Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

Got the letter today. My dealer still has not heard of any upgrade. What are they going to do if this car actually needs real service? I have little confidence that Ford can support or maintain this vehicle. I am going to take the letter I got, and other information from the internet to my dealer on Saturday morning and show it to them. I will talk to a supervisor when I get there and see if I get anywhere. I could try another dealer, but they are pretty far away.

My dealer had not heard of the upgrade either, I had to tell them it was code 13B07, that there wasn't any parts required that it was only a software update, she had to go to the manager to ask if they did it, it was a hassle to get the appointment but I dropped it off and they updated it successfully on the first try, so don't give up on it yet.

My dealer had not heard of the upgrade either, I had to tell them it was code 13B07, that there wasn't any parts required that it was only a software update, she had to go to the manager to ask if they did it, it was a hassle to get the appointment but I dropped it off and they updated it successfully on the first try, so don't give up on it yet.

They should be able to run your VIN in Oasis and it should show up as an item needing service

So I took my car out for a nice almost 30 mile round trip tonight to pick up my girlfriend's car that was at the mechanic, the mechanic is less than a mile from my parents house and I know the route extremely well.  On the way it's about 5 miles of 40 mph roads and 10 miles of a 50 mph highway with lots of hills.  On the way back I took a similar, but different route of about 7 miles of 40 mph roads and 8 miles of a 50 mph highway that is much less hilly.  My speeds were typically 5 mph faster than the speed limit on the roads and 5-10 mph faster on the highways and I had the air on for maybe half the trip as it is cool here but very muggy.

I haven't seen anyone else say they noticed a difference in the car, but I honestly feel a little bit thrown by the changes.  Here is what I've noticed so far:

- the car seems determined to keep the battery state of charge higher, I actually filled the battery a couple of times tonight on my way to the mechanic and I've never done that before despite travelling the same roads many times.

- when I was able to drain the battery on my way home the threshold came down faster than before, a couple of times I was running on the ICE and I didn't even realize it.  I got really good at getting extra mpg with a low battery before the update, but the car does not let me get the battery nearly as low as I could before.

- the car was much more aggressive with the EV assisting the ICE in acceleration and hills, but this may just be because the state of charge is consistently higher.

- the ICE sounds louder at 2 bars, I have no idea why, but I swear it is.

- acceleration a couple pixels over 2 bars is hurting my 'score' for the acceleration coach, it drags me down well into the orange when before I was able to stay in the blue up to about 2 and a half bars.  I'm pretty sure they are scoring this different now.

I honestly felt terrible about the trip, I even somewhat gave up on getting good mileage on the way back and drove a little faster than I would have otherwise.  When I got home I was going to be happy if I got 45 for the trip with the updates, which I laughed off because I thought there was no way I was going to get that high with how I was driving.

IMG 20130808 210039

I don't get it, but I'm not going to complain!  I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow!!!

Edit:  My previous norms for mileage to and from my destination are 50 mpg to and 45 mpg from, if I had done a full round trip I'm guessing it would have probably come in right around the 47 mpg rating and that's with being 'good'.
Edited by SnitGTS

Well got the upgrade installed today and I must say I notice a difference even with the short time I was able to drive at 65mph.  I took a picture when I got home from the dealer but I'm not able to upload any pictures right now, keep getting an error message.  I was very blown away by the AvMPG number.  I know it was a short trip and maybe that is why it was such a great number?  But this is the highest number I've ever recorded with normal driving without resetting the fuel history.  Quite pleased so far with the results of the upgrade.  I recorded a 83.7AvMPG :happy feet:

So far, after having the update for a week, overall I've been impressed.  But there is one thing that's really bugging me.

There's a stoplight about .25mi from my house, where I nearly always have to sit and wait.  Before the update, I'd pull up to the light and it would drop into EV, then the ICE would start as soon as I go again.  Post-update, the ICE continues running until it reaches a temperature it's happy with.  So, tonight, here I am, sitting at a light, A/C off, with my MPG dragging down to 9, 8, 7, and finally, 6.4mpg before I'm able to go.  Ouch.  That said, I still averaged 54.4mpg on the trip, but if the ICE would just shut off at that stoplight, I'm sure it would be even better.

