself.

Edited by slampro

Ok, so now I have 14,500 miles and 8 month on CMAX. And you know what

- I already lost 1/2 day because it does not have spare tire. Tire was broken in halves by the brick on freeway.

- and in other case I used their kit (tire had small puncture) and it worked fine, through I prefer to have both, mobility kit + SPARE.

SPARE is absolute, 100%, MUST for any long trip. No way to use service if you are sticked with flat tire on mountain road 100 miles from big cities.

What I think they could do or even they MUST do:

- offer spare tire KIT. It can have some holder to fix it outside on the back, or inside, and protective case. So if we make long trip, we can take it (even if it takes some MPG). Else, as I said, car became useless for any trips.

- their SERVICE which they offer for free should bring SPARE tire. Not tow you (and then you lost 1/2 day as for example no one can fix your tire Sunday evening) but just bring and install spare tire. They can charge for it or just lease, no matter.

Else... I don't know,. I love this car, but spare tire became a show stopper - I can;t actually use it (car) for the long trips, especially in bad weather.  Maybe, _NO SPARE_ is OK for all electric ar (which definitely never will make long trips, such as SFBA - Yellowstone - Moab - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - SFBA) or for small city-only cars like Smart, but it is 100% MUST for any other car.

I completed my spare tire kit.  I found an unused temporary wheel+tire from a late-model Ford Taurus at a 'Pick and Pull' place.  It cost all of $18.  I will use the jack from our other car (fits C-Max seam jack point with no problems) along with a 19mm socket and long ratchet wrench.  We will use it on our vacation to Idaho and Montana this summer and at other times where we venture away from main highways.

It takes a relatively small amount of space in the boot and I will secure it with a ratchet strap to the tie-down points. Because of its smaller diameter and width, I will only mount it in a rear position (in case of a front flat a full-size rear wheel will be switched to the front ).

T135/70-15 temp spare compared to stock tire of C-Max:

gallery_25_26_693.jpg

Edited by DR61

Ok, so now I have 14,500 miles and 8 month on CMAX. And you know what

- I already lost 1/2 day because it does not have spare tire. Tire was broken in halves by the brick on freeway.

- and in other case I used their kit (tire had small puncture) and it worked fine, through I prefer to have both, mobility kit + SPARE.

SPARE is absolute, 100%, MUST for any long trip. No way to use service if you are sticked with flat tire on mountain road 100 miles from big cities.

What I think they could do or even they MUST do:

- offer spare tire KIT. It can have some holder to fix it outside on the back, or inside, and protective case. So if we make long trip, we can take it (even if it takes some MPG). Else, as I said, car became useless for any trips.

- their SERVICE which they offer for free should bring SPARE tire. Not tow you (and then you lost 1/2 day as for example no one can fix your tire Sunday evening) but just bring and install spare tire. They can charge for it or just lease, no matter.

Else... I don't know,. I love this car, but spare tire became a show stopper - I can;t actually use it (car) for the long trips, especially in bad weather.  Maybe, _NO SPARE_ is OK for all electric ar (which definitely never will make long trips, such as SFBA - Yellowstone - Moab - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - SFBA) or for small city-only cars like Smart, but it is 100% MUST for any other car.

That's why I sprung for a full size wheel and tire and tie it down in the back.  I was in a hurry but you could probaby find a cheaper one with the same geometry if you researched a bit.

I completed my spare tire kit.  I found an unused temporary wheel+tire from a late-model Ford Taurus at a 'Pick and Pull' place.  It cost all of $18.  I will use the jack from our other car (fits C-Max seam jack point with no problems) along with a 19mm socket and long ratchet wrench.  We will use it on our vacation to Idaho and Montana this summer and at other times where we venture away from main highways.

It takes a relatively small amount of space in the boot and I will secure it with a ratchet strap to the tie-down points. Because of its smaller diameter and width, I will only mount it in a rear position (in case of a front flat a full-size rear wheel will be switched to the front ).

T135/70-15 temp spare compared to stock tire of C-Max:

gallery_25_26_693.jpg

I have a T135-90R15 which is also smaller.  ( Is that 70 a typo or is that the size of your spare?)  I tested it on the front with traction control off and it pulled on braking(I assume because it is turning faster).  If I had time I would only use the spare on the back, but having tested it, I could it use short term up front being extra alert on braking.  Jamming on the brakes could be really bad.  If I were to do it again I would try to find a better fitting tire.  I also carry a flat fix kit and an inflator.  The manufacturer installed fix kit seems expensive and time consuming to me.  By the way, that spare looks in really good condition and a great deal for $18.

Edited by obob

• 1 month later...

So here is my question:  I have a 2009 Taurus - tires are 215/60R17, the spare tire is a T135/90D17 (I guess its similar to obob's spare tire).  C-Max takes a P225/50R17.  I'm going on a long trip.  Would it be useful to borrow my Taurus spare and jack? 

