C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

While I'm still on my first tank of gas, I'm generally getting about 42 to 44 mpg depending on the trip, city versus highway, etc. While I am very happy with the mileage, it is lower than the claimed level of 47 mpg. In fact, I think it would be very difficult to consistently get 47 mpg.

Of course, I would be curious to hear if other C-maxers are able to get the claimed mileage (and how).

REC

I've gone about 500 miles in mine so far. At first I was very disappointed with the MPGs (low to mid 30's) but it has been rising consistently since I first started driving it. I'm now achieving low 40's with good consistency. I'm sure my driving habits are changing as I become use to the car and I'm starting to feel that 47 MPG is attainable for around-town driving.

I'm a bit skeptical and disappointed with highway MPG, however. I set the cruise to 65 MPH in ECO mode, with the A/C off, and I hardly ever see the real-time MPG gauge go over 40. I travel at near sea-level between Crestview and Pensacola Florida several times a week. It is a very straight stretch on I-10 with very mild hills. I would like to see the MPG's go up on this drive but I don't know how to make it happen. The speed limit is 70 on I-10 and 65 MPH is as slow as I dare go.

I haven't checked my tire pressure yet because I just took delivery of the car last week, but I know that can play a huge role if it is low. I'll check it today before my Pensacola drive.

I have been getting between 42 and 44 mpg on my trips. I have put on just over 1000 miles and looks like I am getting better mpgs as the car is breaking in. Oh, and by the way, I love my new car. SEL model with loads of bells and whistles. I will admit that when I travel at more than 60 mph, the mileage suffers and when I am going into a headwind of more than 10 mph I definitely "feel" the wind. I like the take off better from slower speeds if I am not in eco cruise. But, mpgs do get a slight bit better if i accelerate using my eco cruise. I use the step up and down a lot in cruise. When it is cold (below 40 degrees), the car doesn't go into ev mode until the car is warmed up a bit. This was a surprise to me and at first I thought something was wrong.

Edited by sdaustin6483

I was initially disapointed with the fuel economy as well, feeling lucky to get 37mpg on the first few drives, but I just took a trip through some mountains and back and was able to get 40mpg average which seems reasonable given the terrain. I was watching my driving, but also keeping up with traffic and passing trunks on some big hills when neccesary (which is really nice to be able to step on the gas - but not flooring it - and have it do something going up a hill). Additionally, last night I was able to get 53.8mpg late at night on a 7.4 mile (5.1 EV and 0.4 regen miles) in city drive (no more than 45mph). That mpg is only possible when there is nobody behind me and I think it may have been mostly charged to begin with, but I was not really trying too hard either. I think it does need some breaking in also. I have not yet compared the computed mpg to the actual since I just got the car, but on my next tank I will do that.

20121012233749.jpg

One thing that is puzzling about the way the C-max seems to operate (and I admit to not RTFM much) is that when running in EV mode, it will drop out at the slightest accelleration sometimes, and that is when there is still about 50% heardroom on the gauge for the EV KW meter. I said sometimes because I think this has to do with the state of charge on the battery - when it is at or below half charged the EV experience is more difficult to keep consistent, but when the battery is mostly charged it seems the EV acts more predictably. Also I have noticed that sometimes when the EV is off (like on the freeway) and the battery is charged mostly, that the instantaneous mpg will go to the high 30's to low 40's, whereas at other times when the battery is being actively charged, mpg appears to be in the mid 20's - so charging seems to take a good deal of hp (or kw),and kills the mpg when it happens - one more reason to pay attention to the regen braking. These are just my preceptions from the first few drives so take them with a grain of salt.

Edited by CNCGeek

I had no trouble getting 45mpg on my daily commute and reached 48mpg a couple of times and 50mpg once. The lifetime is hovering around 45 and I expect that to go higher since I only ave 500 miles on the car. My commute is a combination of suburban streets, highway speeds of 60 to 70 mph with rolling hills. It ends with city center stop and go. So far I think the MPG is great.

odom C Max

I am willing to wait after the 1,000 mile break in recommended by the adminstrator's post. I am currently getting about 35 mpg. No matter how much I baby the throttle on the freeway I can't get a constant reading near 40 mpg. But in Orange County, CA the traffic here is tough. A lot of stop and go, and when you go, you better haul ass or you'll get a honk or middle finger. I would rather see a rating with worse/best case senario. Like, the worst case you'll get 32 mpg and you can max out maybe 52 mpg.

I am willing to wait after the 1,000 mile break in recommended by the adminstrator's post. I am currently getting about 35 mpg. No matter how much I baby the throttle on the freeway I can't get a constant reading near 40 mpg. But in Orange County, CA the traffic here is tough. A lot of stop and go, and when you go, you better haul ass or you'll get a honk or middle finger. I would rather see a rating with worse/best case senario. Like, the worst case you'll get 32 mpg and you can max out maybe 52 mpg.

One way to get it to go into EV is to get up to speed on the engine, and then when you are at or near where you want to be, feather off the gas just a bit and the EV will probably kick in, then if you need to speed up a bit do it really slowly. Using the "Empower" mode on the right monitor helps too since it gives a moving threshold for where the EV will drop out if you gas it too much, it takes a real light foot to keep it dancing in the EV mode.

24 mile cruise at 35 MPH, both directions so wind was and then was not a factor, on Daytona Beach A1A with eco-cruise set, got 64 MPG

I think my best real world mpg so far has been on streets under 45mph. Out of curiosity, what is the speed limit on that road, and is it respected?

from tip to tip of Daytona Beach on A1A was posted at 35 and got real lucky with traffic and all the traffic lights flashing, only time I broke below 35 was to turn around, it was a Sunday night and I doubt that traffic flow happens very often. Never passed and never was passed by a car the entire 24 miles.

