Carpet in hatch area came up

Jbtbga

The entire carpet pad can be removed. It appears to be held in place with velcro. If your problem is the same as mine, the glue that Ford used to attach the fuzzy part of the carpet to the rubbery-plastic  backing underneath is weaker than the velcro and the carpet just sort of rolls up while the velcro stays down. I wonder if the carpet and the backing could be sewn together? At least along the edge that is  peeling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yup. Carpet coming up on my CMAX as well - just noticed it after I got my car back from the repair shop. I have the weathertech cover on it so I doubt that has anything to do with it. I didn't notice there was velcro anywhere - appears that the glue is not doing its job of gluing the carpet to the top of the battery compartment. Sigh...yet another CMAX repair...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The carpet on the bottom of the back of the rear seats came off on mine. Took it to the dealer and they glued it back. I don't know what they are using, but it's starting to happen again. :swear:

I discovered mine were off as soon as I got home with the brand new car: had the dealer repair it.  Then the carpet of the trunk area started coming up, had them repair that too.

mine is begining to come up...  its all self inflicted.  when I pull my golf bag out  it drags along the carpet,  and since there is nothing from the factory to protect the edge, or recess the carpet.  like what the factory did  to the seat hing flaps, the carpet edge is just a smidge recessed.....

It look slike the carped it stuck down to the backing material with something like rubber cement... 

the edges just need some extra "grippy" glue or something..

it look slike its just a heavy duty rubber mat under the carpet...  make me almost want to strip the carpet off the  rubber mat...

Edited by Marc Smith

My carpeting is also coming undone.  I didn't know there was a thread about this.  It really needs some kind of molding hold it on.  I also will mention it to my dealer next time I am in.  I have a pretty long list of things for them to do.

Let us know what your dealership has to say, obob. I'll be here if you need my assistance. :)

Crystal

This is a less than perfect design. I had the problem from day one. I glued mine back down.

The material really isn't backed and adhered to a solid surface. Also, the material will keep things from sliding, but the tradeoff is that whatever you try to slide on the floor will get stuck in it.

None of this was really ever a consideration for me, because I planned to cover the rear compartment ASAP after my purchase. As a scuba diver/instructor, I need something that can handle my wet dive gear and tanks without ruining the car. I had excellent success with prior vehicles by installing a CanvasBack, which not only handles things getting slid over it but is also waterproof. I ordered one, attached it and have been happy in my C-MAX, ever since. Since I was the first C-MAX to install one, they used my C-MAX for the picture on their web site, so you can see just how it will look in your C-MAX.

did the Gorilla glue  foam up?  th epolyeurethane nature of GG  as it expands  I fear  woudl cause a bit of a mess...

I make model boats  so I have quite the supply of two part epoxies...

Not really, just wet the backside of the carpet, applied a little Gorilla Glue and just pressed on it for a few minutes for it to stick and has been working great ever since.

Yep, same here. Had same problem with the carpet of those flappy things that cover the gap when seat go flat came unstuck.  One side one time, the other side after i had the first fixed.  I am betting Ford doesn't know this is a problem because most of them were either fixed by owners, or, when fixed at the dealer, and was never reported to Ford.  I'm with SDM, it really is a poor design.  A smooth surface with what looks like rubber cement used to attached the piece of carpet.  It was never meant to last.  I am guessing most owners glue it back themselves or toss the pieces of carpet all together to avoid taking it back to the dealer.

This is a less than perfect design. I had the problem from day one. I glued mine back down.

The material really isn't backed and adhered to a solid surface. Also, the material will keep things from sliding, but the tradeoff is that whatever you try to slide on the floor will get stuck in it.

None of this was really ever a consideration for me, because I planned to cover the rear compartment ASAP after my purchase. As a scuba diver/instructor, I need something that can handle my wet dive gear and tanks without ruining the car. I had excellent success with prior vehicles by installing a CanvasBack, which not only handles things getting slid over it but is also waterproof. I ordered one, attached it and have been happy in my C-MAX, ever since. Since I was the first C-MAX to install one, they used my C-MAX for the picture on their web site, so you can see just how it will look in your C-MAX.

Very nice post and link - looks like a very nice quality custom product for a fair price.  Not sure I want or need it...I need to think about that, but it might be a good idea, since we got a puppy in August!  Thank you.

• 7 months later...

It has taken a couple years but both pieces of carpet on the bottom of the seat backs came completely off.

Lots of glue on the back of the carpet but the surface it glues to is very smooth.

Maybe a little sandpaper or different type of glue, anyone got a long term solution?