Oil Change Required being displayed

Last night I got the Change Oil Soon display to come up on the left screen of the dash, now it is showing Oil Change Required. I'm trying to remember how long we are allowed to drive after these displays come up? I am thinking it's 500 miles, but don't want to be steered wrong. So far have driven about 204 miles after first displaying.

I misread and made a comment, that I removed.

I have an 08 Escape Hybrid, and have gone as much as 1000 or so miles(more probably) after that has shown up. Although it was a couple years old and had a few thousand miles on it.

Edited by slampro

I misread and made a comment, that I removed.

I have an 08 Escape Hybrid, and have gone as much as 1000 or so miles(more probably) after that has shown up. Although it was a couple years old and had a few thousand miles on it.

I'm concerned about the mileage cause of the fact that for us to go to town and back is a minimum of 100 miles (minus any errands). We have the service scheduled for next Tuesday, but between now & then we have 3 trips to town & back (with each trip being about 115 miles round trip).

Don't stress.  Good long trips like your drive are actually the best/easiest for oil (gets a good warmup).   The oil monitor is a factory service recommendation not a warranty "law".  

So, how many miles did the monitor let you accrue since the last change?  

You don't have to have your oil changed by Ford.

Get it changed anywhere and keep the recept.

How many miles do you have on THIS oil?

In the future schedule your oil change before you reach this mileage.

Being the C-Max is a brand new vehicle & having had issues in the past with the likes of Jiffy Lube, we will only have the servicing done through a Ford dealer.

The scheduled service is not until 32,500, & currently sitting at 30,800, however some driving has been done on backcountry dirt roads so filters are likely clogged.

We normally do the servicing every 5,000 miles (or every 4-5months on average).

Being the C-Max is a brand new vehicle & having had issues in the past with the likes of Jiffy Lube, we will only have the servicing done through a Ford dealer.

The scheduled service is not until 32,500, & currently sitting at 30,800, however some driving has been done on backcountry dirt roads so filters are likely clogged.

Most Ford Dealers participate in the Owner's Advantage Rewards program.  You get 5% cash back for all service. https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerAdvantageRewards

You don't have to have your oil changed by Ford.

Get it changed anywhere and keep the recept.

How many miles do you have on THIS oil?

In the future schedule your oil change before you reach this mileage.

Good for you :thumbsup: .

2 quick stories

1.  My son worked for a Honda dealership, their #1 customer... Jiffy-Lube, he said they were good for at least 1 motor a month.

2.  We bought a Certified BMW, took it home and checked the oil...hhuumm oil WAY up on the dip stick.

BMW's hold 7 qts, took 14 out.

AND THAT'S WHY I DO ALL the maintenance on our cars!!!

wab

So, how many miles did the monitor let you accrue since the last change?  

It will vary depending on conditions & driving habits.

I don't think I ever saw you answer.  Curious to see how long it let you go since you do a lot of hwy driving.  

It should be a longer interval but........   a hybrid when driven "correctly" in urban cycles should get a longer interval since the ICE is used less than on the highway where it is the primary motivator.   But urban driving has more start/stop cycles and the ICE doesn't always get up to the proper temp.  Lots of variables.   Glad we have the monitor.

I thought the monitor on full hybrids merely counted 10,000 miles...

AFAICT, the manual never specifically states that.  Rather it is vague (go figure) but does say some things like this on page 371 about heavy commercial use (taxi):  Change engine oil and filter as indicated by the information display and perform services listed in the Normal Scheduled Maintenance chart. 

and this example (pg 371) indicates it can come on at non-10k intervals:

Example #1: The OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message comes on at 28751 miles (46270 kilometers); perform the 30000 mile (48000 kilometer) automatic transmission fluid replacement. 

I don't think I ever saw you answer. Curious to see how long it let you go since you do a lot of hwy driving.

It should be a longer interval but........ a hybrid when driven "correctly" in urban cycles should get a longer interval since the ICE is used less than on the highway where it is the primary motivator. But urban driving has more start/stop cycles and the ICE doesn't always get up to the proper temp. Lots of variables. Glad we have the monitor.

Last time we got the message we had about 5,000 since last change. This is only the 2nd time it's come on as we are doing the 5,000 change schedule.

This time around, it was at about the 3,000 mark when it came on, however was doing some driving on unpaved country roads with cars kicking up a lot of dust, so thinking there's some clogging of the filters.

Edited by mnrobitaille

Further reading I found the answer to the OP on page 359 of the OM:

C-MAX full hybrid vehicles are equipped with an information display which indicates the proper oil change service interval; the interval is up to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The oil life monitoring system must be reset after each oil change. See Engine oil check in the Maintenance chapter. 

So he has/had two weeks and 500 miles leeway for the original message.

Edited by fotomoto

Due to a double error, both on my part & the SA's, the installing of 13B07 & the 30,000 mile maintenance will not happen till tomorrow. I had it put in as today as that's what I heard him say initially, without double verifying it. 

While there at the dealership, I asked the SA about the Oil Change light & driving over a 1,000 miles with it lit, & he said not to worry about it as apparently there have been others in the past that have driven 10,000+ miles with it lit with no issues.

Did the 30,000 mile maintenance & installation of 13B07 & thanks to having enough credit built up, we got the servicing for free.

Found out that the dealership's servicing computers are wireless, from the SA, I mentioned Ford's recommendation about havin' all servicing computers hard wired to the Internet, & he said he'd put in that recommendation for consideration to help the dealership with updates/upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember your engine is used approximately 2/3 of the mileage, as it is in EV the other third, so when the 10K light comes on, you have added 7500 miles to the engine, if you are using full synthetic oil you could go 20K and just change the filter at 10K. Being 'right-on-time' is not necessary it's only a reminder that you may need an oil change. 

• 5 weeks later...

Seems to me it should be using an ICE hour meter instead of miles. Certainly the computer in the cmax hybrid can keep track of that. In fact it could be smart enough to calculate a better estimate. It knows the engine oil temperature. At an estimated 10000 miles at 50 mph that would be about 200 hours of engine runtime, but lets use 12000 minutes instead. Initialize the counter to 12000. For every minute of runtime with normal oil temperature step it down 1 minute. However for cold oil, step it down 2 minutes. By using statistics, after about 6000 minutes it could estimate when the next oil change will be needed.

...Being 'right-on-time' is not necessary it's only a reminder that you may need an oil change. 

What the owners manual says...

When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The oil life monitoring system must be reset after each oil change.

and shop manual...

This is what the shop manual says:

The message center provides an oil change minder to inform the driver that an oil change is required. The duration of the interval between oil changes is calculated in the PCM and varies due to driving conditions. The PCM assumes a base mileage of 16,090 km (10,000 mi) or 1 year for normal driving. However, this number is adjusted down for conditions such as high engine temperature, high engine rpm, use of flex fuel and possibly low oil level.

What I'm not finding is what happens after the DUE message turns to REQUIRED... I seem to remember something draconian, not due to actual lubrication but rather software. The car goes into a limp mode of some sort as I recall. If only for that, it's important to know the oil change reset procedure:

http://oilreset.com/blog/2013-ford-c-max-maintenance-light-reset-service/#

Have fun,

Frank