I got mine last Monday, so after a week and a tank and a half of gas I'm at 700 miles. I'm still averaging 38; best trip has been about 40 (60-70 mph zones). I have adjusted my driving, using ECO Cruise, etc. and it's still not doing anywhere near 47 unless you have a downhill trip the whole way. I was ready to take mine back until I found the note on this forum about the break in period. No one at the dealer knew anything about it, but we liked this car so much more than the Prius and it's American; so we're very hopeful it works out. I can say that it's probably the best car I've ever driven in rain; the Michelins and the ATC are incredibly stable. I'll be posting as I get closer to 1-2 K with hopefully good news.

This is something I observed yesterday with mine. I have had mine nearly 2 weeks now and had a consistent average of 40-41 mpg mostly city. I would note my trip summary would consistently be in the high 40s to low 50's with short trips. The life time reading was staying however at 25.6 mpg. Yesterday I decided to reset the lifetime reading before I set out on a 20 mile trip. After a few miles into my trip the average mpg started to quickly increase from the 40-41 average to now showing 46 mpg average. So what does this mean - I am thinking the lifetime average was artificially causing lower mpg reading due to the very poor driving techniques at the dealer, car handlers etc. The 1000 mile break in is needed to overcome this initial poor average unless you simply reset the lifetime average. So my suggestion is check to see what your lifetime reading shows. If it is very low, reset it and drive. Granted my observations are very limited but this morning after my commute to work my lifetime average showed 46.5 mpg (up from 25.6) with the trip summary showing 47 mpg (up from 41). I think this reading is a more accurate reflection of what my C Max has been getting on average. I am hoping to do even better after the 1000 miles and improved driving technique. The funny thing here is the car I traded for the C Max would get 21 mpg.

I would like to know if you have the same outcome especially if you are not getting the mpg you were expecting. I know I am happier today about it.

Lifetime stats: 1,013 miles, 488 EV, 88 Regen, 38mpg

Mostly city with very small percentage stop-n-go traffic, once per week 85 mile mostly highway trip.

New England weather, so only has been cool a couple of days.

Question: With almost half our miles EV and really very light on the accelerator, why only 38mpg?

Any idea what the mpg would be if car only had gasoline engine?

As is everyone, awaiting that magical 2-3k mileage for real results.

Hello everyone. My actual mileage so far is 41.9. The computer shows 43.6 so it is a little optimistic. Temps have been in the 40's to 50's. Tire pressure at 38 as per spec. I had EV+ mode turned on but I turned it off today to see if it made any difference. I was use to getting near 50 mpg with my 2006 Civic Hybrid so getting less in the higher rated C-MAX is a dissappointment. Personally I am not a believer in the brake in period but maybe this one is different. I have just under 1900 miles so far. Today I averaged 45.7 indicated but it was near 70 degrees. This is a mix of mostly highway.

Hello everyone. My actual mileage so far is 41.9. The computer shows 43.6 so it is a little optimistic. Temps have been in the 40's to 50's. Tire pressure at 38 as per spec. I had EV+ mode turned on but I turned it off today to see if it made any difference. I was use to getting near 50 mpg with my 2006 Civic Hybrid so getting less in the higher rated C-MAX is a dissappointment. Personally I am not a believer in the brake in period but maybe this one is different. I have just under 1900 miles so far. Today I averaged 45.7 indicated but it was near 70 degrees. This is a mix of mostly highway.

I agree, I am starting to think 41-42mpg will end up being my average. If it gets better than that, it won't have anything to do with the car breaking in, it will be a change in my driving habits. At least among the people I know, Toyota drivers (Prius and Camry Hybrid) seem to be getting at least as good or better than EPA mpg, but it seems to be a struggle for me to get within reach of the EPA numbers on the C-max. OTOH I don't think I'd be happy with a Prius.

I agree, I am starting to think 41-42mpg will end up being my average. If it gets better than that, it won't have anything to do with the car breaking in, it will be a change in my driving habits. At least among the people I know, Toyota drivers (Prius and Camry Hybrid) seem to be getting at least as good or better than EPA mpg, but it seems to be a struggle for me to get within reach of the EPA numbers on the C-max. OTOH I don't think I'd be happy with a Prius.

Are you using ethanol mixed fuel? I can't find any stations near me that have straight gasoline.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

Are you using ethanol mixed fuel? I can't find any stations near me that have straight gasoline.

http://www.fuelecono...g/ethanol.shtml

You are correct, I believe (but need to verify) that stations sell 10% ethanol around here - year round. The EPA tests are run with 100% gas (no ethanol). That's still only about 2mpg lost to e10, which moves things closer to 47mpg for me, but not quite within reach. Possibly winter blends could be a further hit on mpg, but I am not sure by how much.

At least 1 owner seems to be exceeding EPA, 55.2mpg average in city driving;

https://www.fuelly.c...r/cmaximus/cmax

If you look at the comments there, he/she is using several Hypermiling techniques (which makes a lot of sense given the mpg figures). It is nice to see what the c-max is capable of, though that driver's numbers are probably going to be at the far right on the bell curve.

Today I was about to turn into my parking garage and looked down to see I had hit the 47mpg mark on the lifetime guage.

(check the gallery for pics)

I also average 53.5mpg on this commute (yesterday I avg 59.3). I wasn't using any hyper-miling techniques but did try not to exceed the speed limit. During one segmet I was able to use the eco-cruise at 65mph. The temp this morning was about 60. I use regular e-10 gas because that is all you can get around here. My commute is 27 miles with one third suburban roads, one third highway, one third city traffic.

I have noticed that I get my best mileage when traffic is light and during the city segment there is no one behind me at stop lights. This allows me to ease through an intersection and gain momentum gradually. Other than that I drive pretty close to normal.

Edited by NewMaxDriver