Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

My 2c: EV driving

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

Hee...don't run into the car in front of you SDM, thats not the idea...

70s to 80s is bad, it means you've not trained yourself to survey the road ahead enough. Watch those pedestrain lights as clues and if I can't see those traffic or pedestrian lights - I back off the speed a wee bit or drop the burn to 3/4 (or back to <1 for a battery recharge)...its really a great exercise to see if your foot can handle this sensitivity.

If I see, sometimes, I pour on the speed to cross the road before the yellow finish. Only time I get those 70s is when I misjudge the light and sometimes for good reasons - such as a major :airquote: dodgy intersection.

However, don't sweat over the low brake scores, I really don't believe those 70s and 80s will kill your FE in the long run...its always what you use in the gas that counts, not how much recharge you :airquote: potentially got back. A slight downgrade in the road can more than make up for 1 bad poor score or 1 less squirt of the gas will do the same thing, or if you find a KILLER road, you can make bad braking all day long and still smash the 47 MPG rating.

Keep trying and I like to see your comments - I think you learnt something from this thread.

PS I have not seen your CMax gas burn rate to 35 mph for 1 bar vs 2 bar...I am very interested in that cause its a direct comparison to see how your 2,xxxx odo CMax compares to my 18,xxxx odo.

:)

• hybridbear likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

...I also started my eco-cruise EV runs today as well. Some mixed results...morning is less mpg, and a flat road drive to the golf course after work was better mpg;  and going home after the golf course was less mpg. Overall for the day, less MPGs by 1 than the manual method but I suspect some of it is due to the better timing of the lights that I got today. I will do the same run tomorrow and the day after with the same eco-cruise mode. 3 days of run should give me some good averages.

Either manually or eco-cruise - there is no doubt, both methods are giving me > 62MPG per day for the 44 miles of roads I drive per day. At 62, thats looking at a high 700s or peep over 800  :drool:  a tank there.

That folks is testament to the awesomeness of the Ford CMax at 18,000 odo miles.

:shift:

• JAZ, hybridbear and salsaguy like this

#43 OFFLINE   11StiLimited

11StiLimited

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 190 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hey Jus,

What are your suggestions for "punch" when you have a long uphill.  Most of my ride home has some minor incline grades, but last for .25-.75 miles at a time.

#44 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hey Jus,

What are your suggestions for "punch" when you have a long uphill.  Most of my ride home has some minor incline grades, but last for .25-.75 miles at a time.

What are the speeds involved here? Steep or moderate inclines?

#45 OFFLINE   11StiLimited

11StiLimited

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 190 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

1 mile length, elevation change +140' (per Google Earth)

25 mph road, fairly consistent rate of incline, only 2-3 "flat tops" in the hill climb.

#46 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

1 mile is FE fine tuning cause you aren't going to burn a ton of gas at the speed and elevation, nor are you going to gain a bunch of MPGs. If I was driving, I would jus 2 bar it should be able to P&G it no worries. If its rolling, kick in some EV to build momentum for the next roll up.

Hey SDM is going to test the 1 bar vs 2 bar burn. Are you willing to try this as well? U know the deal, zero to 35 mph, same stretch and direction of road, no EV start just ice and straight to 1 bar or 2 bar burn at constant rate, cut off at 35 mph, pull over and then camera snap the Trip 1/2 output). Be interesting to see what you get - u would think all our CMax would have the same burn rate.

Edit: crap, i forgot your original q, yeah, if you want to 1 sec burst to 3 bars even 3 1/2 bar would give you a TON of torque. LOL, if SDM thought 2 bar was a lot, he ain't see sh*t yet.... :lol2:  PS You guys should try to fang 7.5 seconds from zero to 60 sometime in the life of your CMax, really gives u some idea of the tremendous power this wee hybrid has. And sometimes power is what you need, its not all about slow and pokey... :headspin:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 31 July 2013 - 11:04 AM.

