Some jerk hit our car in a parking lot!

CarpeNivem

My wife was at a nearby park, enjoying her day, while our beautiful new CMax was minding its own business in the parking lot, until someone ran into it, destroyed our front bumper, and then left!  :swear:

I'm so angry that whoever did it just took off. You gotta take responsibility for stuff like this, ya know? I realize it's just a car, the damage is only cosmetic, no one was hurt, and it'll all get fixed eventually, but dammit, NOT COOL, anonymous stranger. Not cool! The nerve! The self-entitlement! 

Ugh, I've tried to cool down, and I've edited this post accordingly, because maybe my anger was too strong and too petty before. It actually upset me just how ugly I let this incident make me. I know that I need to calm down, get the car fixed, and move on. There are more important things in life to worry about than paint. And deep down, I really do know that. But...  :sad: ...it's really pretty paint.

Edited by CarpeNivem

So So very sorry this happened, I have nightmares about it happening to my Maxus.  If it makes you feel any better, repainting has come along way in recent years.  I had a black S-10 pickup and I put a new hood on it with a built-in cowl induction hood scoop.  The shop was able to match it perfectly, they use a hand scan electronic tool which took a reading of the paint on adjacent metal panels and were able to mix the paint so it blended perfectly.  I know it will always haunt you that your baby was violated and is damaged goods now, but try to get past that.  It will be as good as new in no time.

Edited by mtb9153

I'm sorry your Max got damaged.  I park all the way at the back of parking lots too Rachelnla.  You never know though.  My husband parked his brand new Jag years ago far far away from the other cars in a lot and when he came back to his car he had a ding in the door. 

...another Jag owner, huh :thumbsup:

My wifey laughed at me for parking away and said something similar to what happened to your Jag. I still keep Maxine away, jus in case.  We have the worst drivers here in Los Angeles, many with no license and insurance (wonder why...) and we are the hit run capital.  Not good. 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I'm sorry your Max got damaged.  I park all the way at the back of parking lots too Rachelnla.  You never know though.  My husband parked his brand new Jag years ago far far away from the other cars in a lot and when he came back to his car he had a ding in the door. 

A couple of months ago a friend got her new (to her) Lexus backed into in a parking lot. The CCTV at the business picked up the accident.

About the same time I was in a parking lot (in my C-Max), getting ready to leave, and I heard a BANG. The guy next to me had opened his door right into mine. Oddly enough, he hit the handle and didn't do any damage. It was just really loud. The guy just started his car, waved, and drove off. I muttered several choice words not fit for repeating in this venue.

Now that you mention it JulieB I was parked at a convenience store right by the front entrance sitting in my car waiting for my husband when the passenger of the car beside me opened her door right into my side mirror.  The mirrors must be pretty because it didn't make a mark on mine either.  Afterwards the driver came out and said she was sorry.  My husband just read this post as I was typing and "You know what they say about that?  Shi.....happens!  :lol2:

Edited by C-Maxgo

Some idiots, especially those driving "beaters" are just thoughtless ignorant imbeciles and really don`t (ding) others peoples Vehicles deliberately. Just throw their Cars doors open until it cant open any further.  If it happens to come in contact with another vehicle, oh well.  I remember years ago when I was in my 20`s I had a brand new car, was on a Date and was just parking in the Movie Theatre`s Lot.  Someone with a fairly new Car parked close to mine and threw open his Car door and put a good size (ding) into my drivers door.  He exited his Vehicle did`nt say a word.  I immediately got out of my car examined the damage and before the other Driver walked away, I kicked the heel of my shoe into his Drivers door so hard it caved it in.  I was ready for a fight, jail, the hospital or all of the above.  In the moment, rage rules!  Now, in Florida with its Stand Your Ground Law and most people "armed", probably would have resulted in a homicide.

To be clear, someone didn't hit us with their door; they hit us with their entire car. They rammed right into us. Our front bumper required considerable repair. The fog light filler panel (whatever it's called) needed to be replaced, as did some other (probably aerodynamic?) black piece underneath the bumper.