I've noticed if I can make it to the stoplight in EV mode, then it's no problem.  But the second I kick it into ICE after a start, then the ICE continues running until it reaches temperature (thank goodness that temperature is lower than before).  With EV+ seemingly being more aggressive, my battery is usually low enough when I home that I can barely leave my driveway without the ICE kicking in on my next trip.

FWIW - pre-update, 44.3mpg lifetime; 47.2mpg since the update. Both with roughly half 70mph highway, half city.

So, Ford engineers, if you're reading this -- great job overall with the update, but please, please fix it so the ICE still turns off when stopped, even if the engine is still warming.

I just ran my vin number on Etis.

It shows I am due for 3 service actions

12M02 SYNC update

13B07 Powertrain calibration

13C02 Headliner head impact protection

No letter from Ford yet, but I guess I will be getting one eventually. I was figuring I will see if they can do these at my first oil change. I am at 3600 miles now. I will probably bring it in before 6000 for the first change

Does the headliner change effect the headroom left in the car?

12M02 SYNC update

No letter from Ford yet, but I guess I will be getting one eventually. I was figuring I will see if they can do these at my first oil change. I am at 3600 miles now. I will probably bring it in before 6000 for the first change

You should GaryM, mine came Thursday but that was the day I took it in.

So far, after having the update for a week, overall I've been impressed.  But there is one thing that's really bugging me.

There's a stoplight about .25mi from my house, where I nearly always have to sit and wait.  Before the update, I'd pull up to the light and it would drop into EV, then the ICE would start as soon as I go again.  Post-update, the ICE continues running until it reaches a temperature it's happy with.  So, tonight, here I am, sitting at a light, A/C off, with my MPG dragging down to 9, 8, 7, and finally, 6.4mpg before I'm able to go.  Ouch.  That said, I still averaged 54.4mpg on the trip, but if the ICE would just shut off at that stoplight, I'm sure it would be even better.

I've noticed if I can make it to the stoplight in EV mode, then it's no problem.  But the second I kick it into ICE after a start, then the ICE continues running until it reaches temperature (thank goodness that temperature is lower than before).  With EV+ seemingly being more aggressive, my battery is usually low enough when I home that I can barely leave my driveway without the ICE kicking in on my next trip.

FWIW - pre-update, 44.3mpg lifetime; 47.2mpg since the update. Both with roughly half 70mph highway, half city.

So, Ford engineers, if you're reading this -- great job overall with the update, but please, please fix it so the ICE still turns off when stopped, even if the engine is still warming.

I've worried about Energi drivers and us.

We live at the top of a hill, if I turn left out of our neighborhood it's still downhill.

I can be doing 50 mph when the ICE first starts.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS :nonono: !      And force the ICE to start at ASAP.

I was taught that the first few seconds a gas engine runs is where ALL the wear is.

I can't even imagine how much worse it would be if the motor starts for the first time in the morning @ at 50+ MPH, I can see these things wearing out, using oil etc. in a few years.

Thoughts...

12M02 SYNC update

Just looked at mine, 12M02 just showed up this morning, wonder what it is - the description is kind of cryptic

Edited by Wingrider01

So I took my car out for a nice almost 30 mile round trip tonight to pick up my girlfriend's car that was at the mechanic, the mechanic is less than a mile from my parents house and I know the route extremely well.  On the way it's about 5 miles of 40 mph roads and 10 miles of a 50 mph highway with lots of hills.  On the way back I took a similar, but different route of about 7 miles of 40 mph roads and 8 miles of a 50 mph highway that is much less hilly.  My speeds were typically 5 mph faster than the speed limit on the roads and 5-10 mph faster on the highways and I had the air on for maybe half the trip as it is cool here but very muggy.

I haven't seen anyone else say they noticed a difference in the car, but I honestly feel a little bit thrown by the changes.  Here is what I've noticed so far:

- the car seems determined to keep the battery state of charge higher, I actually filled the battery a couple of times tonight on my way to the mechanic and I've never done that before despite travelling the same roads many times.