• salsaguy likes this

#47 OFFLINE   11StiLimited

11StiLimited

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 190 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

1 mile is FE fine tuning cause you aren't going to burn a ton of gas at the speed and elevation, nor are you going to gain a bunch of MPGs. If I was driving, I would jus 2 bar it should be able to P&G it no worries. If its rolling, kick in some EV to build momentum for the next roll up.

Hey SDM is going to test the 1 bar vs 2 bar burn. Are you willing to try this as well? U know the deal, zero to 35 mph, same stretch and direction of road, no EV start just ice and straight to 1 bar or 2 bar burn at constant rate, cut off at 35 mph, pull over and then camera snap the Trip 1/2 output). Be interesting to see what you get - u would think all our CMax would have the same burn rate.

Edit: crap, i forgot your original q, yeah, if you want to 1 sec burst to 3 bars even 3 1/2 bar would give you a TON of torque. LOL, if SDM thought 2 bar was a lot, he ain't see sh*t yet.... :lol2:  PS You guys should try to fang 7.5 seconds from zero to 60 sometime in the life of your CMax, really gives u some idea of the tremendous power this wee hybrid has. And sometimes power is what you need, its not all about slow and pokey... :headspin:

I 2-bar the hill, usually, but I get a fairly long burn to get to 35, then have little time before I drop to 25 again (short glide phase).  I certainly spend more time pulsing in ICE then I get gliding with EV.

I was not aware of the experiment.  I can do the test today, I have a nearly flat area to try it on.  Can post the SBS later tonight.  Can you link me to the thread for the experiment?

About the cars power.  First thing I did when I test drove this car, was floor it from 0-70 on the 55mph road in front of the dealer.  I know this car has the power when needed, hehehe.  Since I have owned it, I have done nothing of the sort :thumbsup:

• robertiv and salsaguy like this

#48 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Here ya go: http://fordcmaxhybri...t-way-to-drive/

#49 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

It will be a while before I get around to doing the 1 vs. 2 bar test on a given stretch of road.  My best chance for reporting anything is going to be from when I am running my usual routes.  After all, the longer the test loop, the more it will resemble real world driving.

I tried 1 bar for over a month, and I have been going with 2 bars for a couple of weeks.  Today, I tried--if you will pardon the phrase--a hybrid version of techniques.  I did slow charges when it seemed to work best, 1 bar burns, 1.75 bar burns (which seems to be a great balancer), and I made 2 bar acceleration in areas that seemed to work well.

On my leg out, I typically average about 51-52 mpg.  Today, I had my best run, 56.7, and that was after having to make a last minute skip around a bridge that was opening, which has a price against FE.  On the way back, I normally get around 48 mpg.  Today, I got around 47.  (I lost it when I tried a 2 bar burn and caught a light).

Jus, I am absolutely paying very close attention to traffic.  (I am almost to the point where I am going to hack off someone's tree branch that blocks a traffic light at the bottom of a great glide zone.)  Sometimes, the burns are very brief.  However, if they are 2 bars, I jolt ahead too quickly.  Unless I am where I can keep moving, something will happen:  a car pulls out of nowhere, I don't quite have the timing for the light, I catch up to the car ahead, someone way up ahead stops traffic.  Mostly, it is catching the lights at the wrong time.  (It could potentially be related to the fact that they installed traffic light cameras in this area.  Since then--and this has been confirmed by the media--they adjusted the lights to have shorter yellow times.  This has not only resulted in a ton of tickets bringing in all kinds of revenue, it has also led to a big jump in rear end crashes from drivers slamming on their brakes to avoid getting a ticket--which is what prompted the media to investigate.)

#50 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

Stay safe SDM.

I tried the 2nd eco-cruise run today and it was poor. I finished with 59.5 MPG when I always usually come in >= 62 Avg MPG for the entire day.

