2014 Ford C-max Hybrid!!!

Seth7721

You may very well be correct Hannah. Certainly, after the fiasco with the MPG rating on the 2013MY straight hybrid version, Ford will be extremely cautious with the claimed mileage rating on the 2014 model. They may want to make absolutely certain that all possible aerodynamic and software related enhancements have been made before actually building any. An awful lot rides on beating Toyota's Prius figures.. since public opinion is hard to change.

Good eye, I didn't notice that it was an Energi.  Realistically though, adding the minor aero features as a refresh for both 2014 Energi and hybrid would make sense it would make production easier.  They wouldn't have to worry about only putting this part on an Energi or another part on a hybrid, on a body that is probably exactly the same on the outside.  Plus, it would reduce the amount of parts they need to stock if they are using the same parts for both models.

Hello everyone, I went back to Frontier Ford this afternoon and took some pics from under the front bumper of the air deflectors which are in front of all four tires.  Below are some pics.  I checked out the front hood seal by probing my hand under the hood since I wasn't able to see it with the hood open.  But first impression is that it seems allot more closed off and taller than on a 2013, the space under the front edge of the hood seems less open if that makes any sense?  Sorry not sure how else to express it.  The front deflectors are a molded black plastic mounted to the under carriage covering just in front of the rubber deflectors that all 2013'sIMG_0905_zpsf091ba55.jpgIMG_0903_zpse9f4e9d7.jpg

came with.  The rears are just in front of the rear tires.  I'm not convinced these will help much. I wonder how noticeable the gearing changes are in the transmission?  I might need to take a test drive.

Edited by mtb9153

Thanks for the pictures!  I wonder how those are attached and if they can be easily retro fitted to 2013 models.  Overall with the aero changes that are visible, I doubt they'll help much if at all for high speed driving.  If there are any improvements it will probably come from the transmission changes.

You can get the VIN's from the Frontier Ford web site.

REALLY! I didn't know that, thanks, I learned something today.  I guess who ever mention it in an earlier thread that I should get the VIN # could do the same thing from any location?  Have internet...will travel so to speak.

I talked to Nick Prince of Sandy Springs Ford and he said they had one so I went and looked at it. I took pics of it, but Brother Mike has already posted them, the CMAX Energi didn't have the air dams in the front but in the back. I took pics of ICE compartment too. I need to compare  it to mine. If I was going to buy a new one I think I would save money with a 2013.IMO :)

Paul

Went to the Sillycorn Valley International Car Show today which is running through Sunday at the San Jose Convention Center.  As the wife and I came up the escalator and through the doors to the main convention hall I saw a CMax Engeri in Ingot Silver and directly behind  it was a Ruby Red Hybrid. Both 2013 cars.  There was quite a bit of attention to both cars with people getting in and checking out the interior.  Nice to see Ford doing a good showing.  Answered some questions for curious on-lookers, I was giving out more info than any of the personal working in the Ford area.  Talked with one worker and he wasn't a Ford employee, just a worker who follows the car show circuit.  So glad a true owner was there to give clear answers.

Ok, so I PMed Ashley about the 2014 aero enhancements and whether they would be available for the 2013, including the new engine oil.

This is what I asked:

Some other questions: with the 2014 body changes, are these aero components available for integration into the 2013 models? Also, the 2014 will use a higher and more efficient engine oil. Will this standard be applied to the 2013 CMax to use the better oil in the 2014?

Ford response: We cannot recommend doing any modifications to the 2013 models. The changes for the 2014 is unique to 2014 and should not be applied to a 2013. This includes the aerodynamic changes and the engine oil changes. The 2013 was not designed to work with these changes.

Firstly, I want to thank Ashley for directing my question to the Ford group - its a question that is on EVERY 2013 owner's mind.

Although the response is not what we want to hear, all I am going to say is "who knows"...and I bring you this example from this time LAST YEAR, as we were just about hearing the Irvine meeting with the Ford Engineers and us CMax owners were wondering if this 62mph EV could be unleashed. When I talked to the engineers, it was a SOLID "No" - "Not possible" ...and then....13b07 - wallah - the EV threshold is gone.

