Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Driving in hilly areas

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   GaryM

GaryM

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 56 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSanta Clarita, CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE Hybrid

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Jus,

I usually work down in Los Angeles, with my office in Burbank, when I am there, and I live in Santa Clarita. Going to work it is a total toss up if I go the 14 or the 5. On the way down, the drive to the 14 feels more efficient, but traffic can be a killer. If I go "off peak" then it is better for sure. If I take the 5 on the way home, I am on the freeway a bit longer and less "city" driving, but the traffic is usually worse and the distance is a bit further. Total distance going up the 14 is a mile less, and if I hit it right, I am up to near 5 miles of EV from the exit ramp at Newhall Av all the way to Magic Mountain. I just did it today.

My wife works up in Acton. She was the first to get a hybrid because of her drive and in the little Prius C was only running 44 MPG because of the climb up and topped out batteries on the way down. With care I can do better, but the A/C is a killer. The FE update should help a lot with being able to stay EV on the long down hills coming back. 

I use cruise control a lot, and the ECO mode is so much better, but I agree, it is stil not perfect. In some situations I can do better. I think I am figuring out the charge schedule a bit more. When the battery is over 80% it will not charge at 2 bar acceleration like it does at 50% charge. Thanks to EV+ I had a very low batery when I left this morning so the ICE fired up right away, and I also noticed it was not showing charge at even very slight acceleration during the warm up. I had to be in a dead coast to see it go to arrow up charge. This seems very wasteful indeed.

• Jus-A-CMax likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

That is true about chargeability level when the battery is 80% or more, it drops to about 1.75 to keep it charging and at that power level, at freeway, its barely keeping the 60mph.

My route is totally different and I have a choice - I can street it from San Fernando via Foothill, Chatsworth and Corbin all the way down to Woodland Hills, or I can take the 210-118 and drop down DeSoto. There about 15 MPG difference (80MPG street vs 65 Freeway/Street). The street is a killer, killer MPG run. Coming back, if I street it, its chews up the MPG more and I finish the day at 64MPG. Using the freeway, I finish the day at 52MPGs. Since I am taking a break from the MPG game, I am taking more freeways but I might do another 800+ run when I -eventually- get my CMax back from Galpin and try out the new update in my street run. If I start drawing 85MPG going to work and getting 66MPG at end of day, this should get my juice flowing for a 850+ barrier run...even if I have to sweat it out in the ridiculous Woodland Hills heat. It was 106F today there (according to my 2013 Passat SE loaner).

I'll keep an eye out for your CMax when I hang around the 5 or 14. You can't miss mine, its the White Platinum with the "M" on the driver side liftgate.

#23 OFFLINE   GaryM

GaryM

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

I saw at least 102 today, but was not watching it the whole time, it was HOT!!

I worked in Burbank area today and got off a bit early, but that does not make up for tomorrow. I will be working from 8 AM to about 9 PM in Sherman Oaks. I get to make 2 round trips up and down the fun 405, yeah. Due to the average slope, I seem to get about 60 mpg going down there and around 40 on the way back, for a 48 MPG average. It will be interesting to see how well I can do thinking about it. I am not a true HyperMiler as I do enjoy accelerating and cornering a bit too much, which is why I got the max over any Prius. I did almost get a Camry hybrid, it accelerates even better, but the cornering SUCKED.

My Max is a Candy Blue pearl SE with the plate ending in 424, no personalization yet.

Gary

#24 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

No worries mate, 424 is easy to remember...gawd knows what my plate is. Hypermiling is fun but it always knaws you as you wonder where you could have saved a squirt of gas. A normal driver would be over the moon with anything 65+MPGs  on a run but when you hit want consistently to hit the 80s over the 22-24 miles, its tough...but its a game, like golf. Its not for everyone and so have fun with the CMax....hooning it. R u saying the Camry hybrid is faster than the Max? I didn't think it was that much more powerful with its 4....interesting.

PS If you ever go to Calabasas or Westlake Village, do me a favor and take the 118, get off at Rocky Peak and then take the Box Canyon all the way thru Valley Circle to the 101...let me know what you think. I've been trying to get local CMaxers to take this route, the down the hill is a TON OF FUN but the trick is to keep your SOC as high as possible all the way to the 101....plus GREAT VIEWS as well so bring a camera ;)

#25 OFFLINE   GaryM

GaryM

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Did a bit of driving today. Was at a friends house in the valley and got a call to go help out at a theatre. It was just 5.1 miles away, and my battery was quite full when I parked. I bet it was a bit downhill as well. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't try too hard to save fuel and gave it a good push to get up to 40 mph going across on Devonshire. Just 2 turns, hit all the lights and rolling slow to a parking spot. I turned off the key and had 199.9 MPG!! Of course, on the way back I just got 47.2 but that is still great.

I will have to try that run you describe. I know about where Rocky Peak is, I will have to find Box Canyon.

#26 OFFLINE   MacGyver

MacGyver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

As I've posted in other threads, I've found by using the instant mpg in Torque, an android app, that the optimum speed is 70-73mph for going up a pretty steep grade, the 2 fwy between the 134 and 210 fwys. 45-65mph=15-18mpg 70-73mph=20-23.

Counterintuitive, I know, but I've tested it over and over again.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·