I compared the lug holes between the spare and C-Max wheels and it appears that the holes may not be entirely the same.  Do they have to be perfectly the same?

Edited by joe

So here is my question:  I have a 2009 Taurus - tires are 215/60R17, the spare tire is a T135/90D17 (I guess its similar to obob's spare tire).  C-Max takes a P225/50R17.  I'm going on a long trip.  Would it be useful to borrow my Taurus spare and jack? 

I compared the lug holes between the spare and C-Max wheels and it appears that the holes may not be entirely the same.  Do they have to be perfectly the same?

This thread has some good info.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1116-spare-tire-solution-for-c-max-hybrid/page-2

Looking at my post #25 there is a link that I thought could be used to find out what the spacing is for a 2009 taurus but it doesn't work for 2009, but 2008 does not match. ( http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/vehicle-car-truck-make-model-photo-specs.asp?Makes=FORD&Models=TAURUS&year=2009#axzz2a6NzkUce )

Perhaps just try to put it on.

And my post #29 has the circumference of the C-Max tires and the circumference of spare I have which is smaller.  Your spare may be bigger for it has a bigger wheel which may be perfect.  Note: smaller spare pulls when braking as describe in that post.

Post #17 has the C-Max bolt measurements and some other Ford Models but not the 2009 Taurus.  So the info is out there somewhere on the web.

PS, you also need a jack.

By the way, I also carry a flat fix kit and an inflater, though as I recall, someone seemed to figure out the thing Ford includes to fix tires can also be used as an inflater without using the sealer.

Edited by obob

• 4 months later...

I just had an idea. So the Energi's load floor is raised due to the larger battery pack... Any way to make a similar shelf and put the spare underneath? It could potentially be made to look stock. Of course one of the reasons that many of us did not consider the Energi was the refusal to compromise on trunk space... But for those that did not have that concern, maybe it's worth exploring.

I have a C-Max Hybrid (not Energi version) and created just such an arrangement, though I wasn't concerned with "making it look stock," since it only shows when the rear door is opened.  The compact spare sits on the original shelf, in the center, with the jack (wrapped in a towel to eliminate rattling) resting underneath.  Since I build furniture as a hobby, I built the frame for the "false floor" from wood (walnut, in fact.)  I placed a piece of cut-to-fit Masonite on the frame (the majority of the Masonite rests on the spare tire, since I built the frame the same height.)  Since the car is my wife's, I offered to carpet the Masonite, but she declined.  However, over the Masonite sits a cargo mat which hides the flooring except when the rear door is opened.

post-268-0-43543600-1389714364_thumb.jpgpost-268-0-62370600-1389714373_thumb.jpgpost-268-0-22390500-1389714383_thumb.jpg

Edited by SamJ20112

Ok, so I had #3 flat tire event on my CMAX in 1 year and 1 month. #1 was by hitting the brick, #2 and #3 was just 'flat rire, no one was able to find a reason after we used mobility kit, which actually helped'.

It looks as Ford genuine tires had some defect are are not reliable. And in addition, spare tire is a MUST for any long trip, not the mobility kit. This kit can be a great add-on, and can be very helpful for metro-area-only' drivers. It actually helps. But... when you use it, you never sure, how well it works, and default limitation 50 miles / 50 mph (which of course can be ignored if became necessary) is absolute nonsense.

I would like to take the designers, who decided to drop spare tire, to the mountains, make their tire flat in 15F in night on the road covered by the snow, without cellular coverage, and let them try their mobility kit etc... I think they wil select to drive 50 miles on flat tire vs waiting 6 hours in winter on the road.

PS. I had 2 flat tire events on my Subaru Outback in 10 years and 300,000 miles. So something wrong with CMAX tires for sure, I am going to replace both front tires by the normal one (not Ford recommended) for reliability (even if it cost me some mileage).

Just got back from a trip.  I put the spare behind the front drivers seat to have more room for luggage in the back.  I would feel unprepared without the spare, and feel good about having a flat repair kit.  Absolutely no second thoughts about getting it.

Edited by obob

Thanks darrelld for that info that the Focus spare fits.  Good luck with the 12 V impact wrench.  Have you tried it?  I have one of those from Harbor Freight and it does not have enough torque to break loose a very tight nut.  Especially since the C-Max lug torque is spec'd at 100 ft. lbs. (pg 349) which is darned tight.  It'l take something like a 3 ft cheater pipe on a 1/2 in. drive flex handle to break loose a well aged 100 ft, lbs. lug. 

stranger267

#1 was by hitting the brick, #2 and #3 was just 'flat rire, no one was able to find a reason after we used mobility kit, which actually helped'.

You might want to have your rims checked, we cracked a rim on our MKX, didn’t damage the tire.

