Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

What data are you interested in seeing? I'm not planning to update for a month or more; got to see what the pre-update can do, first, but I'm still at 1/2 on my first tank!

HAve fun,

Frank

I would probably make 3 test runs of at least 20 mile round trips 1) at slower speeds up to around 45 mph with many stops and starts on back roads, 20 medium speeds cruising between about 45 - 65 mph with minimal stops and then 3) high speed cruising with no stops at 70 or 75 mph.  I would record via the OBDII port RPM, torque, SOC, and speed since I can only monitor and record 4 data points at one time via my laptop and Ross-Tech VCDS software.  I would use the FE trip screens to monitor FE and snap pics at end of each test.   I would repeat the tests after the update and compare / analyze results. It would also be great to monitor / record via a camera the operation of the grille shutters to see if one can notice if the shutters remain closed more often after the update to enhance aerodynamics.  My laptop is old (slow) and I have watched shutter operation but cannot record the operation.  The tests should be run at about the same ambient temperatures with no ac or other aux. use.

There is software for androids and iphones to monitor and graph via the OBDII port using an ELM 327 module.  I assume one can save the recorded data for analyzing later.  I'm debating whether I should buy an ELM 327 and try out this app for the iphone, ipad. 

Wow, nsteblay, thank you for the highly informative post!  I feel as though I just received a "graduate level course" in the C-Max for free.  I think I am going to be able to use some of the information in this post to boost my gas mileage a bit.

I agree!  Nsteblay, have you had all the updates and, if so, what do you think of them? 

Yesterday they 13B07'ed my C-max. First observations:

- now it is like a different car - less peppiness, less torque, more ICE buzzing/whining while accelerating

- I was able to drive in EV mode @75mph which is something I like a lot although it is illegal in NJ yet very common especially on the Interstates.

- fuel economy: now it is around 43 mpg, before it was around 35 mpg

- they said they HAD to perform the 13B07 thing in order to do the succesful 3.1.3 -> 3.5.1 update

So IMVHO - the update is a partial success at a cost of fun-to-drive factor

Because of my back injury, I drive almost always in ECO cruise.  Even at low speeds.  I just can't play hypermiling games with the peddle, etc.  I am honestly very surprised that I hit the 500 mark.  I thought that day would never come.

I would probably make 3 test runs of at least 20 mile round trips 1) at slower speeds up to around 45 mph with many stops and starts on back roads, 20 medium speeds cruising between about 45 - 65 mph with minimal stops and then 3) high speed cruising with no stops at 70 or 75 mph.  I would record via the OBDII port... I would use the FE trip screens to monitor FE and snap pics at end of each test.   I would repeat the tests after the update and compare / analyze results. ...The tests should be run at about the same ambient temperatures with no ac or other aux. use.

I was planning N=5 (1 week ea.), but only scenarios 1 @ 15 miles and scenario 3  @ 22 miles as they are my commuting options. However, I will record them in pairs of round trips, as I do have a net elevation change. No ScanGauge or smart phone available, so photos of trip screens will do. I'll record temperature at some point, as well as any needs for heat or AC. Our weather's fairly uniform this time of year, but clearly changes for the colder in mid-October. The only thing I can't replicate is the inital PCM once I upgrade, so any seasonal adjsutments will have to wait a year for the next season change.

Any other suggestions (beyond "buy a ScanGauge")?

HAve fun,

Frank

After a quick (and dirty) data analysis on my fuel usage to date.  Disclaimer, I'm not a math person so I need to figure out some really good analysis techniques.  Obviously, the post-PCM update has limited data points.

Lifetime (since I got it.  Bought with 2,545 miles, now at 10,899 miles)

39.35 mpg (according to car)

36.95 mpg (using gas pump gallons)

Using 12 fill ups from before the PCM update,

Average 39.7 mpg (according to car)

Average 37.38 mpg (using gas pump gallons)

Average 97.7 EV miles

Average 9.16 gallons (according to car)

Average 9.74 gallons (pump)

Using 4 fill ups from after the PCM update:

Average 38.9 mpg (according to car)

Average 37.9 mpg (using gas pump gallons)

Average 83.7 EV miles

Average 8.79 gallons (according to car)

Average 9.22 gallons (pump)

I started capturing data from the Trip screen at 4,531 miles (7/4/13). 