Jus shows you how fickle the MPGs can get - even whilst using the eco-cruise. Same EXACT route, same temps and time of day. One thing I noticed is that the eco-cruise will drain all the way to the end and then set a 0.4 Bar re-charge beyond the 50% SOC - so this was an extremely slow burn to build the battery but I didn't see the EV kick back in by the eco-cruise because of the traffic light. This could explain why my gas use was higher than the day before, I didn't see this pattern emerging from the eco-cruise.

Now I am adament some of you posters swear by this eco-cruise over manual feather - and my question to you: did you notice this 0.4 bar show burn and did it eventually kick back to EV at some point? As I documented for my CMax, the slow burn consumes a lot more gas than the 2 or 1 3/4 bar burns to the same speed limit.

Side news: I broke the 700 mile mark- 703.5 miles with 11.31 gallons used. I can hit the 800 but I think the timing is bad as I have to use the car this weekend...but this car is saving me a ton of money for sure :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 01 August 2013 - 01:49 AM.

• 11StiLimited likes this

#51 OFFLINE   RaPieR

RaPieR

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 199 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

It'll usually keep charging the battery at .4 bar until it gets above 50% then it will drop into ev again unless there is an elevation change. You always overide as well.

I use it because it's easy. All I have to do is keep an eye on traffic and lights. I find feathering the throttle to tedious. Probably won't hit extremely high mileage but I don't have to mess with the throttle my entire commute.

Stay safe SDM.

I tried the 2nd eco-cruise run today and it was poor. I finished with 59.5 MPG when I always usually come in >= 62 Avg MPG for the entire day.

Jus shows you how fickle the MPGs can get - even whilst using the eco-cruise. Same EXACT route, same temps and time of day. One thing I noticed is that the eco-cruise will drain all the way to the end and then set a 0.4 Bar re-charge beyond the 50% SOC - so this was an extremely slow burn to build the battery but I didn't see the EV kick back in by the eco-cruise because of the traffic light. This could explain why my gas use was higher than the day before, I didn't see this pattern emerging from the eco-cruise.

Now I am adament some of you posters swear by this eco-cruise over manual feather - and my question to you: did you notice this 0.4 bar show burn and did it eventually kick back to EV at some point? As I documented for my CMax, the slow burn consumes a lot more gas than the 2 or 1 3/4 bar burns to the same speed limit.

Side news: I broke the 700 mile mark- 703.5 miles with 11.31 gallons used. I can hit the 800 but I think the timing is bad as I have to use the car this weekend...but this car is saving me a ton of money for sure :)

#52 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

It'll usually keep charging the battery at .4 bar until it gets above 50% then it will drop into ev again unless there is an elevation change. You always overide as well.

I use it because it's easy. All I have to do is keep an eye on traffic and lights. I find feathering the throttle to tedious. Probably won't hit extremely high mileage but I don't have to mess with the throttle my entire commute.

Totally agree with you that its easier :) , but I am so use to it now it more a question of battery management & light timing now. Back to manual run today and I am back in the 79.2 Avg MPG, 1/2 squirt away from breaking the 80s or 1 too many 1/2 bar recharge burn.

Did you notice that eco-cruise "stuck on" 0.4 burn recharge? Or do you take it out manually via tapping the brakes et al?

#53 OFFLINE   RaPieR

RaPieR

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 199 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Totally agree with you that its easier :) , but I am so use to it now it more a question of battery management & light timing now. Back to manual run today and I am back in the 79.2 Avg MPG, 1/2 squirt away from breaking the 80s or 1 too many 1/2 bar recharge burn.

Did you notice that eco-cruise "stuck on" 0.4 burn recharge? Or do you take it out manually via tapping the brakes et al?

Just depends if there is no traffic I let it recharge at whatever eco sets the engine to. I think it is .4 bar if thr road is flat. I'll manually shut off eco to coast if there is traffic ahead or I expect a stop or other delay. On my daily commute I average around +50 to a high of 77 at current summer temperatures.

