Show Us Your Wallpaper!

Where are folks getting these images from, and how do you upload them?

Well, I found all of mine via Google Images, by searching for the individual scenes I wanted.... 

So, like for the first quadrant, I decided a rotary phone would be nice. I went to images.google.com and entered "rotary phone". Then I clicked on "Search Tools" and selected "Color", then clicked on yellow. This gave me a huge selection of yellow-tinted photographs of rotary phones. I found one I liked, copied and pasted it into MSPaint. I wanted to capture as much of the rotary itself in the picture, so I rotated the image 90 degrees from how I found it. Then I resized and cropped accordingly.

My process with the next images was pretty much the same. First I tried searching "map", but those were boring, so I searched "map with compass" instead. I did the same thing with Search Tools as well, selected green, and there were my choices. That image, I was lucky to find, because it was perfect.

Then I searched, "concert", selected red, and found that one immediately.

And for the last one, I went through a few options. First, I searched "clouds", but they were pretty boring; they needed something else, but I wasn't sure what. For inspiration, I tried searching "Climate" and found lots of pictures like tornadoes, icebergs, polar bears, etc. I almost used a glacier, actually, but after I had it cropped into place, I felt like it didn't fit with the others. There was too much whiteness in the image. Finally, I thought to search "wind farm" and wound up finding what you see there, which I think works quite well.

If I may say myself, there's definitely some effort and creativity involved, in so much that you need to have an idea in your head of what you want the final product to be, so that you can search for the correct terms. And then once you're faced with a huge selection of images, you need to have an eye for finding ones that will look cohesive when placed next to each other. The technical skill, however, in my case at least, wasn't much at all. I didn't need to actually edit any colors, which would've required PhotoShop. Since I was only moving, resizing, and cropping, everything was possible in MSPaint.

And lastly, imgur.com makes uploading/sharing images incredibly simple, so I used that.

I decided the other one is too busy once I actually put it in the car. Darn. So I'm going to try something simpler, like maybe this...

0NkRJHw.jpg

Conveniently, we have Sprint, which I'm not a huge fan of or anything (I mean, they're alright), but their logo is yellow, so I figured, might as well.

Edited by CarpeNivem

• 4 weeks later...

My small contribution... the first is an astrophotograph of an area just below Orion's Belt, featuring the Horsehead and Flame nebulae to the left, through the Running Man to include the entire M42 Orion Nebula; I like it on the small screen.

And a personal favorite, my home wallpaper, the Space Shuttle Endeavor landing for the last time (2nd to last Shuttle landing). I like the composition; returning from the blackness of space ought to be dark...

Both from APOD

HAve fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

I found another variation on the Android logo...

g5zjBOX.jpg

...because I kinda changed my mind about the other one. It didn't really look right.

Carpe,

Did you make this image, and if you did could make one with the an iOS logo. I think this image is tremendous! Thanks in advance if you can do it.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

• 2 weeks later...