Repaired at NTB for $250.

wab

• 2 months later...

So much from the naysayers that Tire Punctures and Flat Tires seldom happen unless your driving on worn out Tires.  Yesterday I found my 8 month old C-Max with 4100 miles driven parked in my driveway with a completely deflated rear Tire!  Used a portable 12 volt Tire Inflator that quickly put 35 pounds of air into the Tire.  Drove the Vehicle a few miles to my closest Sam`s Club where they dismounted the Tire from the Rim and completed the repair using a combination of interior "patch-plug" due to the size of the puncture caused by a massive piece of chipped Tile that penetrated deep into the tread.  Bad enough Ford and other Vehicle manufacturers got away from the full size spare and now even the Emergency (Donut) Temporary Tire and Jack Assembly is history.  Weight reduction? Fuel Economy?  How about simply cost savings times tens of thousands of Vehicles built and sold.  If you needed to use the Tire Sealant  Goo, add the cost of replacing your TPS too.

So much from the naysayers that Tire Punctures and Flat Tires seldom happen unless your driving on worn out Tires.  Yesterday I found my 8 month old C-Max with 4100 miles driven parked in my driveway with a completely deflated rear Tire!

Perhaps yours was one of the "seldom" events? Let us know if you have another one and we can change from "seldom" to "not infrequent".

I like how you avoided using the goop. Good idea as I don't think that would have occurred to me if I got a flat around town. I'd probably just use the goop and pay the price, when it could have possibly been avoided - even if it took a couple of refills on the way to the tire store.

I bought a doughnut tire for road trips.

Perhaps yours was one of the "seldom" events? Let us know if you have another one and we can change from "seldom" to "not infrequent".

I like how you avoided using the goop. Good idea as I don't think that would have occurred to me if I got a flat around town. I'd probably just use the goop and pay the price, when it could have possibly been avoided - even if it took a couple of refills on the way to the tire store.

I bought a doughnut tire for road trips.

I got a an emergency Spare Donut for long road trips too.  For around town, I just rely on the 12 volt Tire Inflator and hope that its not a large puncture or worse yet, a sidewall breach.

so you also got the jack and lug wrench ??

Nope;  Just the Emergency Spare Tire (Donut) and a perfect fitting Vinyl Cover I purchased for it that matches the Interior from Amazon.  I figure, with Ford Roadside Assistance and AAA, if the Tire Inflator won`t save the day, I`ll just grab my cell phone and wait for help.  At least when the Tow Truck arrives, I will be on my way with the Spare Tire.

Nope;  Just the Emergency Spare Tire (Donut) and a perfect fitting Vinyl Cover I purchased for it that matches the Interior from Amazon.  I figure, with Ford Roadside Assistance and AAA, if the Tire Inflator won`t save the day, I`ll just grab my cell phone and wait for help.  At least when the Tow Truck arrives, I will be on my way with the Spare Tire.

That's the kind of thing I'd like to consider. It's just that the costs mount up if you add a trailer hitch receiver and carrier for the tire, which would be what I'd need to be able to fill the C-MAX but still bring the tire.

How much was something like that Donut?

I bought the full stock rim, tire, and the dumb tire-pressure sensor TPSM, and put it with the jack in the cargo area.  The dealership did not know there was not a spare tire when buying the car.  The TPSM is about $99 dollar.  If you use the equipped tire inflation kit, you will need to add $99 when getting the blown tire replaced. 

The Prius, the fish shape looking type model, does come with spare donut tire and jack as any normal sense would have, and if you compare the cargo hold space between the Prius and the CMax. the CMax's with the spare tire included (ahem, purchased) is way below the Prius.

It is not the gas saving or weight issue for with or without the spare tire on the CMax, but it is the cost/profit and design issue that the CMax does not come with a spare tire kit.

The Ford roadside assistance only available until you have about 26,000miles on the car.  You will need to buy more after this.  Even if the Ford roadside assistance is for the life of the car, it is still be much better if the car still comes with a spare tire kit.

Doesn't Ford Roadside also extend for the life of a Ford Extended Warranty?

I am considering purchasing the equivalent of a doughnut tire, and then also adding a receiver and a tire carrier or utility tray for long travel. I would have already done so, but this is not the kind of thing that I wish to leave on my car during times that I am not traveling. Since I live in a highrise condominium, it is not like I have a garage in which I can store the tire and carrier.

Another approach, which I thought to be quite sensible, is to buy a tire repair kit with some plugs. I already had a AAA membership from before I bought my C-MAX. So, I figured that I could call AAA for something less than a complete blow out, letting them do the roadside repair, or I could call Ford Roadside in the case that I would have to go to the dealer for warrantied tire replacement.

I keep going back and forth about what to do concerning this issue. :headscratch: Meanwhile, I depart for my cross-country trip by the first week of June. I have to decide something pretty soon.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami