Spare Tire

sdaustin6483

I have acquired a regular tire and wheel as a spare and a jack and lug wrench for an Escape.  They fit reasonably well in the back of my C-Max and will greatly reduce my unease at the thought of driving in the countryside without a spare.

This has worked well for me.  Haven't had to use the spare but can live with the loss of space to accommodate it.  I placed the spare outside facing down so I have the wheel well to place things in like a gtocery bag and it doesn't fall over.

ArizonaEnergi

"Ford Roadside assistance is for 5 years, or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first":

That is sort of nice.  I thought that was what they said that I needed to buy extended warranty to get that when I bought the car.

ScubaDadMiami

Get a spare tire kit: a full size spare tire (with or without the TPMS) or donut type.

Tom

I also "placed the spare outside facing down" and put the jack inside the wheel well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought: I'm one who carrys a spare tire and jack at all times -- hoping I'll never have to use them.  I just added a big plastic bag to the carry list--so that If I do have to change a tire, I'll have a place to put the flat tire that will not dirty my C-Max's interior.

• 3 weeks later...

On my way from Durham to Hillsborough this morning my right rear tire went flat.  I have no idea what I drove over.  I didn't see anything, but it bounced the back of the car and left a 1.5cm (0.6 inch) wide divot in the tread.  I suspect the tire is toast.  I'll find out tomorrow.

I have a donut spare which thankfully was in the car.  Unfortunately, the jack I purchased (I think it is a Ford Escape jack) was too high to slide under the car with the tire completely deflated.  I called AAA.  A little over an hour later I was on my way home.  The donut spare worked great.  Driving home at less than 40 mph my return trip was at 60+ mpg.

I need to get a lower profile jack.

On my way from Durham to Hillsborough this morning my right rear tire went flat.  I have no idea what I drove over.  I didn't see anything, but it bounced the back of the car and left a 1.5cm (0.6 inch) wide divot in the tread.  I suspect the tire is toast.  I'll find out tomorrow.

I have a donut spare which thankfully was in the car.  Unfortunately, the jack I purchased (I think it is a Ford Escape jack) was too high to slide under the car with the tire completely deflated.  I called AAA.  A little over an hour later I was on my way home.  The donut spare worked great.  Driving home at less than 40 mph my return trip was at 60+ mpg.

I need to get a lower profile jack.

Interesting.  I never considered the clearance with a flat.  To see if I should consider getting a different jack, could you post the height of your jack that didn't work, and what size you are going to try to get ?  I am also curious if  another jack point could be used, perhaps with the aid of a wood block.

I also wonder if it is possible to lift the body up enough to slip the jack under - the first inch or two might be easy with the suspension.

UPDATE:  The C-Max suspension is rather stiff.  I tried to lift the car up and it moved like 1/2 inch.  On older cars that I have owner I was able lift quite a bit.

Edited by obob

Interesting.  I never considered the clearance with a flat.  To see if I should consider getting a different jack, could you post the height of your jack that didn't work, and what size you are going to try to get ?  I am also curious if  another jack point could be used, perhaps with the aid of a wood block.

I also wonder if it is possible to lift the body up enough to slip the jack under - the first inch or two might be easy with the suspension.

Good questions.  I will take a photo and some measurements when I get my car back from the tire shop later today.

UPDATE:  The C-Max suspension is rather stiff.  I tried to lift the car up and it moved like 1/2 inch.  On older cars that I have owner I was able lift quite a bit.

The jack I have is 5-3/4 inches high in its lowest position. I think it would only be 3 inches high if it did not have an "extra" piece on top.

The jack I have is 5-3/4 inches high in its lowest position. I think it would only be 3 inches high if it did not have an "extra" piece on top.

Thanks Dave.

I just looked at my jack -  looks a bit less that 3 inches.  How much clearance did you have ?

I was just thinking about your problem again and what I could do it I had to deal with it.  Perhaps moving it to dirt and digging some to allow the jack to fit.

Someone has mentioned they raise the entire side of the car by using just one jacking point. Something to keep in mind.

