Windows opened by themselves

METROMAN

It is very easy to mash the button without knowing it which is a little puzzling as when you want to roll them down when you are walking up to the car, you have to hold the button for awhile for it to work.  But for sure mine have gone down when I leaned against a fence rail while standing by the car with the fob in my pocket against the rail.

• 4 months later...

It looks like the dealer can disable the global open feature according to this OASIS broadcast message:

Jan 08 2014 4488 -2013 CMAX Disable All Windows Open (Global Open)

Some customers may not want the Global Open Feature; which enables them to open all the vehicle windows by pressing and holding "unlock" button on the RKE transmitter. Global Open can be disabled using the IDS tool(version 88.01). Using IDS select Tool Box / Module Programming / Programmable Parameters / Car Configuration Parameter(s). Select Vehicle Configuration, Select Retrieve the Vehicle Configuration Data, Select Modify and Reinstate Vehicle Configuration Data, Select Global Open/Close, Select Global Open/Close Disabled. Performing this procedure is not a warrantable condition. 

It would be nice if this could be enabled or disabled by the owner.

• 1 month later...

It looks like the dealer can disable the global open feature according to this OASIS broadcast message:

Jan 08 2014 4488 -2013 CMAX Disable All Windows Open (Global Open)

Some customers may not want the Global Open Feature; which enables them to open all the vehicle windows by pressing and holding "unlock" button on the RKE transmitter. Global Open can be disabled using the IDS tool(version 88.01). Using IDS select Tool Box / Module Programming / Programmable Parameters / Car Configuration Parameter(s). Select Vehicle Configuration, Select Retrieve the Vehicle Configuration Data, Select Modify and Reinstate Vehicle Configuration Data, Select Global Open/Close, Select Global Open/Close Disabled. Performing this procedure is not a warrantable condition. 

It would be nice if this could be enabled or disabled by the owner.

Got the Global Open disabled today with the technician following these instructions. He said he had done a couple of Fusions, but not a CMax and that the procedure is different on them. He remarked that when venturing into the menu system, the vehicle configuration showed the option as not installed. He had to back out a step then go back in before the disable option became available. Thank you to Ray at Bill Colwell Ford. Maybe I can use this as my servicing dealer without all of the grief I had in the past. Maybe.

David

• 9 months later...

This guy seems to be able to both open and close all of his windows by holding down the unlock or lock button for five seconds a second time.

Judging solely by his accent, I'm going to guess that is a Euro-spec CMax.  Cars built for other markets can and do have different features.  

And WELCOME to the site!   :happy feet:

Edited by fotomoto

This guy seems to be able to both open and close all of his windows by holding down the unlock or lock button for five seconds a second time.

I wasn't able to close them the way he did, but I was able to open them!

Judging solely by his accent, I'm going to guess that is a Euro-spec CMax.  Cars built for other markets can and do have different features.  

And WELCOME to the site!   :happy feet:

Welcome to the forum, Sixfoottallgirl!

My name is Tricia, and I’m your U.S. Ford Customer Service rep.  I’ll be here to assist if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Yes, fotomoto is correct. Not all vehicles will have this feature.

Is your C-Max a 2013 also? If so, I'll look into this further for you.

Have a great day!  :) 

Tricia

Hi All, and Hi Tricia--

Yes mine is also an American 2013.  One day, though, the windows did seem to open on their own.  I don't think I was anywhere near the controller when they went down...  :(

Sixfoottallgirl,

If this symptom persists, I recommend taking your vehicle to a Ford Dealer to be diagnosed. Also, what’s the current mileage?

Once this info is received, I can check out available options to assist on my end. 

Are you inquiring if your vehicle has the ability to make all windows go back up? If so, I’ll be happy to do some research.

Have a great weekend!  :) 

Tricia

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tricia..unrelated problem. The headliner on my 13 c max has come loose all across the front edge where it meets the windshield. Just noticed while washing vehicle. Will take to dealer. Hopefully they have simple fix. Very inconvenient ...repeated prob w car. Rick C

Edited by rvc

• 2 months later...

I have had problems in that area as I described in another thread, not the one above.  I described my frustration trying to get a dealer to disable it.  Ended up putting a felt thing around the unlock, cut from a felt thing that goes on the bottom of a table leg. (Can buy on ebay or amazon.) I did not think that would solve the problem but it did. I will recommend this.  I have experienced the windows down plus rain.  Not nice.

UPDATE: Sorry, I thought this message was going into the new thread somebody started.

Edited by obob

Hi Tricia..unrelated problem. The headliner on my 13 c max has come loose all across the front edge where it meets the windshield. Just noticed while washing vehicle. Will take to dealer. Hopefully they have simple fix. Very inconvenient ...repeated prob w car. Rick C

If you are talking about the slight gap between the windshield and headliner, that's the way it is.   You didn't have to pay extra for the gap. :)

See the post for pic.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my windows unexpectedly down once, and my liftgate unexpectedly open twice. But it could have been pocket-presses all both cases. (I chalk it up to bad fob design - I think open buttons should be smaller / recessed). 

For another fob-related issue: I unlock my liftgate with the remote every workday, and about once every three weeks, the lights flash with the second click (as they do before opening properly), but it does not open. I don't recall hearing any sounds that would indicate any of the usual unlatching or liftgate propulsion, but I usually do it 20 feet or so away, as I finish my ride into the car, so I couldn't say for sure if I'm just not hearing it, or if it's not happening. The liftgate open button on the dash always works, so I don't think it's mechanical. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

I've had my windows unexpectedly down once, and my liftgate unexpectedly open twice. But it could have been pocket-presses all both cases. (I chalk it up to bad fob design - I think open buttons should be smaller / recessed). 

For another fob-related issue: I unlock my liftgate with the remote every workday, and about once every three weeks, the lights flash with the second click (as they do before opening properly), but it does not open. I don't recall hearing any sounds that would indicate any of the usual unlatching or liftgate propulsion, but I usually do it 20 feet or so away, as I finish my ride into the car, so I couldn't say for sure if I'm just not hearing it, or if it's not happening. The liftgate open button on the dash always works, so I don't think it's mechanical. 

I bought a cheap rubber cover for my FOB, which helps isolate the buttons, and I keep it in my left pocket, away from the mass of keys in my right pocket. I haven't had unexpected opening since I did these things.

Edited by stevedebi

@stevedebi: is it a rubber cover specific for this fob?  Do you have a link to where you bought it?

Here ya go. Apparently they no longer make the black color, so I hope you like bright hues! The only problem I have with it is that it tends to be a lint magnet in the pocket. It was a bit hard to get on, but you only do that when a battery change is needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVHVIUG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 8 years later...

I'm not crazy! I bought my 2014 C Max Energi Hybrid last week.  Everything was fine, and I downloaded an sync upgrade.  Next, I went to lock the car and all four windows rolled down.  My battery died the next day.  Then Everytime I get out of the car and lock it the windows roll down and the locks click a few times.  Ugh, do I buy a new key?