C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

• 2 weeks later...

My personal best for EV-only and EV+ operation: 999.9 mpg for 1.7 miles

post-1940-0-88692200-1409323102_thumb.jpg

When I get the HVB completely topped off via regen on the long interstate off-ramp, I can drive (from the ice cream store at the top of the ramp) through town to home entirely in EV. I've actually done it one other time from another exit about the same distance from home, but didn't grab a snapshot.

UPDATE: 09-15-2014

Got my personal best EV-only distance up to 2.4 miles yesterday with a full HVB from the other interstate off-ramp mentioned above, but I didn't grab a snapshot, just noted the odometer mileage. There was still a ~35% charge showing in the HVB and the car was in EV+ so I probably could have driven another 1/2 mile or so, but we were home at that point.

Edited by kostby

Sorry folks but our beloved C-Max is not a 47 MPG car. :sad:

Its a 48 MPG car! :) happy%20feet.gif :lol: :shift:

Saw it on The Enterprise for the first time today.  Average since "upgrade" is at 48.4.

gallery_656_57_154447.png

:congrats:

Snowstorm, my friend, you will NEVER, EVER be a Toaster Reviewer aka Hybrid Driver at Consumer Report. Never, you are done. Adios! Kaput! Out of there! ....now take that shameful, shameful post down :baby:

Oh...if you had a subscription to the Toaster reviews aka CR, expect that to be cancelled ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

WOW, 44k miles, and still beating the 'impossible'.  Very cool Snowstorm !  :hat_tip: The Enterprise is definitely booking at warp speed !

(Sure hope there are scads of folks out there doing something similar, just not here with the forum)

Starship GG away,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

did another 600+ mile tank...

had a bunch of rain this week  I was really hoping for a 700 miler... had nearly a gallon left  could have gotten close to 700.  but  have a trip to richmond planned  and it made sense to fill up on the way home from work and not have to worry about it later..

640.8 miles

411 ev

51.2 indicated mpg

12.49 indicated gallons

23 mph average

13.07 pumped

49.02 mpg calc

Answering the original question:

According to my currrent lifetime and recent tank-based trip displays I consistently get about 140 mpg and 70 mpge  (in mixed city and highway driving).

Trips on gasoline only are unusual for me, but on gasoline-only highway trips (typically over 15 miles) I usually see about 50 mpg (+/- 5).

As I've posted previously, I use ample heat or A/C as needed for comfort.  I accelerate smartly, brake gently and try to anticipate the stops.  Otherwise I do not use any special driving techniques.  (I got all of that fun out of my system in my previous life with my Camry Hybrid.  Now I just drive normally and enjoy such great fuel economy as comes about naturally.) 

For the record, the Camry Hybrid was a very satisfactory car. (I did not care for the Prius at all.)  My Camry Hybrid was entirely trouble free for 5 years.  (It did suffer from a few dead 12-volt battery events, but those were self-inflicted.)  It consistently gave me 45 mpg on long highway trips and could do up to 35 mpg in the city driving normally or 70-80 mpg with EXTREME hypermiling and a plug-in conversion.

The Camry Hybrid was a great car.  I like the C-Max a whole lot more !

Edited by Smiling Jack

for any who cares...

I just did a trip down to richmond VA and back today. 99% highway (I 95)

4 hours 6 mins driving

222.6 miles

60 EV

43.4 MPG

5.12 gallons

average speed of 54.8  held high 60's as much as possible with some stints near 80.  had a few 10mph slow rolls which brought the MPH down  and helped the EV. 

Going down was a 1:45 trip for 111 miles with 22 EV  so my average going down was 63   and coming back was only 48....  if I could have maintained 48 from start to finish  mileage would have been excellent.   Somehting tells me though on i95 going 48 mph  would have gotten me shot...:)

I did notice that going down  when I stuck the cruise around between 65-70  I noticed the "sweet spot"  with the ICE  quite a few times

Averaging about 50 mpg in the 6 weeks of ownership. Weekends I do more freeway driving and get mostly in the upper 40's. Weekdays is mostly city and get 52 to 58 most of the time. Funny sometimes I try to watch what I do to get better mpg and sometimes I don't. I sometimes don't see much difference in results.

Small trips are all over the place. I have driven 3 miles and did over 100 mpg but it is more downhill. Others have been in the 20's because the ICE was on more.

• 2 weeks later...

winter fuel, cooler temps, and some highway time(most of the tank)  still could have made 600,  but I had 2 empty fuel cans for the mower that needed to be filled...

570 miles

266 EV

12.2 indicated

46.6 indicated

12.8 pumped

44.5 calc

average speed 32

Have you installed Grill Covers yet? :)

Paul

no,  have not made any yet...  hasn't been real high on the "to do list"

not quite sure i want the lexan over the whole grille, and not real keen on the foam...

so  not sure what if anything I'm going to do..

on the prius I only did the lower as it was more inconspicuous...

Edited by Marc Smith

no,  have not made any yet...  hasn't been real high on the "to do list"

not quite sure i want the lexan over the whole grille, and not real keen on the foam...

so  not sure what if anything I'm going to do..

on the prius I only did the lower as it was more inconspicuous...

Sounds like you are worried about over heating. You can set MyView to show temp gauge if you want.  I run around with both Grill Covers all the time, no problems and it will improve your MPG's. Oil Pan Heater wouldn't hurt too. :)

Paul

no not worried about overheat.  all about aesthetics and ease of use

while I know the lexan is clear  it would not be long until it started getting nicked up from road debris, and the foam  while simplistically ellegant in nature.  not sure i want to deal with all the peices...

Just me being me...  thats all..

I use mine as a work car so I'm more interested in MPG's. I hate it when my MPG's go down, Like I'm not doing a good job hypermiling. Could use clear saran wrap over cover and replace it periodically I suppose.   :)

Paul

yeah but that would look even worse.

commuter car... here  15-18 miles each way.  I'd love to make for each slat  a "one peice"  so I end up with 3-4 slats for the upper and a couple for the lower , rather than 15 foam peices.

That's a lot of work, still like LEXAN Gril Cover, you can hardly tell it's there when it's new. IMHO  MPG's is what I bought the CMAX  for and I'm Loving it. :yahoo: BTW  I get people looking at my aero mods all the time. LOL

Paul

Edited by ptjones