The CMax been in the shop since last Thursday, while we were out of town. We'll be picking it up later today, presumably good as new.

But, yeah, this was not a door ding. This was not caused by someone parking too close and opening their door too hard. I know the headline implies that, because that's the most popular meaning of "someone hit us in a parking lot", but like I said, just to be clear, this was caused by someone literally driving their car into ours.

Oh, and sadly, no, there are not any cameras at the park. It's just a public park, not a business. There's not even anywhere really to put a camera. :(

• 1 month later...

CapeNivem;  I feel your pain!  Well, I hope its not an "omen" or a sign of things to come but so far my new C-MAX, not 2 months old has been both drowned in rain water from all 4 windows being left open overnight in its first 2 weeks of ownership and a few days ago, the rear left bumper corner smashed in and left bottom of rear hatch door dented after the "Mrs" back up allegedly at (1 or 2 mph) after hitting a cement abutment lighting fixture in a parking lot.  Brought "Maxie" to my expert Collision Shop and he replaced the rear bumper, repainted it, added the acrylic applique bumper protector and removed the (dent) from the lower left corner of the Rear Hatch Door.  She paid the $1300 cash out of pocket to avoid the Auto Insurance surcharge and I have to admit, the Auto Body guy did a great job.  He did a very close paint match with a very difficult Paint Color, Ice Storm.  I can slightly see the difference, depending on the lighting conditions but its as good as I can expect.  Funny, some cars you can drive 5 years and never have a parking lot ding and others are destined to be subjected to constant trauma.  Hope our new "Maxie" has it all behind her now!  He warned me that future "Bumper" scratches are possible as the "Factory" paint and Clear Coat is harder and impossible to duplicate after original production.

mtb9153:  Guess thats what separates us Dog Lovers and Car Nuts from the rest of the pack.  I know everything has to be put into prospective & context to some degree but its still aggravating.  I once purchased a new Chevy Cavalier RS Wagon in the Mid-80`s that was a special factory order.  When it arrived, one side of the entire Vehicle had "orange peel" paint so bad, that the Dealership had to repaint the whole right side.  When I refused to accept delivery of a "new" Vehicle that needed to be re-painted before delivery, the General manager said I was being ridiculous.  He said a quick trip to their Body Shop for (touch-up) was no different then a Woman taking off and re-applying (make-up).  I begged to differ.  I said first, I was`nt a Woman a did`nt wear (make-up) and secondly I was purchasing  a (new) Virgin car, not buying a used clunker from a Buy Here/ Pay Here sled lot.  Needless to say, we went to War over my Deposit and I bought another Vehicle elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

We always have our dash cam running in park mode to capture just such an event.

http://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr500gw-hd/

Got the same dashcam yesterday - is great! Also got the Power Magic Pro to run in parking mode, but am hitting a brick wall when it comes to installing the Power Magic. From what I can tell, the 12V in the trunk is always live, but unsure which fuse(s) in the passenger compartment panel are live to install the Power Magic to prevent the possibility of draining the battery. Are you running yours from the rear 12V or the fuses with one of these?

• 2 weeks later...

What's worse than d-bags who open their car doors into yours?

D-bags who think it's ok to bump their way into parallel parking spaces;

From the Wired.com article; 

Mr. Know-It-All: Is Automated Parallel Parking a Menace to Masculinity? 

"

here's some serious douche-baggery in the comments section (so while in polite civilized society, yes, door dings are nothing to fight over, we do understand your anger at someone damaging your car and then not even taking responsibility for it- these people are FIGHTING mad over a door ding, basically the same thing with even less damage); 

Dalai  endus 
  •  
  •  

Agreed. Parallel parking is roughly as difficult as tying your shoelaces. My nephew demonstrated how to do it into a space shorter than the car itself.