#54 OFFLINE   stratosurfer

stratosurfer

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationCentral Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMax SEL Hybrid

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

8664001751_8e952b2865_n.jpg

Left side: 1 bar , 2 bar , 3 bar, 4th bar yellow, 5th bar yellow. Red box is typically where you want to keep the power when accelerating in ICE white mode as compared to 1 bar accelerating in EV blue mode.

Jus,
I just got my CMax, and I can't find the screen you displayed here.
I have thumbed around all the menus and not sure where it is?
Mark

#55 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Jus,
I just got my CMax, and I can't find the screen you displayed here.
I have thumbed around all the menus and not sure where it is?
Mark

On your steering wheel, use the left side Up or Down arrow to get there. PS there is no red box like in that picture, I drew that on the picture (since people would not know the context of the picture).

#56 OFFLINE   SnitGTS

SnitGTS

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 208 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max SE

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

SDM, when you are accelerating and there is traffic ahead of you, start off in EV and let the traffic get ahead of you enough before you punch it to 2 bars.  You should get up to speed before you catch up to them assuming there isn't too much traffic.  If you are hitting that many lights one after the other then the 2 bar pulse might not work for those areas, your 1 bar is probably the best bet.

I'm not getting the MPG that Jus is, but I have the same basic strategy.  I accelerate to 10-15 mph in EV or until the traffic ahead of me is far enough to give it a 2 bar pulse up to the speed limit + 5 mph, glide in EV as long as I can keep it above the speed limit (or even with traffic) before pulsing again.  On my way to work I have a highway I can pulse up to 55 mph and keep above 50 mph in EV for about 4 miles before having to give it another pulse.  (slight downhill the whole way, I pay for it coming home!)  

I also play the hills, some I can accelerate a few extra mph in EV before I get to the hill to just coast over it.  If it is a bigger hill I will give it a good pulse going up, I will try to glide on any plateaus, but if not I just pulse right to where I can coast over the top of the hill.  

I was averaging 53.4 mpg for the first half of my last tank of gas, but then I had to run the air for a solid week and I ended up doing a fair amount of highway driving (65 mph+) so my final for the tank was 50.3 mpg, I think I lost 5% of my mpg to the AC.

#57 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

....you will snitGTS, you will ;)  then you'll be :skateboard:  & :headspin:  with Matt and I :jump_earth:

#58 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

It has been cloudy, dropping the temps to the low to high 80's, and this has made a very big difference in things.  Where I had been getting around 48 mpg, I got 53+ today over the course of a 12.5 mile drive.  I continue using the combo technique, and this is working out much better for me than always going with a two bar acceleration.

#59 OFFLINE   SnitGTS

SnitGTS

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 208 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max SE

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

SDM, that's about the difference I see when I have to run the AC versus when I can run without the AC, it is a pretty big swing!  I can't wait to see what it is going to be like with the update, whether we keep more of the mpg's when the AC is on.  Have you gotten the update or scheduled your appointment yet?

Another technique I use sometimes when I'm in traffic is what I will call 'stepping', I get up to my 10-15 mph in EV, pulse at 2 bars until I've caught up to the traffic ahead of me, glide in EV until the traffic starts moving again, pulse at 2 bars until I catch up, glide, pulse, etc... until I hit the speed limit + 5 mph.  I don't have any proof one way or another which is the better technique, but I feel like I get a better charge on the battery this way and I'm on the gas less.  

Edit:  I just want to be a little more clear if I wasn't before: I'm charging the whole time when stepping!  When I'm on the gas it charges via the engine and when I'm gliding I'm charging via regeneration.  I don't really use EV mode until I'm up to speed.

Edited by SnitGTS, 08 August 2013 - 07:49 AM.

• JAZ and 11StiLimited like this

#60 OFFLINE   11StiLimited

11StiLimited

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 190 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Edit:  I just want to be a little more clear if I wasn't before: I'm charging the whole time when stepping!  When I'm on the gas it charges via the engine and when I'm gliding I'm charging via regeneration.  I don't really use EV mode until I'm up to speed.

Excellent point to mention :happy feet:

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·