I've done that when rotating tires.  IIRC, it's the only jacking point marked by a triangle on the black rocker panel moulding.  I used a floor jack and stands (just in case) and did it on my concrete driveway.  I'm not sure I'd trust any old jack lifting the complete side of the car on the generally unstable berm of a highway.

My floor jack requires about a 3 inch clearance which seems that it would be adequate at the jack point if one rear tire was flat.  The rim appears to be about 3" above the ground normally.  So, with a complete flat tire the rim might be only a 1/2 inch off the ground or the axle has been lowered around 2 1/2 inches.  The difference between the front and rear axle is about 9 feet and the jack point is 2 1/2  feet in front of the rear axle.  So,  the jack point would be (6.5/9) * 2.5" =  1.8 inches lower than normal or there should be about 4 inches of room to insert a jack.  So, a 3" jack should be no issue.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

You may want to look again, Plus... there are TWO jacking points on each side, each marked by a triangle in the rocker molding. I also used a floor jack, installing and removing snows, and the only odd thing is how far under the car you have to go to get a solid jacking point.

I learned long ago to use these points and NOT lift two wheels at a time. You can bend your frame if you choose unwisely.  Far safer to lift an axel, if it's accessible, but then very hard to rotate tires... seems like two jacks are prudent for yoru need, albeit one with a very light load!

HAv efun,

Frank

• 4 months later...

Just bought my 2014 C-max hybrid SEL, and I am concerned about the issue of no spare tire - not for city or ordinary commuting, but sometimes I take road trips where I'm basically in the middle of nowhere.  

I am thinking that I will buy a full size spare and place it behind the front seat for road trips.

I found what purports to be a "basic new steel wheel" that will fit the car on line at www.autopartswarehouse.com for $94, and also on that site, I found tires that should work for about $75.  Or I expect I can get a tire at any tire place.  I would have to pay somebody to mount the tire, I guess, but perhaps any tire place would do that for some small charge.  I am thinking that since I will use it as a spare only, I don't need to get the TPMS.

So does anybody see any problem with that course of action?  I should say that while I guess it is possible to canvas junkyards for a suitable replacement, that is not really something I have the time and inclination to do.

Thanks!

Just bought my 2014 C-max hybrid SEL, and I am concerned about the issue of no spare tire - not for city or ordinary commuting, but sometimes I take road trips where I'm basically in the middle of nowhere.  

I am thinking that I will buy a full size spare and place it behind the front seat for road trips.

I found what purports to be a "basic new steel wheel" that will fit the car on line at www.autopartswarehouse.com for $94, and also on that site, I found tires that should work for about $75.  Or I expect I can get a tire at any tire place.  I would have to pay somebody to mount the tire, I guess, but perhaps any tire place would do that for some small charge.  I am thinking that since I will use it as a spare only, I don't need to get the TPMS.

So does anybody see any problem with that course of action?  I should say that while I guess it is possible to canvas junkyards for a suitable replacement, that is not really something I have the time and inclination to do.

Thanks!

I know tirerack mounted and balanced my tire for free when I bought a wheel with it, though that was a while ago.  Might want to check out tirerack.com   I noticed one steel wheel for $52 and a tire for $71 (not including shipping.)  though for a little more can get a kumho or pirelli.

Edited by obob

A large tire chain store here in Mich. charged me $ 117 for a steel wheel and cheapo tire of the proper size:  I also sometimes store it vertically behind driver's seat.  It's heavy at over 45 lbs. and occupies LOTS of trunk space if put there, but does give one peace of mind.

• 5 months later...

To keep the spare out of the interior where it is taking up valuable space, install a hitch with a fold-down bike rack.  Install studs on the bike rack that match the bolt pattern of the spare.  You may only want to use this set up for long trips when finding a replacement tire is uncertain.

To keep the spare out of the interior where it is taking up valuable space, install a hitch with a fold-down bike rack.  Install studs on the bike rack that match the bolt pattern of the spare.  You may only want to use this set up for long trips when finding a replacement tire is uncertain.

That is a good idea.  Might lower FE a little but I like this better than having a tire inside the car.  Could combine this idea with more outside storage as well like someone else has posted here.