Fotomoto's Free DRL Mod

For CMaxes with Auto-Lights.

Get a couple of pieces of solid tape (non-transparent, black is best).

null_zpsd81728d2.jpg

Place tape over sensor at the front of the dash.  I did a better job of this once I determined it worked.  It's a long reach!

null_zpsbb1df26f.jpg

Select "Auto" on the light control and leave on:

null_zps3ebb1037.jpg

When car is powered on, headlights will now come on and they will power down when the car is powered off (time according to settings).

null_zpsfe762186.jpg

null_zps8280ce8f.jpg

NOTE:  dash lights will be dimmer during the day but still easily viewable.

Edited by fotomoto

Thanks for the photos of the DIY tape option. I'm still using a mitten placed over the sensor, as I want the mod to be easily removable, so if and when I have electrical issues, I can put the car back as delivered with no sticky residue. I thought about using gaffer's tape, which leaves no residue or a custom plastic cover but haven't yet done so.

I just asked my SA to use the Ford IDS tool to enable the DRL option. They marked it on the invoice with a charge of $23 and then another line read Customer Satisfaction -$23. Free mod for me :rockon:

Next time we take Neytiri in for an oil change I'll have to ask about having this done.

Has there been any FE changes after doing this?

Edited by mnrobitaille

AS someone who has been able to get my 2013 Ford C-MAX Daytime Running Lights enabled/activated, like I Posted before, my Selling Dealership Service Manager tried to activate the DRL`s using the IDS Programmer and the Body Control Module (BDC) and simply was unable to do so.  A second Ford Dealership  over a 100 miles away and closer to where I live attempted to do the Trick too but was un-successful.  They sent me a email containing a pdf file from Ford Technical  Support to the Service Department that the Body Control Module that is accessed through the IDS Programmer can (no longer) change the exterior light configuration to enable/activate DRL`s on U.S. Ford Vehicles.  Only U.S. Spec Vehicles that are Fleet Ordered requiring a valid "FIN" can be equipped with the DRL Option as well as Vehicles destined to be sold and registered in Canada where DRL`s are required by Canadian Law.  Any attempt to change the original factory parameters might be in violation of the Federal Safety Standards Act as well!  Wonder why U.S. Fleet ordered Ford Vehicles that were ordered with Daytime Running Lights Option # 942 for $45 would not be in Violation of the same statute?  Finally, I took my C-MAX to a third Ford Dealership and was told to leave my Vehicle there for a few hours and for a flat rate of a $100 Labor Charge, they would activate the DRL`s.  Came back, paid the Cashier the $100 and as they saying goes, "Let there be Light"!  They pulled the so called Rabbit out of the Magic Hat, Mission Accomplished.  Mind you, my  C-MAX SE does (not) have the Automatic Headlamp Sensor so there was no "taping" over the dash component to cause the Headlamps to go on during the daytime at reduced 80% illumination while the rear tail lamps stay off and only illuminate when brake petal is applied during the daytime.  Since I would have gladly paid the $45 if I could have ordered the DRL`s as a Retail Purchase, I was`nt overly concerned that I had to pay $100 to have the DRL enabled/activated although I know it took less then 15 minutes as I watched another Ford Dealership activate the DRL`s on my previous 2011 Fiesta SE Hatchback when it was first purchased back in July of 2010.  Different Body Control Module?  Different IDS Programmer?  Different Software or "Patch"?  Who knows, another Story for "Unsolved Mysteries"!

PS:  After DRL`s were activated, no change in FE.  The energy required to run DRL`s account for a fraction of .25 MPG. Good luck but be prepared for a fight to get them activated!