- when I was able to drain the battery on my way home the threshold came down faster than before, a couple of times I was running on the ICE and I didn't even realize it.  I got really good at getting extra mpg with a low battery before the update, but the car does not let me get the battery nearly as low as I could before.

- the car was much more aggressive with the EV assisting the ICE in acceleration and hills, but this may just be because the state of charge is consistently higher.

- the ICE sounds louder at 2 bars, I have no idea why, but I swear it is.

- acceleration a couple pixels over 2 bars is hurting my 'score' for the acceleration coach, it drags me down well into the orange when before I was able to stay in the blue up to about 2 and a half bars.  I'm pretty sure they are scoring this different now.

I honestly felt terrible about the trip, I even somewhat gave up on getting good mileage on the way back and drove a little faster than I would have otherwise.  When I got home I was going to be happy if I got 45 for the trip with the updates, which I laughed off because I thought there was no way I was going to get that high with how I was driving.

I don't get it, but I'm not going to complain!  I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow!!!

Edit:  My previous norms for mileage to and from my destination are 50 mpg to and 45 mpg from, if I had done a full round trip I'm guessing it would have probably come in right around the 47 mpg rating and that's with being 'good'.

It was a rainy and muggy this morning, used the AC a little and still managed to pull off 76.1 mpg to work! Beats my previous record of 72.4 which happened on a near perfect day. I'll post the pic tonight when I get home.

I just had the highest mpg's for my trip to work this morning. When I shut off my Maxie it said 55.6mpg. I did take a pic and will post it when I get home tonight. 1 mile to the innerstate at 55, 30 miles on the innerstate at 70, 1 mile in construction at 45 and 1 mile on the city streets to work. I was raining and foggy all the way temp was 74 degrees and running without cruise. I normally get 46-48 mpg for the trip. Don't know how I did it. I DO NOT HAVE THE SOFTWARE UPDATE YET 

I just had the highest mpg's for my trip to work this morning. When I shut off my Maxie it said 55.6mpg. I did take a pic and will post it when I get home tonight. 1 mile to the innerstate at 55, 30 miles on the innerstate at 70, 1 mile in construction at 45 and 1 mile on the city streets to work. I was raining and foggy all the way temp was 74 degrees and running without cruise. I normally get 46-48 mpg for the trip. Don't know how I did it. I DO NOT HAVE THE SOFTWARE UPDATE YET 

Thats awesome John. I suspect lack of cruise and also slightly slower speed due to the cautionary driving you were doing in the rain & fog. Also ecoc ain't that smart and more of a convenience. Yeah, some of my best runs is when I don't know how I did it...I should start a gallons used point log for my morning commute to trace it.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ok, as promised here is my pic from my morning commute.  It was raining a little and muggy so there was a little AC use and it was not the best driving day with lights and traffic, but still broke my previous record handily.

IMG 20130809 083011

In addition, I took a picture of my return trip home.  It was pouring, muggy as all heck, I lost count how many times I got cut off and had to hit the brakes then use the ICE to get back up to speed, and traffic was a bear.  I've had worse days with worse mileage, but my normal for driving home is around 45 mpg so this was a little disappointing.  I'm sure on a better day I will do better.

IMG 20130809 172315

I can't even imagine how much worse it would be if the motor starts for the first time in the morning @ at 50+ MPH, I can see these things wearing out, using oil etc. in a few years.

Thoughts...

Starting the ICE at high speeds is normal - it turns on and off smoothly while going up and down hills at 70+ mph on the highway all the time.  The MG1 spins as necessary to start the ICE for whatever speed the MG2 and the wheels are turning.

Took the letter and other info to our dealer in Wake Forest this morning, and they knew what it was when I handed the car over to them! They finished at about noon and I just got back from picking it up. Hit the highway very briefly on my way home and was able to get EV mode at 70MPH, so it looks like the upgrade went well. I will know more this week when I drive it back and forth to work. My EV+ locations are gone, but I guess that is normal.