Huge MPG Discrepancy

PapaJ

Yes - I think you put your finger on it - it has become a game for my wife - she's always checking out the avg MPG and she loves the vine/leaves (I don't, but to each his own).  Also, we both always LOL whenever I fill up the car (she is afraid, so I always have to do it).  I tell her I filled up the car and show her the receipt, and on the most recent fill-up for 2 weeks driving (about 275 miles) it came to....a...whopping...$21.00!!!

:lol:     :lol2:     :hi5:    You guys are hilarious!  

My husband and I have made our mpg into a little game.  We try to outdo each other all the time.  I drive most of the time  :shift:  and he loves  :love_shower:  it because he doesn't have to drive.  But when he drives he gives me some stiff competition.  

i have a feeling i will be in the same boat. when we get the cmax for my wife cutie75, i know it will be a battle to try and steal the keys away from her for a while.and i know after a while of driving a hybrid i **will** want one for myself. already do now. :wub2:

Spouses are trainable. :lol2: My husband tries really hard when he drives my car and he's done a great job learning about hybrid driving. :hi5: Now he wants one for himself. 

the one with the worst FE on a longer trip should have to wash the car for the other person. ;)

:lol:     :lol2:     :hi5:    You guys are hilarious!  

My husband and I have made our mpg into a little game.  We try to outdo each other all the time.  I drive most of the time  :shift:  and he loves  :love_shower:  it because he doesn't have to drive.  But when he drives he gives me some stiff competition.  

I must say after 28 years, my 'Silence' is deafening to my wife. The silent treatment meets the test of not fueling the 'aggressive negotiations' between man and wife to a downspiral, yet let's my wife I care deeply about the subject matter. AND I don't agree with her position.

Hey I'm no marriage counselor. Works for me.

She doesn't drive my C-Max.... :)

Mark

OK, really need some help here:

When I drive the C-Max the car gets about 45 MPG, but when my wife is behind the wheel the milage drops into the low 30s! My goal is to have a happy wife AND 45 MPG -- any advice on this subject? ;)

Does this article help?  My philosophy after 4-1/2 years of dating and then 34 years of wondrous marriage, " Don't sweat the small stuff".  http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/mpg-is-stupid.html?mktcat=nl-internal_standard&kw=industry_article219&mktid=nl61539723   :love_shower:

I read this article the other day.  And, for the most part, I agree with the author.  10% doesn't sound like much, but being off almost 5 MPG sounds big!  On the other hand, if my car was rated at 20 and only got 18 (the same 10%), well, 2 MPG isn't much.  Is it?

And I do look at my cost per mile (currently $0.079/mile).  But what the author does not point out, is that cost/mile changes with fuel costs.  Whereas, MPG does not change with the price of fuel.  So if fuel goes up 10%, my cost/mile will go up the same 10%, which has NOTHING to do with the vehicles fuel economy.

For example.  For the month of February my fuel economy averaged 39.6 MPG for the month and my cost/mile was $0.090.  For July, my average fuel economy was 46.0 MPG and my cost/mile was $0.074.  Comparing the two, Fuel economy was up 16.34% but my cost/mile was down 17.64%.  How can that be?  Well the average cost of a gallon of gas was down 4.15% from February ($3.557) to July ($3.409).  So cost/mile does not tell the whole story on fuel economy.

And yes, I am an engineer.  :doh:

Does this article help?  My philosophy after 4-1/2 years of dating and then 34 years of wondrous marriage, " Don't sweat the small stuff".  http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/mpg-is-stupid.html?mktcat=nl-internal_standard&kw=industry_article219&mktid=nl61539723   :love_shower:

• 3 weeks later...