Custom Search

Welcome to Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

• Please log in to reply
451 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   JohnnOhio

JohnnOhio

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL and GMC Canyon and 1956 Ford 860 tractor

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

Here is the pic I took Friday morning. Sorry out of focus. I was hurrying to take it.
Best I have done and don't know how it is doing it,

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#162 ONLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

Anyone know the cause of all these update failures?

#163 OFFLINE   Adair

Adair

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Moderators
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMilan, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL, 303A, built 11.24.12

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

Had mine updated yesterday.  Hmmm...I had 45.5 mpgs for the tank when I went in.  And the first thing I noticed is that my mileage started dropping...FAST!  I really want to get at least one 45 mpg tank, so I'm trying to baby it until I can fill it up. 

I noticed that driving one direction to the store I got 38 mpg.  Driving home I got 51.  And the car feels completely different.  My EV + was gone (no big deal) and the Eco cruise was off, had to turn that back on.

Yes! When I had the *do-over*, my mileage dropped on the way home Friday and during my drives yesterday. I feel like I'm having to learn to drive it all over again....really drives different. EV+ locations were gone. I'll have to check Eco cruise

#164 OFFLINE   MtnMarty

MtnMarty

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Hybrid

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

Usually because either the service guy applies the wrong file or the service guys don't have the updated files on their laptops.

#165 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

...or they are using the wrong hookup cable from their laptop to the cars pcm (from another FE thread here)

Edited by salsaguy, 12 August 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#166 OFFLINE   ceemax71

ceemax71

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 250 posts
  • LocationMissouri
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

It looks like the most likely cause of failures is having the wrong version of IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Software) installed on their laptop computer or the wrong vehicle communication module (VCM).

I had to take mine in the second time because the first attempt was not successful.

I printed and showed them following message issued 8/5/13 on OASIS the second time I took it in:

SSM 44124 - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration
Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 and either the VCM I or the VCM II. If the IDS software has been updated to R86.00, the user must update to R86.01 and use the VCM I. Do not use the VCM II and IDS R86.01 to perform FSA 13B07.

• Michigan Max likes this

#167 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

The first attempt at 13B07 failed for me. I printed out the message recommended earlier in this thread and provided that to the tech. He made sure he had the correct version of the software installed and it worked fine the second time. 

Though it's challenging to find a road in Minnesota that isn't under some sort of construction I was able to get above 65 MPH on the ride after the update.  EV did kick in above 65 MPH so I know the fix took.  I got 48.1 MPG on the ride home from the car dealership.

Weather has been ideal here so I've been getting EPA estimates - no air conditioning. I am very curious how the update helps when cold weather hits.

#168 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

Good gawd....I am due for my update tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes. Hey, I should not fret..its my buddy SA Bill P & Galpin :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 13 August 2013 - 02:37 AM.

• oxnard and salsaguy like this

#169 OFFLINE   BobJustBob

BobJustBob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMalvern, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SE Ingot Silver

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

I had my third dead battery today.  The other two were in March.  I had TSB 13-5-1 installed the first week in May.  That seemed to fix the problem.  I had the 13B07 upgrade installed on 8/1--now, the dead battery problem has reemerged.  This has left me wondering if the 13B07 upgrade is somehow responsible for the reemergence of the battery problem.  This is terribly frustrating.

#170 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

I had my third dead battery today.  The other two were in March.  I had TSB 13-5-1 installed the first week in May.  That seemed to fix the problem.  I had the 13B07 upgrade installed on 8/1--now, the dead battery problem has reemerged.  This has left me wondering if the 13B07 upgrade is somehow responsible for the reemergence of the battery problem.  This is terribly frustrating.

I hear yer. Thats jus plain crap BJB, sorry about it....I would hammer your SA and see what they say, its completely not acceptable.

#171 OFFLINE   rboone

rboone

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAtlanta
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max 2013

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

New member but C-Max owner since March.  Just had the control module update done yesterday morning and I reset everything.   Getting 49 MPG total on 170 mile so far and todays commute was phenomenal at 55.9MPG

38.2 miles 20.8 EV Miles 1.7 Regen Miles 55.9 MPG 0.6 gal Brake score 98%  Woo hoo

• Adair, ScubaDadMiami, slampro and 1 other like this

#172 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 303A Hybrid

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Car and wife sat at the dealership all day today trying to get 13B07 to download.  It wouldn't, still won't.  Car is still there, hopefully we will get it back tomorrow. 

Make sure you print out this before taking it in, this may save you a few days and /or another trip.  

SSM 44124 - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration
Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 and either the VCM I or the VCM II. If the IDS software has been updated to R86.00, the user must update to R86.01 and use the VCM I. Do not use the VCM II and IDS R86.01 to perform FSA 13B07.

#173 OFFLINE   asb

asb

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 260 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:cmax se hybrid

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

So far, absolutely no change on my mileage.  I was in EV this morning while driving 70 mph on the highway.  But my mileage hasn't improved.

#174 OFFLINE   Adair

Adair

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Moderators
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMilan, Michigan
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL, 303A, built 11.24.12

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

So far, absolutely no change on my mileage.  I was in EV this morning while driving 70 mph on the highway.  But my mileage hasn't improved.

I'm finally back up to where I was before the *do-over* but I still feel like it struggles to maintain EV. Haven't been on the highway yet. It's not my normal route until Saturdays. We'll see.

