Locking Gas plug

Steve1945

Greeting and Welcome

Probably not necessary... for a few years.

Most gas thieves (if there are any left) are TOO STUPID

to know what a capless gas tank is.

This is something that needs to be added to the forums wish list.

R U saying the Energi has a gas tank door which only opens from inside the cabin when a button is pushed?  If so why isn't it on the Hybrid model, Ford?

Yes. There is a button on the console that you push before refueling that runs some valves or something and then opens the door. There is also a manual mechanism in the cargo compartment if there is a problem with the electrically operated one.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the different venting systems which I think is because on the Energi you can go a long time without running the engine.

The locking gas filler cover is part of an emissions control system that the Energi has and the Hybrid does not. In my opinion, the emissions controls difference is the major difference in the fuel economy between the two models. Not the weight (although that has to contribute too) and not any difference in gearing that might have been there but apparently is not (as evidenced by the planned revisions to give the Hybrid the potential for EV operation up to 85 MPH like the Energi).

The aim for the Hybrid was the best possible fuel economy. The Energi needed the lowest possible emissions to get tax credits, HOV access and the acceptance that came with all that.

Even so, it makes no sense to make a modern car without a locking gas cap of some kind.

The locking gas filler cover is part of an emissions control system that the Energi has and the Hybrid does not. In my opinion, the emissions controls difference is the major difference in the fuel economy between the two models. Not the weight (although that has to contribute too) and not any difference in gearing that might have been there but apparently is not (as evidenced by the planned revisions to give the Hybrid the potential for EV operation up to 85 MPH like the Energi).

The aim for the Hybrid was the best possible fuel economy. The Energi needed the lowest possible emissions to get tax credits, HOV access and the acceptance that came with all that.

Even so, it makes no sense to make a modern car without a locking gas cap of some kind.

My understanding from a writeup I read of a the Volt (which has a similar system) is that with a plug-in hybrid, many more users will go days/weeks between uses of the gasoline engine, so it is more important to prevent the evaporation of some of the more volatile components of the gasoline, so that it will remain usable longer. 

That makes sense, but they still should have put a locking gas cap on the Hybrid. After Hurricane Sandy, gas was hard to come by for a week or so around here and my wife wouldn't use her car (a minivan), even though she had a full tank, because she was afraid someone would siphon her. I didn't hear of any siphoning, but there is always the potential if gas becomes scarce enough.

My understanding from a writeup I read of a the Volt (which has a similar system) is that with a plug-in hybrid, many more users will go days/weeks between uses of the gasoline engine, so it is more important to prevent the evaporation of some of the more volatile components of the gasoline, so that it will remain usable longer. 

Yes, the Volt system is pressurized to help slow gas degradation over time.  I typically went 6 weeks between fills but many folks can go months or even years on the same tank.  The car will force you to burn a tank per year to get rid of stale gas but some crafty folks have workarounds for that (only keep two or so gallons in it).  Crazy.  A Plug totally changes things.

Edited by fotomoto

Seriously?  Google cmax locking gas cap

Yes, seriously because a generic locking gas cap won't work on the C-Max and it appeared you had found one that you either knew or thought would work.

Anyway I googled away and found http://accessories.ford.com/locking-fuel-plug.html

The same search also took me a thread titled "Locking Gas Cap?" started in Nov 2012.  I had not seen this thread before.

The link to http://accessories.ford.com/locking-fuel-plug.html is cited there by rfruth and in reply RedLdr1 said, "Unfortunately those locking caps / plugs do not fit the C-Max.  I have one sitting on a shelf in my garage I had used on my 2010 Flex that I thought I could reuse.  The C-Max has a really weird filler and neck, that is why Ford supplied a funnel in case you ever need to add fuel from a gas can...."

Too bad Ford didn't just make an inside release the only way to open the gas door on the hybrid models.

I understand they had to do something on the Energi because of it's pressurized gas tank, but it's baffling that on the Hybrid they just didn't use a simple "choke cable" type floor mounted opening lever for the gas door like every car I've rented this century.

agreed.since the Energi is the same trim level as the SEL, the SEL should get this option an well. i agree its a security issue for those who want to be mean.

Edited by jdbob

Saw an articule awhile back where they just bypass the locking gas cap. Seems they carry a cordless drill & drill a hole in your gas tank then catch it with a bucket. In most cases you're looking at a new tank afterwards. Yeah, I hate a thief.

Yep, if they really want to steal something, they will a flimsy flap isn't going to help. Here in Detroit cars have bern stolen by breaking shifters then pushing the car with a 2nd car.