Edited by Phil1336

Most late model Vehicles regardless if they have the (very) necessary Automatic Headlamp feature are now wired so that in case you forget to shut your headlamps off or the (automatic) sensor fails to shut them off, they automatically turn off once the Car is parked and keys are removed from the ignition switch.  Attempting to jimmy-rig Daytime Running Lights by taping over the Automatic Headlamp sensor is foolish.  If you want DRL`s then just demand and bitch until your Dealerships accommodates you and enables/activates yours.  Doing it with bypassing the Automatic Headlamp feature does not reduce the daytime illumination and glare for the Headlamps as true DRL`s do at 75% output nor changes the Tail Lamps from being on during the daytime .  Since there is no "Headlamps On" indicator displayed, caution must be used because at night, you could forget to turn on regular Headlamps since DRL`s will automatically come on but leave you with reduced illumination Head Lamp output and (no) Tail Lamps.  That truly is "redonkulous"!

Most late model Vehicles regardless if they have the (very) necessary Automatic Headlamp feature are now wired so that in case you forget to shut your headlamps off or the (automatic) sensor fails to shut them off, they automatically turn off once the Car is parked and keys are removed from the ignition switch.  Attempting to jimmy-rig Daytime Running Lights by taping over the Automatic Headlamp sensor is foolish.  If you want DRL`s then just demand and bitch until your Dealerships accommodates you and enables/activates yours.  

Since the late 70's to the present, I've owned motorcycles that have had, by law, full headlights/brakelights upon keying on and have benefited from their safety.   There is nothing "foolish" about it nor detrimental to the vehicle's operation.

My 2010 Prius, truly a state of the art car, didn't have DRL's.   It did have auto lamps but you could still burn down the 12v if you turned the headlights on while the car was powered off.  

The next time I visit a dealership, I will certainly ask if DRL's can be turned on but I won't "demand" a feature that wasn't promised, advertised, nor legally required when I purchased it.  

Since the late 70's to the present, I've owned motorcycles that have had, by law, full headlights/brakelights upon keying on and have benefited from their safety.   There is nothing "foolish" about it nor detrimental to the vehicle's operation.

My 2010 Prius, truly a state of the art car, didn't have DRL's.   It did have auto lamps but you could still burn down the 12v if you turned the headlights on while the car was powered off.  

The next time I visit a dealership, I will certainly ask if DRL's can be turned on but I won't "demand" a feature that wasn't promised, advertised, nor legally required when I purchased it.  

I agree with you on the safety issue that automatic DRL`s offers both Motorcycles as well as Automobiles to be recognized more readily during sunny or twilight conditions.  Other then Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, and Nissan, any other Auto Manufacturer that sells Cars in the U.S. not offer DRL`s as either Standard Equipment or at the very least as an add on option like Chrysler does? Ford only allows DRL`s to be an option for Fleet Purchase Only, Option #942 for $45. requiring a valid "FIN".  Daytime Running Lights are only included as standard equipment for Vehicles destined or to be registered in Canada where they are required by Law.  Let me know what you Dealership says, it took me three attempts before I got it done.  Redunkulous!

• 1 month later...

Thanks, fotomoto.  I made one change to your instructions - no need for tape that you can see.

The light sensor is covered by a dome (the part you can see) which has spring-clips on each side.  You can remove the dome cover (and the sensor) by prying a fingernail under it.  After you have removed it, you will see a gap between the dome and the sensor and you can put black construction paper between these (you may need to fold the paper a few times to make it dark enough).  Test it first (in daylight) by setting the lights to AUTO and turning the car on.  If the lights remain on, then it works and you can snap the dome/sensor back in. 

Now you have "Daytime Running Lamps" permanently activated.  If you are a Canadian importing a USA car into Canada, you will now pass the federal and provincial inspections that require that DRL is activated.  This is important because neither the dealer in the USA or in Canada was able to activate DRL, and the 3rd party module which they had available for $400 plus labor (and gets spliced into the wiring) was not even guaranteed to work because of some changes in the way the ground works on the car.

The only difference between this technique and factory-DRL is that the lights will be at full power and the running lights will be on as well.  In factory-DRL the lights are on at about 60% and the running lights are off.

Good luck!

Keywords: 2013 Ford C-MAX Energi DRL daytime running lights lamps activation free Canada USA import inspections RIV