C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

I have my C-Max registered on Fuelly as a 2014 and it is not one of the 2014's when you go to the list of supposedly all C-Max's.  And that list includes C-Max's from before 2013.  The site is good for tracking your own mileage but not any good for checking for real stats, at least not on C-Max's.

Yes Frank, there is some goofiness in the selection options.  But, like I said, you are safely in the largest sample and don't need to do anything.  For those who are 'outside' of the large sample block (Adair & Adrian), you can follow the note above to change your car profile settings and move into the larger sample of 241 individual C-Maxs.  Nick

I thought I changed it to get with the "241" but will try again when I have some time

Adrian, I just checked again and you are still isolated with 2 or 3 others in the 'Hybrid SEL' group.  You need to deselect 'Hybrid SEL' by selecting 'other' and following the next selections as I noted above. (Ignore the second lower Sub Model/custom category item.)  Good Luck.  I still hope to get them to fix their system.  Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Today downhill:

Distance: 1.4 miles

EV Mi:1.4

Regen Mi: 0.4

Fuel Use:999.9 mpg

0.0 gal

Brake Score:100%

Total Miles on Car:7348.2

Second drive of day:

Distance: 2.8 miles

EV Miles:1.8

Regen Miles: 0.1

Fuel Use:43 mpg

0.0 gal

Brake Score:99%

Total Miles on Car: 7351

LIFETIME

2620.5 EV MILES

191.6 Regen MILES

FEEL USE: 37.6

BRAKE SCORE: 95%

Montana winter and in service shop 49 days dinged me.

This car is therapy with wheels. ☺

Today downhill:

Distance: 1.4 miles

EV Mi:1.4

Regen Mi: 0.4

Fuel Use:999.9 mpg

0.0 gal

Brake Score:100%

Total Miles on Car:7348.2

Second drive of day:

Distance: 2.8 miles

EV Miles:1.8

Regen Miles: 0.1

Fuel Use:43 mpg

0.0 gal

Brake Score:99%

LIFETIME

2620.5 EV MILES

191.6 Regen MILES

FEEL USE: 37.6

BRAKE SCORE: 95%

Montana winter and in service shop 49 days dinged me.

This car is therapy with wheels. ☺

You need Grill Covers, Block Heater and oil Pan heater to improve your Winter and Summer MPG's. :)

Paul

My instantaneous is 42.5 mpg and continues to slowly go up. From your response should I infer that no glaring driving behaviors seen in the numbers? More adaptive in prep for winter and to 50 and beyond? Thanks.

You might want to read Grill Cover threads and Oil pan threads to learn more. The Quick version is to get maximum ICE efficiency the water temp needs to be above 202*F which happens rarely. This is when having ScanGauge II is helpful in monitoring this. Block and Oil Pan Heaters get ICE up to this temp quicker using less gas. Grill Covers are worth 2-4mpg Summer to Winter. Looks like you are working on your MPG's. :) 

Paul 

Hi newbie here. I get 36mpg driving 70 mph here in northern ca on I-5 . 20 miles one way totally flat no grades. I run the tires at spec and use the 5w20 semi synthetic that came in it since day one. Now that the warranty is gone I might try a 0w20.I do notice for every 5mph slower I drive the mpg go up. Unfortunately the motoring public doesn't want to drive as slow as I do.

I run 0W20 full synthetic, 55PSI and stay off the freeways ;)attachicon.gif20140803_131349.jpg

You are cheating! LOL You have a long extension cord. LOL :lol: :lol2:

Hi newbie here. I get 36mpg driving 70 mph here in northern ca on I-5 . 20 miles one way totally flat no grades. I run the tires at spec and use the 5w20 semi synthetic that came in it since day one. Now that the warranty is gone I might try a 0w20.I do notice for every 5mph slower I drive the mpg go up. Unfortunately the motoring public doesn't want to drive as slow as I do.

Grill Covers and 50PSI will give you about 3mpg more. :)

Paul

DIY... I know of no commercial sources, save for skilled craftsmen like Paul. Then again...

- my lower grill has foam pipe insulation, with small slits cut out for grill vertical slats. works in the middle, too

- my middle grill has a 20x2.25 bycycle inner tube slid between the slats and held in with wire T's; no reason this wouldn't work below. Let the air out if it gets too hot.

- my upper grill has a pair of plexiglas panels slid behind the slats (access by removing plastic rivets; just pull up the center and the plug comes out), but this grill is engine air intake only, no access to the cooling system I could see, and no functional loss in engine performance when used as a Hybrid instead of a race car.

And there are lourvres behind the grill, described in forum thread, but most of us find they let in too much air. Then again, if you drive up long grades in hot weather, you will need to remove some/all grill blocks, or at minimum, monitor coolant temperature, either by setting up My View, running in Engineering Test (ET) mode, or using an engine interrogator like ScanGauge or an OBDII transmitter and Torque app on smart phone or tablet.

HAve fun,

Frank

One year now since "the upgrade" - average indicated MPG is at 48.2 happy%20feet.gif

A 3300 mile trip gave 49.6.  Details here.  All E0 gas would have given over 50 MPG for sure.

This car is insane!

Phenomenal!

So what are you saying? Another LONG trip 3000+ miles of REAL freeway and highways and you got 49.6 MPG while Consumer Report CMax drivers who loops a piddly circuit only managed *PIDDLY* 38MPG, huh?

Who knew...how bad the Consumer Reports CMax drivers really are :lol:

:stirpot:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

New poster here, but I've had my C-Max since late January of this year.  I think mileage is mostly a matter of what terrain you are driving through every day, but habits help as well.  My wife tells me I drive like an 80 year old now that my purpose in life is to get a new mileage record with each tank.  I don't think I'm that bad, but I do find myself sticking to speed limits in areas that normally I would drift above them.  I actually took a picture of my lifetime stats on my dashboard yesterday because I was trying to calculate the savings over the car I replaced (a 2012 Toyota Tacoma) and it says I have a lifetime average MPG of 44.5, which I guess is good compared to what the official numbers state.  I'm pumped right now because 100 miles into my current tank I'm at 52.3 MPG.  Again, I think that is more a result of my specific drive to work than anything else, but it sure beats the 18 MPG I was getting with the truck every day.

14882054413_930f27201d_b.jpg

New poster here, but I've had my C-Max since late January of this year.  I think mileage is mostly a matter of what terrain you are driving through every day, but habits help as well.  My wife tells me I drive like an 80 year old now that my purpose in life is to get a new mileage record with each tank.  I don't think I'm that bad, but I do find myself sticking to speed limits in areas that normally I would drift above them.  I actually took a picture of my lifetime stats on my dashboard yesterday because I was trying to calculate the savings over the car I replaced (a 2012 Toyota Tacoma) and it says I have a lifetime average MPG of 44.5, which I guess is good compared to what the official numbers state.  I'm pumped right now because 100 miles into my current tank I'm at 52.3 MPG.  Again, I think that is more a result of my specific drive to work than anything else, but it sure beats the 18 MPG I was getting with the truck every day.

14882054413_930f27201d_b.jpg

I would think she would be happy with all the money you are saving. :)

Paul

Great driving Vmmvmmm !!!  It is mostly your fabulous C-Max & then your driving skills (we all have terrain) !!!  Paint a racing stripe on the hood, and maybe she will tell you to slow down.  ;) 

You know that 52.3 will get you a 600 mile tank - come on now, keep it going.  :rockon:

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea