Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Using Console USB with cable to charge phone

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pequeajim

pequeajim

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew Holland, Pa
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Has anyone used the USB plus inside the center console to charge their phone?

The system recognizes that an "unknown" phone is connected, and asks me to disconnect.

It charges my phone, just very slowly. :)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   RachelnLa

RachelnLa

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yes. I plug mine in after work and while running errands. I like to keep it charged. Just never know. Mine recognizes my phone and starts playing the music. I think there is a setting to stop this. Haven't had time to look.

#3 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

It did not recognize my phone.  I was not able to use USB for playing audio.  I have no problem with Bluetooth streaming; I just wasn't able to get USB to recognize my phone.

If your C-MAX's USB doesn't recognize your phone, I think that you would be better served by getting a cigarette lighter charger.  I think that this will be faster for charging.

#4 OFFLINE   pbtorres

pbtorres

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOrange County
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

I use my USB all the time to charge my phone.  It always recognizes as it should no complaints at all. 

#5 OFFLINE   zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 829 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Sel 303A

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

This used to happen to me all the flippin' time.  Then it stopped.  I *think* it stopped around the 3.5.1 upgrade but I'm not sure.

Also, there really isn't a lot of current to charge the phone from USB.  (It should be similar output you would get from a laptop usb port.)  It's just a trickle charge.

#6 OFFLINE   bigalpha

bigalpha

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 356 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

When I plug my iPhone 4S into the bottom USB port, it recognizes my phone and will charge it.  Nothing happens with the top port - is that normal?

#7 OFFLINE   zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 829 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Sel 303A

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

This used to happen to me all the flippin' time.  Then it stopped.  I *think* it stopped around the 3.5.1 upgrade but I'm not sure.

Also, there really isn't a lot of current to charge the phone from USB.  (It should be similar output you would get from a laptop usb port.)  It's just a trickle charge.

Oops, I don't know what I was thinking, but it didn't stop, it still happens, just less often.

When I plug my iPhone 4S into the bottom USB port, it recognizes my phone and will charge it.  Nothing happens with the top port - is that normal?

It won't even charge it?  No that is not normal.  The two USB ports are identical in functionality.

#8 OFFLINE   bigalpha

bigalpha

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 356 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

It won't even charge it?  No that is not normal.  The two USB ports are identical in functionality.

That's what I thought.  SIGH, guess the car goes back again.

#9 OFFLINE   Hippie'sMom

Hippie'sMom

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:36 PM

Anyone leave the USB plugged in overnight?  Without the phone, I mean.  I want to put one in the car and leave it, but I don't want to cause a drain.

#10 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 420 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

yes, Just the charging cord won't hurt anything.  I've also had a flash drive connected 24/7 for 3 years with no

discharge of the battery.

#11 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 391 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:34 AM

It didn't charge fast enough for me so I bought a nice charger with two outlets and pluged it in to the power point. It works great and can charge both our phones in less than an hour.

#12 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 179 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:04 AM

I've charged an LG Android 4.4 phone and iPhone SE with it, my friend had one of the bigger galaxy phones that's more like a tablet and it would act like it was charging but his battery was always running low when he unplugged - I don't get this because USB is always supposed to supply 5V standard I think but my guess is that the bigger phone needed a higher amperage charger... 

Most of the phones would say it couldn't mount the USB but it still provided power to charge.  I use Bluetooth for the audio connection anyway.

Because of the 12V battery issues I always make sure to disconnect when the car is not in "Ready" mode (engine "on") .. I've never had a problem with my SELs 12V battery but it doesn't hurt to be cautious I guess.

#13 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 644 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

Anyone leave the USB plugged in overnight?  Without the phone, I mean.  I want to put one in the car and leave it, but I don't want to cause a drain.

Redacted.

Edited by Bill-N, 28 July 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 391 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:33 AM

Mine has been plugged in since October 31st 2014 without a problem.

#15 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

i keep my ipod classic plugged in 24/7

I find it easier to plug the iphone into the ciggy lighter socket  I have clamp style phone holder right above the mft screen.

much easier o to follow the tunr by turn directions when the google maps is running. and much easier to change pandora stations.

#16 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi, 2014 Focus Electric (in WA)

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

I've charged an LG Android 4.4 phone and iPhone SE with it, my friend had one of the bigger galaxy phones that's more like a tablet and it would act like it was charging but his battery was always running low when he unplugged - I don't get this because USB is always supposed to supply 5V standard I think but my guess is that the bigger phone needed a higher amperage charger... 

Most of the phones would say it couldn't mount the USB but it still provided power to charge.  I use Bluetooth for the audio connection anyway.

Because of the 12V battery issues I always make sure to disconnect when the car is not in "Ready" mode (engine "on") .. I've never had a problem with my SELs 12V battery but it doesn't hurt to be cautious I guess.

USB does always provide 5V, but "standard" USB charging rate is only 500 ma (0.5 amps). I suspect the Ford system provides the standard 500 ma.  I've had a few android phones that would not even maintain their battery level at 500 ma, they would just continue to slowly discharge.  Newer phones come with chargers that are in the 1.1 amp - 2 amp+ range. Most newer 12V power port USB adapters are of the 2 amp variety.

The USB mounting error is normally on android phones that have the screen locked.  The screen lock also prevents the phone from establishing USB communications.  If you unlock the screen on the android, then plug it in, you should not see the error. After it plugged in, you can relock the screen. If you do not have autoplay in the car turned off, it will likely search your entire phone for music and play anything it can find, including ring tones etc. :-)

I have my android set to connect as a camera, then put a music folder inside the camera folder so it only finds and plays my music, rather than every audio file in the entire file system of the phone.

Edited by cwstnsko, 02 August 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Redshift

Redshift

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 47 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationTacoma, WA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

According to Ford, the USB ports support all types of devices for charging. They say that .5, 1 and 2 amp power is available depending on your device.

#18 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi, 2014 Focus Electric (in WA)

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:45 PM

According to Ford, the USB ports support all types of devices for charging. They say that .5, 1 and 2 amp power is available depending on your device.

Are you referring to this info

https://owner.ford.c...t-charging.html

That matches what you describe, but when I tell it that I have a 2015 C-Max, it says the video does not apply to my car.

A little bit of digging leads me to believe the more powerful USB ports started in the C-Max for the 2016 model year

– Improved Charging abilities

A new more powerful USB port, that provides up to 2 amps of power; more than enough to adequately charge a tablet or multiple smart phones.  Previous chargers provided 500 milliamps of power.

These are just a few of the new features and upgrades that will be included in the new Sync 3 when it is introduced in some of Ford’s 2016 models this year.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#19 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 115 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

Are you referring to this info

https://owner.ford.c...t-charging.html

That matches what you describe, but when I tell it that I have a 2015 C-Max, it says the video does not apply to my car.

A little bit of digging leads me to believe the more powerful USB ports started in the C-Max for the 2016 model year

– Improved Charging abilities

A new more powerful USB port, that provides up to 2 amps of power; more than enough to adequately charge a tablet or multiple smart phones.  Previous chargers provided 500 milliamps of power.

These are just a few of the new features and upgrades that will be included in the new Sync 3 when it is introduced in some of Ford’s 2016 models this year.

What about 2016 models without Sync 3? I just have the base system with no touchscreen. How many amps do I get?

I see a lot of references to Sync 3 but there's virtually no information anywhere about the cheap stereo

Edited by jackalopetx, 22 August 2016 - 09:58 AM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·