Yes, pressure from the Execs above on the MPG issue helped alot to overcome this engineering road block. So all I am jus sayin' is that these aero mods and oil may not be recommended at this moment in time....but don't discount that it may be open in the future...if any lesson is to be learnt from the 62mph EV threshold & 13b07.

Of course, I doubt if this post / Ford response will stop any owners here from trying.... ;)

...not that I am inciting any rebellion among the Legions  :drool:

Brother Jus I for one will push for the incorporation of the 2014 changes to our 2013 models.  It is only right that we should be able to benefit from them and not be excluded just because we bought the first generation CMax.  If nothing else I think Ford should offer them to us because we pioneered and brought to light the weaknesses they produced into the 2013.  Test mule's so to speak.

Frontier Ford in CA website lists six (6) 2014 C-Max Energi's in stock…no 2014 Hybrid's. Hopefully the changes also apply to the Hybrid model.

Really! they must be hiding the other 2014's in a nearby parking garage that I can't as easily walk into like the one I've been shooting pics from which is out in an open air parking lot across the street from their main sales/service complex.

Frontier Ford in CA website lists six (6) 2014 C-Max Energi's in stock…no 2014 Hybrid's. Hopefully the changes also apply to the Hybrid model.

Thanks for that info, btw it is an impressive but sad sight to see 20+ CMax Hybrids and Energi's sitting in a long row waiting for new homes.  If I had the money I would certainly buy an Energi to sit besides my Hybrid (Maxus) in the garage.  I am that sold on the one I have.

Brother Jus I for one will push for the incorporation of the 2014 changes to our 2013 models.  It is only right that we should be able to benefit from them and not be excluded just because we bought the first generation CMax.  If nothing else I think Ford should offer them to us because we pioneered and brought to light the weaknesses they produced into the 2013.  Test mule's so to speak.

Brother Mike, I agree....however, here's the deal though - how much are you willing to now pay for a 2-4 MPG (if that) improvement since these parts (especially the aero molded parts around the wheel and under the car), I presume will not exactly be cheap (I don't think)? The engine oil is do-able though but unless Ford allows it, you run the risk of voiding your warranty (I presume since this is untested waters).

Brother Mike, I agree....however, here's the deal though - how much are you willing to now pay for a 2-4 MPG (if that) improvement since these parts (especially the aero molded parts around the wheel and under the car), I presume will not exactly be cheap (I don't think)? The engine oil is do-able though but unless Ford allows it, you run the risk of voiding your warranty (I presume since this is untested waters).

Hummmmm brother Jus, point taken since Ford does not approve these changes for the 2013 models.  I'm still working on my first extended warranty with another to back it up when the first runs out.  Given these beastie's are expensive to repair outside the warranty, I wouldn't want to jeopardize my coverage which I dearly paid for.  I'm sure those plastic bumps underneath the body will not be cheap.  Experience tells me that molded parts aren't cheap since they want to recoup tooling costs at the very least. 

Probably Ford answered "no" to the '13 s getting '14 improvements since there is not much gain in saying "yes." They don't want to pay to modify '13s since the EPA numbers on a '13 are now history. They want '14s to sell now, and the leftover '13s are what they are. The gain for Ford is for the '14s to have better EPA numbers…plays well in the market…continuous improvement. Concerned '13 owners, in Ford's view maybe, should consider buying a '14. Lotta money for a mile or two improvement. Add some other features like Adaptive cruise, Lane departure warning, real Blind spot indicators…and I'll buy that version. Add a factory Shark Fin as well... 

With the changes in the transmission ratios and the aerodynamics mods, I suspect Ford is going for improved highway and less city.  So I would not be surprised to see city down 2 mph and highway up 3 or 4 with real mileage at 70 mph up even more.

PS: I am thinking about making a cheap set of the wings on the windows out of silicone rubber caulking.

Edited by obob