#175 OFFLINE   GaryM

GaryM

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE Hybrid

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

Good gawd....I am due for my update tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes. Hey, I should not fret..its my buddy SA Bill P & Galpin :)

Let me know how it goes at Galpin. I live up in Santa Clarita, but I bought the car down at Galpin and will bring it back there for at least the first few service visits. The Ford dealer up here does not give my any feeling of confidence. We bought a used car from them a few years back and they were awful. They also only had 9 C-Max's in stock when Galpin had over 100 at their storage lot. 

I have not scheduled anything yet, but I am closing in on the first scheduled service pretty quickly. I figured I will get a works service and the updates at about 5,000 miles.

Gary

#176 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

Let me know how it goes at Galpin. I live up in Santa Clarita, but I bought the car down at Galpin and will bring it back there for at least the first few service visits. The Ford dealer up here does not give my any feeling of confidence. We bought a used car from them a few years back and they were awful. They also only had 9 C-Max's in stock when Galpin had over 100 at their storage lot. 

I have not scheduled anything yet, but I am closing in on the first scheduled service pretty quickly. I figured I will get a works service and the updates at about 5,000 miles.

Gary

Ask for Bill Parks. I am getting my 20,000 oild change done as well, might as well since they're having the car for such a long time. The headliner is going to take some time. He's good, he opened my bonnet and spotted some calcium water splashes...either some car has splash me with some coolant or I have a leak. I didn't even notice it but I am not an engineer. And ICE seemed fine to me.

End of the week is the prediction but in the meantime I am flying the Luftwaffe biplane :flyaway:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 14 August 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#177 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Das is gooooooood. Mein Jus....we haf ways uf making you conVERT!!!! ;)

All hail the VW Passat. last one i had probably saved my life.

My dream car would be the Audi A6 or S5 but for now this is my poor mans Audi / Phaeton (amazing how much it does look like the Phaeton with my tint and chrome )

enjoy the limo

End of the week is the prediction but in the meantime I am flying the Luftwaffe biplane :flyaway:

Edited by salsaguy, 14 August 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#178 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

I am seeing EV mode now at high speeds.  The car is more sensitive to acceleration at high speeds so for it to kick in at 65-75 requires mostly flat or downhill - at least that is what I've experienced to date.  I got 46.3 on the way to work and 49.5 on the way back yesterday.  I was P&G even when traveling at 70+ alternating between Positive Split Mode and Electric Mode.  

I actually like the change because most freeways in the Twin Cities are posted at 65 MPH.  I think it will improve my mileage overall.

I am not sure when the car will ever get into Negative Split Mode.  Before the fix I was experiencing decent mileage once Negative Split Mode was achieved - low 40's.  I suppose you need to go faster than 85 now to experience it - probably won't ever be driving that fast.

I am also noticing the EV kicking in more often for powering up hills.  I can't say for sure if that is a change.

The new My Ford Sync update is fantastic.  Texting on my iPhone is working now.  Voice commands seem more reliable.  Ford is doing a good job now getting regular updates and fixes out.  

If the car can maintain reasonable gas mileage when it gets cold I would say it is meeting my expectations that I had when I purchased the car.  After having driven a Toyota Prius all last week (rental) I will say the C-Max is a much more pleasant ride, has more power and mileage, though somewhat less (got 50 on the Prius), is still very good. 

#179 OFFLINE   jhritz

jhritz

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Hybrid

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

I got the update today, wow!  I feel like over the past 3 months I have gotten very in tune with my car and I know just what it will do and when, and today the car felt completely different!  It's like I am driving a different car, I would even go as far as saying the engine sounds different to me.  I felt like it was more aggressive about charging the battery and using it during acceleration & cruising at higher speeds, I also felt like the battery held a higher average state of charge.  Nothing scientific about that, just my observation, but I can tell that there is a difference.  Went on two drives, a 20 mile ride to my parents house from the dealer and a 15 mile drive home, drives that I am familiar with and know what to expect for mileage and both times my mileage was better than what I had experienced before.    

Agreed. I got my update last night and the first thing I noticed is that after coming out of EV, it runs at a higher rpm for a time to regain the charge.

I drove all the way from my house to the end of the street on EV this morning.  The engine came on when I turned onto the main road.   My first trip to work was 47.6 at 67mph, no HVAC, ECO cruise on. It went it to EV several times during the journey.  It also went into High ICE mode after the recharges.  The trip back tonight will be more interesting since Dearborn is at a lower average elevation than Ann Arbor.

#180 OFFLINE   jhritz

jhritz

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Hybrid

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

I am not sure when the car will ever get into Negative Split Mode.  Before the fix I was experiencing decent mileage once Negative Split Mode was achieved - low 40's.  I suppose you need to go faster than 85 now to experience it - probably won't ever be driving that fast.

I went into Negative Split a couple of times on my trip into work. At least from what I can tell, they changed the post-EV recharge RPM a little higher. Once it gets closer to the top range of the battery capacity RPM drops and it switches to negative split. One of the other posters mentioned that you can prevent a drop into EV mode to preserve negative split by blipping the throttle to stay above the EV threshold.

I too was wondering if Negative Split would be gone with the higher EV speed limit. I generally run at 64-67 with the old update to prevent EV-only mode at highway speeds. With the new update, I may have to pick a higher sweet spot.

Edited by jhritz, 14 August 2013 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users