OK, I have to say I'm feeling better about the upgrade than I was 2 weeks ago when it was re-installed.  :baby: I really felt like it was wrong again, but.........either the car is learning, I am learning or both.  :dance:I had about 17 freeway miles on Tuesday @ 48mpg. It was crazy to see it flip into EV @ 70mph! :drop: 'Course it only lasted for about 20 seconds, but who cares? My current average on this tank is 48.8 with about 1/3 freeway and the rest my usual route to/from work over 35-50 mph roads with several stop signs/lights. Tomorrow we are taking a short road trip from A2 to Flint that will be all freeway. :shift: I'm anxious to see how the update works over a longer trip on freeways at 70 mph. Will report back late Saturday or Sunday.

:sandman:

Have a great weekend all!

I just topped 500 miles on the same tank that I drove home 375 highway miles from Niagara Falls and I am at 47.3 mpg for the tank.  That's 75% highway and 25% city and I'm over 47 mpg.  

I could easily top 600 miles on this tank, however I dropped the car off at my ford dealer to get the headliner recall and an oil change, so I guarantee they will mess that up for me.

Oh well, should be interesting to see what I get for the next tank!

I agree!  Nsteblay, have you had all the updates and, if so, what do you think of them? 

I have had all the updates.  I would recommend them.  I've been getting great mileage, MFT has been solid, really liking the car, has met all my expectations this summer.  Jury is still out on how winter will impact MPG.  I am anticipating a huge hit to mileage in the winter but I might be surprised.  Ford is saying the 13B07 improves cold weather mileage.  

Thats a great question, pre-13b07 was easy, double tap the "-" and it would kick in the ICE High MPG. However, maybe its me, but it doesn't want to go into the negative split mode as using the same double tap kicks it into full EV. I am still playing with it on the freeway but if someone can elaborate on this "blip" I would think the whole forum would like to know as well....

Try it at a higher speed.  I had all three updates (FE, Headliner, and MFT) and so far all is gong well!!   I noticed milage in the 50's on my way home from Galpin to Simi.  I am still playing around but, I seem to recall it going into HIgh ICE when traveling over 70 MPH or there a bouts.  Give it a try and let me know.  You are correct that it does seem more of a challenge to get the car into HIgh ICE after the update.   I have to ask again, how in the Hell do you get such outrageously high MPG figures!  You are the MAN!!!  A few pointers for your Ol' Valley area Pal, please.  

Edited by Generalbeluga

Took my Maxie in to fix the update. They said they used 2 computers and checked the update to be sure, and they could not find anything wrong. Driving off the lot I noticed right away that something was changed. I had power agian. My babies back :happy feet:  :yahoo:  :bliss:

Coming into work today at 70. RPS that used to run at 4500 and climb hills at 6000 were back to cruise at 2000 and climb hills at 3000.

I was using 1/4 tank of gas per day for 66 mile round trip and now did't see a change on the gas gauge coming in.

EV at 65 aand 70 is AWSOME!!!!! :wub2:

Have to tell them what happened   

GREAT JOB  BUYERS FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to get mine in next week for the 13B07 update and headliner recall etc. I am hoping they will do a loaner car since I have 3 things to be done and the oil change service. 

On the old software, the "High ICE" mode can be triggered as low as 50 mph. I will have to see if it still does it after the update. On my drive to/from San Diego the last few days, I was running in Eco Cruise most of the time. The way down was above 65 so it pretty much stayed in High ICE. On the way back though, there was a lot of traffic holding the speed to 50 to 60 MPH. It would go into EV mode and I would let it roll there for about a mile at a time. When the battery got down to 50%, just a quick blip on the accelerator pedal would fire up the ICE and it would go into charge mode and 30-35 MPG. As the battery got to 75%, the MPG would climb to over 50 on level ground. Somewhere between 75% and 90% it would go back to EV mode. Seemed to depend on grade and speed. I will have to compare this to what it does after the 13B07 update. If it wants to run in EV more, I am guessing it will act more like it does in the city now where the battery stays much lower, close to 50-60%. 

I just topped 500 miles on the same tank that I drove home 375 highway miles from Niagara Falls ...

I trust you waved as you went by Rochester on the Thruway... and where in NJ? I was born in Camden...

My babies back...

Congratulations!