Impossible you say? Nope. Cars have bumpers which give several inches with zero damage. With a quick drop in and then several back and forth wheel swings you can parallel park a car in a space smaller than the car itself. No damage to either car.

If you can do that in under 60 seconds anybody can learn in a normal space with unlimited time. Just a simple skill to learn like a thousand others.

•  

endus  Dalai 
    •  
    •  

I like that you know how to parallel park, but if I came back to my car and found you parked touching my bumper you would need to have a tow truck come and get your car. I'm not saying I'd damage it, but 4 tire deflation is an absolute minimum. Don't ever do that in real life.

•  

Proteus  Dalai 
    •  
    •  

I saw a video on this (all cars privately owned). It shows how little room is needed to parallel park without touching any car....like 6 inches or less is actually quite possible.

•  

Magnum Opus  Proteus 
      •  
      •  

Yea, if you get your angle of approach correct within a very small margin of error, then make your corrections accordingly, sure.

You are suppose to be able to parallel park in one move from reverse. Amateurs need to pull up in drive to straighten the vehicle up to within 6 inches(legal) from the curb.

•  

zieroh  Dalai 
    •  
    •  

You and your nephew are d-bags.

•  

Magnum Opus  Dalai 
    •  
    •  

If you can do that in under 60 seconds anybody can learn in a normal 
    space with unlimited time. Just a simple skill to learn like a thousand 
    others.

Unbelievable!

•  

Magnum Opus  Dalai 
    •  
    •  

Tell your nephew to stay his ass in New Delhi where that s#!t is tolerated. Here in the US you will get shot doing dumb sh*t like that. All my cars have solid chrome bumpers and steel pipes ready to blow!

•  
    Force Meow If you think it's ok to bump my thousands of dollars car to fit your sh*tbox into a parking space

(that you admitted you were aware is too small before ever starting hence the need for your douchebag ingenuity- how about putting that ingenuity to some positive use instead of figuring out how to be a bigger arrogant dick with no regard for others),

I can only hope the savage beating you will inevitably eventually receive for doing it will convince you otherwise.

A**hole.

•  

Dalai  Force Meow 
      •  
      •  

The demo was with 3 cars WE owned. NO DAMAGE to any car AS I WROTE.

Did you think we just stumbled upon spaces which just happened to be 3 inches smaller than the car we were parking?

Reading skills, genius, reading skills.

•  

Force Meow  Dalai 
        •  
        •  

Reading skills my a** Douchebag- You're only now stating they were all your cars (which I doubt) in a desperate bid to absolve or convince yourself you and your nephew are not a**holes.

Which, even if they are all your cars, you're both still assholes. Here's why;

Prove me wrong, post a video.

And make sure it's HIGH DEFINITION so we can see all the little nicks and scratches on your plastic bumper covers from your douchey driving.

I've seen people like you who think that's no big deal or inevitable, that nicks and scratches "don't count" or I don't know what the hell you think, (that unless there's a BIG DENT it's not "damaged"- you people baffle me, I consider your BRAIN:DAMAGED) but it's NOT inevitable, aaaaand;

You're still a**holes for encouraging this behavior.

• Dalai  Force Meow 
          •  
          •  

LOL!!!!! Right, we just drove and drove and drove around measuring spaces until we found one exactly 3 inches smaller than the car to be parked!

Let me guess, you run the logic department at a prestigious university....maybe Harvard or MIT?

•  
      •  

Ahh the memories! Speaking of savage a** beatings. I've seen more than my fair share of them due to skill-less bastards bumping cars trying to do just what you've described. Which is why I prefer to park as far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay from green hurried a-holes as possible then walking the remaining distance to my destination.

I also have front and rear cameras recording even while the car is parked, and am considering left and right side, cheap HD cams can be had for as little as $37... They probably wouldn't register a door ding as an "event" though, which would mean having to check each time you parked the playback, and I'm just not gonna do that... maybe that could be a feature of future Fords?