Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Oil Change Required being displayed

Oil Maintenance Warnings

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mnrobitaille

mnrobitaille

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationKahlotus, WA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 303A, Pano Roof

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Did the 30,000 mile maintenance & installation of 13B07 & thanks to having enough credit built up, we got the servicing for free.

Found out that the dealership's servicing computers are wireless, from the SA, I mentioned Ford's recommendation about havin' all servicing computers hard wired to the Internet, & he said he'd put in that recommendation for consideration to help the dealership with updates/upgrades.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Fits2at

Fits2at

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationGreenwood, Indiana
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

My "Oil Change Required" light came on at 10,250 mi. Going to the dealer tomorrow for the oil change and all the updates!!

#23 OFFLINE   Arthur

Arthur

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Remember your engine is used approximately 2/3 of the mileage, as it is in EV the other third, so when the 10K light comes on, you have added 7500 miles to the engine, if you are using full synthetic oil you could go 20K and just change the filter at 10K. Being 'right-on-time' is not necessary it's only a reminder that you may need an oil change. 

#24 OFFLINE   dluck

dluck

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Locationsfba
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max se

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Seems to me it should be using an ICE hour meter instead of miles. Certainly the computer in the cmax hybrid can keep track of that. In fact it could be smart enough to calculate a better estimate. It knows the engine oil temperature. At an estimated 10000 miles at 50 mph that would be about 200 hours of engine runtime, but lets use 12000 minutes instead. Initialize the counter to 12000. For every minute of runtime with normal oil temperature step it down 1 minute. However for cold oil, step it down 2 minutes. By using statistics, after about 6000 minutes it could estimate when the next oil change will be needed.

#25 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

...Being 'right-on-time' is not necessary it's only a reminder that you may need an oil change. 

What the owners manual says...

When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The oil life monitoring system must be reset after each oil change.

and shop manual...

This is what the shop manual says:

The message center provides an oil change minder to inform the driver that an oil change is required. The duration of the interval between oil changes is calculated in the PCM and varies due to driving conditions. The PCM assumes a base mileage of 16,090 km (10,000 mi) or 1 year for normal driving. However, this number is adjusted down for conditions such as high engine temperature, high engine rpm, use of flex fuel and possibly low oil level.

What I'm not finding is what happens after the DUE message turns to REQUIRED... I seem to remember something draconian, not due to actual lubrication but rather software. The car goes into a limp mode of some sort as I recall. If only for that, it's important to know the oil change reset procedure:

http://oilreset.com/...-reset-service/#

Have fun,

Frank

#26 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

Didn't experience any performance issues when I received the REQUIRED message, just the annoying pop-up at every engine start.  I did not reset the monitor at the previous oil change and the message appeared at 9,850 miles from the last reset, even though I had driven less than 5,000 since the last change.  I figure it merely counts 10,000 from the last reset.

#27 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

My C-MAX now has about 5,800+ miles on it.  I just came back from a trip that involved a lot of mountain driving, Downhill Assist driving, and the like.  So, I decided to do The Works.  Just got back from the service.

I asked my SA if the technician reset the monitor.  I was told that it had been reset, but, just to make sure, I reset it again before leaving the dealership.

#28 OFFLINE   mnrobitaille

mnrobitaille

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts
  • LocationKahlotus, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 303A, Pano Roof

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

My C-MAX now has about 5,800+ miles on it.  I just came back from a trip that involved a lot of mountain driving, Downhill Assist driving, and the like.  So, I decided to do The Works.  Just got back from the service.

I asked my SA if the technician reset the monitor.  I was told that it had been reset, but, just to make sure, I reset it again before leaving the dealership.

At least it's very easy to reset.

#29 OFFLINE   boilermax

boilermax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Good for you :thumbsup: .

2 quick stories

1.  My son worked for a Honda dealership, their #1 customer... Jiffy-Lube, he said they were good for at least 1 motor a month.

2.  We bought a Certified BMW, took it home and checked the oil...hhuumm oil WAY up on the dip stick.

BMW's hold 7 qts, took 14 out.

AND THAT'S WHY I DO ALL the maintenance on our cars!!!

wab

Another story:

One of the Ford dealers in my town was caught under-filling all oil changes by one quart.  It's not much per change, but when you do thousands of oil changes a year it adds up to a nice piece of change!

AND THAT'S WHY I DO ALL the maintenance on our cars!!!

• JAZ and wab like this

#30 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

I -wish- mine would say "Soon" - it always says "Required" and catches me off guard.  Last few times it was close to 10K but I guess because of the extra hot summer and the fact that I was driving and idling the car more than usual with the AC on I got an extra early warning this time..  It's an electric AC compressor but the engine still works harder. 

My commute to work is only about 20 minutes so that probably doesn't help, although in the mornings I can almost coast to work 65-75F - 50MPG, afternoons have been brutal with the temps in the 90's - 34-40MPG..

Might've been 3K this time since my last change - I'll have to check my last service receipt with the actual mileage.

Edited by jestevens, 09 September 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,151 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

I just reset oil change reminder and went another 10K miles. I figured only used ICE 50% of the time. :)  Had my oil checked by BlackStone Labs and they said it was fine, I'm using Mobil 1 so I'm going 30K this time. I have 136k miles so far on my CMAX.

Paul

#32 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

Mine should be going off soon, i believe it changed was at 29K, just a little over 39K now. :)

#33 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,151 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

Mine should be going off soon, i believe it changed was at 29K, just a little over 39K now. :)

OM has instructions on resetting the oil change reminder. :) It's pretty easy.

Paul

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oil, Maintenance, Warnings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·