Have fun,

Frank

Scheduled for Monday morning for the update and to redo the Sync(it forgot that it should recognize I heart and Slacker Radios.)  Also hope to knock out the headliner recall. Service rep says this will be their first updates. But I won't be alone.  They have 3 others scheduled that day.  I always hope for the best but expect the worst. :doh:  

Try it at a higher speed.  I had all three updates (FE, Headliner, and MFT) and so far all is gong well!!   I noticed milage in the 50's on my way home from Galpin to Simi.  I am still playing around but, I seem to recall it going into HIgh ICE when traveling over 70 MPH or there a bouts.  Give it a try and let me know.  You are correct that it does seem more of a challenge to get the car into HIgh ICE after the update.   I have to ask again, how in the Hell do you get such outrageously high MPG figures!  You are the MAN!!!  A few pointers for your Ol' Valley area Pal, please.  

Gen - hope u will figure out some cool and easy ICE high mpg rather than "blip" it...anyway...lets start...lol, not da man.

#1 tip, avoid the Conejo grade, use the east la ave, moorpark, santa rosa - that grade will burn more fuel than I use in 2 days of driving. i love east la ave...its so nice to go thru the farms lands and even pick up some vegs & fruits.

#2 use the box cyn from 118 to valley circle to 101.

#3 kannan is good going from north to south (to PCH) but topanga is best for going south to north (to 101).

#4 the 118 going east to west. do not go stupid and burn 65 mph from topanga to the top of rocky peak. keep to the right and use the 2 bar burn for most efficiency. Recharge like hell going down the grade to yosemite - tap the brakes so you can get as much charge as you can because whilst going from yosemite to first is essentially down hill, you still need to use from charge (preferably EV) from yosemite. Effectively around Sequoia, its more downhill so you can back off the EV. Use the P&G.

#5 on the 23, north to south, avoid the sunset grade and if you can't - 2 bar it up the hill. This is where Moorpark is a possible option?

#6 118 going west to east. I can P&G or just use eco-cruise (ice high mpg). its all up grade so its payback time for the #4. nuthin you can do to fight physics. If you really want to save the MPG, Cochran Rd or East LA Ave.

So, the gist of this is to avoid climbing these bad a$$ grades at 65+mph speed, if u can. As my job takes me to different roads, sometimes these alternative roads such as east la ave vs 118 makes more sense for me.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Gen - hope u will figure out some cool and easy ICE high mpg rather than "blip" it...anyway...lets start...lol, not da man.

#1 tip, avoid the Conejo grade, use the east la ave, moorpark, santa rosa - that grade will burn more fuel than I use in 2 days of driving. i love east la ave...its so nice to go thru the farms lands and even pick up some vegs & fruits.

#3 kannan is good going from north to south (to PCH) but topanga is best for going south to north (to 101).

#4 the 118 going east to west. do not go stupid and burn 65 mph from topanga to the top of rocky peak. keep to the right and use the 2 bar burn for most efficiency. Recharge like hell going down the grade to yosemite - tap the brakes so you can get as much charge as you can because whilst going from yosemite to first is essentially down hill, you still need to use from charge (preferably EV) from yosemite. Effectively around Sequoia, its more downhill so you can back off the EV. Use the P&G.

#5 on the 23, north to south, avoid the sunset grade and if you can't - 2 bar it up the hill. This is where Moorpark is a possible option?

#6 118 going west to east. I can P&G or just use eco-cruise (ice high mpg). its all up grade so its payback time for the #4. nuthin you can do to fight physics. If you really want to save the MPG, Cochran Rd or East LA Ave.

So, the gist of this is to avoid climbing these bad a$$ grades at 65+mph speed, if u can. As my job takes me to different roads, sometimes these alternative roads such as east la ave vs 118 makes more sense for me.

How do you remember all that? I figured I'd count stop signs and stop lights on my route; took several tries before I got the same answer twice... 6 and 11.  where'd all those light come from?

+1 on the 2-bar burn.

Have fun,

Frank

snl_312_californians_001_zps5bc9aa96.jpg

:)

I had the recalls done today. A couple of things I noticed:

- The brakes seem softer

- The A/C runs on high A LOT longer now if it's on Auto, but it only used 1 kw at startup instead of 2 to 4.

- Even with the A/C off, the car seems noisier. I'll have to drive it a bit more to pin point what I think is causing the extra noise.

- FE seems a little better, but too small of a sample size to tell for sure.

While they were doing the updates, they lent me a 2013 Focus, which has a dual clutch transmission. REALLY made me appreciate the smooth ride with the CVT in the C-Max. The Focus does get really good mileage on the highway, and is a great option for people with large highway commutes as long as you can stand the jerkiness of the DCT.