C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

CalgaryCMax I think your mileage is on par with what Canadian reviewers have achieved in colder climate cities in Canada.  We get about 5.9 L this winter as it is mild, last winter 6.4 L.  Summer mileage is heart stoppingly poor if you use air conditioning set at about 20 C.  Car does not get good mileage  if you use it for short hops as we do as the engine never warms up before you are at your destination.  Nice little car with fun technology, but if you expect window sticker mileage you will be very frustrated.  Yes in the southern States you can get it, but not in Canada unless it is a perfect Spring day and you are going downhill.

PS I traded in my beloved Smart Car named Pickle (she was a green convertible) for my C-Max.  I loved that little car and miss it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  Perfect for city driving--not so much for road trips.

Edited by Laurel

Thanks...glad to hear another Canadian's opinion.....I've been averaging 7.8L/100km ut it's been cold as hell in Calgary for 2 weeks straight.

I was recently riding in cab that happened to be a Priuis....the guy was getting in the 5s during a similar cold spell which caused me concern.

Last summer.....a solid 6.2L/100km on a long run average....various trips I'd be in the mid 5s 

We try not to focus on mileage at all as it seems we have different cars than our American counterparts when we read mileage issues.  Yes it sounds like your winter has been heavy duty.  We have a woman friend in Okotoks who has a small acreage with one senior horse, and she has had a rough winter trying to keep ahead of the drifting snow getting out to the horse.  They have had it rough around her what with the floods in High River last year.  She is trying to out live the horse and move back to BC when he passes on (he's too old to transport she says).

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been on the forums in a while and have not kept up with my Fuelly either, work has had me driving all over the place. I am now at over 19,000 miles and plenty of tanks since the software update. I know it took as I can easily get into EV at speeds over 70 mph. What is odd is that I have seen no improvement in my MPG at all with the update. I can't say it is any worse, but my average is down to 43.3 due to a lot of long highway trips that pull it down. I can barely break 40 mpg if I cruise at 70 mph. Now my drives into Los Angeles in traffic are actually up a bit, I see over 60 mpg fairly easily if I have just a bit of traffic to keep the speeds under 60 mph. Of course, this is the downhill direction and I always did very well there. Coming back home going uphill, I used to get right at 40 mpg, now I see it range from 37 to 40 depending on traffic speeds. It is much harder to keep it in High ICE on the way home, it goes into EV, sucks the battery down very quickly, and then get's under 20 mpg charging it back up again. I actually have been forcing it to fire up the engine to try and keep the battery up more. On my last long trip with more level highway, I got it to hold in High ICE and stay over 50 MPG at 70 mph. Watching the altitude on the info page, it did show I was dropping, but just 10 feet in nearly a mile, so just a hair down slope. Going the other way, I was holding about 40 MPG on the same stretch. So even that slight slope shows big on the MPG. This is still a 2 way average of 45 MPG at 70 mph as long as I can keep it in High ICE. If I let it drop to EV and fire back up to charge, the result is a bit worse. I really like being able to go EV on down hills at over 70 mpg, but for distance cruise, it does not help at all. Please Ford, give us a mode button.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my C-max for 6 weeks and getting 52-58 mpg with only 1,300 miles on the clock.  City driving.  West coast of Canada.  Mostly, but not completely flat.  I tend to use the ECO cruise frequently.

Last weekend, my wife and 2 kids (total passenger weight 400 pounds) drove extensively.  I deliberatly didn't try any pulse/glide techniques.  I just drove exactly as I did when I had a big Audi.  54 mpg.  55 mpg.  This car is unbelievable.  (I have heard Prius owners claim that Ford wants C-Max drivers to use a "feather touch" on the throttle.  No way)

I simply don't think you're going to get great results driving 70 mph every day and this is not where hybrids shine. 

Edited by Adrian_L

After an unusually cold winter in south Texas, our temperatures are starting to improve.  Oh what a difference the temperature makes in my mpg!  I was getting very testy about my upper 30's - both mpgs and temperatures.  My commute to and from work is back in the 47 range (mostly highway speeds).  A few days ago I did some running around in town, total of about 50 miles, including getting back home.....trip meter said I did 52.8.  

Rain is the other mpg killer for me.  Same trip to and from work, traveling at slower speeds on wet roads and my mpg will tank to the mid 30's.  As a rancher with cattle that have no grass, I really, really, really want it to rain.  As a person somewhat obsessed with getting better mpg today than yesterday, I don't want it to rain. Perhaps when it rains, I'll just drive the jeep to work - it gets like 14 mpg no matter what we do! 

After an unusually cold winter in south Texas, our temperatures are starting to improve.  Oh what a difference the temperature makes in my mpg!  I was getting very testy about my upper 30's - both mpgs and temperatures.  My commute to and from work is back in the 47 range (mostly highway speeds).  A few days ago I did some running around in town, total of about 50 miles, including getting back home.....trip meter said I did 52.8.  

Rain is the other mpg killer for me.  Same trip to and from work, traveling at slower speeds on wet roads and my mpg will tank to the mid 30's.  As a rancher with cattle that have no grass, I really, really, really want it to rain.  As a person somewhat obsessed with getting better mpg today than yesterday, I don't want it to rain. Perhaps when it rains, I'll just drive the jeep to work - it gets like 14 mpg no matter what we do! 

Did you install Grill Covers? How about engine oil pan or block heaters? These things improve MPG's significantly. :)

Paul

Did you install Grill Covers? How about engine oil pan or block heaters? These things improve MPG's significantly. :)

Paul

Hi Paul,

I haven't installed a thing.  I keep reading about all the cool stuff you guys are doing to improve your MPGs and thinking, "yep, I should do that soon".....but somehow "soon" never gets here!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been, what, 8 months, but I finally got the powertrain control module reprogramming. I have a very short freeway segment on my commute with a steep hill, and I think the reprogramming will make it a lot easier to get the same get the best possible fuel economy: I have always tried to target keeping the battery as empty as possible before I start braking, since I must come to a complete stop at the bottom of a 300-foot hill and want to recapture as much of that as possible. Now I can put more of that electrical energy, which previously would have consumed headroom and prevented recapturing, towards saving time, and I don't have to think so carefully about what I'm doing. 

I'm very excited to see how this works out! 

Edited by Noah Harbinger