Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Gentex Electrochromatic Mirror Installation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

I am a big fan of electrochromatic mirrors. Unfortunately it was not an option on my SE model and only comes with the SEL model. So I installed an aftermarket Gentex mirror (good condition used unit obtained on eBay for $125) that included Homelink which was also an SEL only option. Here's how:

1. Purchase a Gentex or Mito electrochromatic mirror.
- Don't get one with a temp sensor because we already have that and it's extra install work for the sensor
- Make sure the wire harness is included if you buy used. Also if it comes with the wire cover ask for the long one (not the short one)

2. Remove the overhead console by pulling on the sides first, then the rear and finally the front. The clips are on the sides and rear but not the front. To help understand how it's held review the attached pictures.

Attached File  Overhead Console.jpg   22.94KB   137 downloads

Attached File  Console Front.jpg   20.27KB   154 downloads

Attached File  Console Side.jpg   21.39KB   129 downloads

Attached File  Console Rear.jpg   26.42KB   133 downloads

3. Unplug the power connector at the rear of the console. I had difficulty unplugging the 2nd plug for the mic and didn't want to break it so I left it attached. Instead I zipped tied the console onto some of the roof framework since I couldn't completely remove it and let it hang so that the weight of the console wouldn't pull on the mic wires.

4. Locate the needed wires on the console power plug. See pictures below for better understanding. The wires are coded as follows: Constant 12V is yellow with a light purple stripe and Ground is black with a white stripe. I could not find a good ignition 12V source in the console plug. The one that exits in this plug is 8.5V when the ignition is on and decreases to 4.5V when the headlights are turned on which isn't sufficient to trigger the mirror properly. For the 12V ignition you'll need to tap a 12 volt ignition controlled fuse at the fuse panel.

Attached File  Console Plug.jpg   21.48KB   138 downloads

5. I used the included wire taps to attached the mirror harness wires to my existing overhead console plug

Attached File  Wires Tapped.jpg   26.56KB   130 downloads

6. Run the wires above the roof liner and out the slot that already exists in the front of the headliner to the mirror

7. For you ignition 12V source you'll need to buy an "Add a Fuse mini plug" from your local auto parts store (Google the term to see what it looks like). Run a twisted copper auto grade 18 to 20 gauge wire from the overhead console area along the top of the headliner to the A pillar on the passenger side. You'll need to remove the plastic cover on the A pillar (it's held in by three blue push pins) by pulling on it outwards starting towards the top. Be aware that the top blue push pin is attached to the plastic A pillar cover that you're removing. You'll need to detach it before you can completely remove the A pillar cover (it just slides off). Run your wire down the passenger A pillar and zip tie it onto the existing wires along this path. Ensure not to interfere with or run the wire in front of the airbag in this location.

8. At the dash you'll need to fish the wire from the top of the dash (at the base of the passenger A pillar) down through the dash to below the dash where the interior fuse panel is (above the foot area on the passenger side). To remove the soft cover above the passenger foot area (which covers the fuse panel) you'll need to pull off two black plastic plugs. They come off by squeezing them and pulling downwards. Then gently pull down the soft cover which hides the fuse panel. I had good luck using a stiffer lower guage wire to fish through this area from the bottom up. After fishing the stiffer wire up through the dash I attached my new wire to it and pulled the wire down through the dash.

9. Next pull the 7.5 amp mini fuse in the 85 position. It's a 7.5 amp fuse which is ignition controlled and is labeled in the manual as "Electronic 15 feed".

10. Attach the wire you fed down through the dash to the "Add a fuse" you purchased. Place the 7.5 amp you removed from the vehicle into slot A on the "Add a fuse" and a new 5 amp fuse in slot B. Put the "Add a fuse" into slot 85 where you removed the 7.5 amp fuse from. On the overhead console side attach your ignition 12V wire to the red wire on your new mirror plug which should be labeled ignition 12V. Your wiring is now all set.

11. Remove your existing mirror using a flat head screwdriver to reach underneath from the bottom. Used a thin flathead and gently push up away from the glass as you pull up on the mirror. This guy on the Focus website explains it well:
http://www.focusfana...ad.php?t=257660

Attached File  Mirror Wedge.jpg   22.27KB   142 downloads

12. Slide the new mirror onto the windshield wedge and tighten it. Mine required a T20 torx screw driver.

13. Attached the plug to the rear of the mirror and test. If all works well program the Homelink feature per the included instructions that came with your mirror

Attached File  Installed Mirror.jpg   27.72KB   112 downloads

Edited by dtorres, 13 October 2012 - 05:34 PM.

• cmaxcharter likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Cool, I was considering getting the Gentex mirror with rearview monitor and then buying a camera kit off ebay for the c-max. Your instructions should help if I buy it (almost $400 for the mirror).

#3 OFFLINE   JayCo59

JayCo59

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ct
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Nice writeup...will come in handy when I do the same thing with the rear video.
Jay

#4 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Thanks, I can use those power locations to attach my Valentine 1. Now just need find mirror bracket mount for the V1. Don't like using suction cups the Texas heat kills them. The Visor mounts obscure microwave and Lidar signals.

Looking for something like this to fit the C-Max.
http://www.countryjo...ntinemount.html

I installed a Gentex mirror on my Jetta TDI, they are excellent products.

#5 OFFLINE   eslaymaker

eslaymaker

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thank you for the guidance.  I just completeted the installation of a new Mito mirror on my SE (auto-dimming only - no Homelink or temp sensor) based on your write-up, and it worked flawlessly.  FYI, a new Mito mirror has wire leads that are long enough to reach the passenger fuse box without splicing wires.  Total cost for installation with the new mirror, (1) long wire cover, and an add-a-fuse kit was $80-85. Total time was about 1.5 hours. 

#6 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Thank you for the guidance.  I just completeted the installation of a new Mito mirror on my SE (auto-dimming only - no Homelink or temp sensor) based on your write-up, and it worked flawlessly.  FYI, a new Mito mirror has wire leads that are long enough to reach the passenger fuse box without splicing wires.  Total cost for installation with the new mirror, (1) long wire cover, and an add-a-fuse kit was $80-85. Total time was about 1.5 hours. 

I checked amazon for Mito Mirror and it looks like the Gentex with a similar price tag, were you able to find a good price on them?  How is the mirror when used as a mirror - and at night?  Thanks!

#7 OFFLINE   eslaymaker

eslaymaker

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Works great day and night. I bought mine on www.mitocorp.com.

#8 OFFLINE   sixtyeightmk2

sixtyeightmk2

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Had my V1 die in California heat - actually killed the V1. Must say they have a much better and faster service plan then Ford does. They shipped it back to me within 2 days!

Thanks, I can use those power locations to attach my Valentine 1. Now just need find mirror bracket mount for the V1. Don't like using suction cups the Texas heat kills them. The Visor mounts obscure microwave and Lidar signals.

Looking for something like this to fit the C-Max.
http://www.countryjo...ntinemount.html

I installed a Gentex mirror on my Jetta TDI, they are excellent products.

#9 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Bump (because a good write-up deserves it)

HAve fun,

Frank

#10 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Who needs a radar detector?  I never speed, it wastes too much gas.  Speeding defeats buying a hybrid.

• ChuckJr likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Nice directions. I can't believe I missed this when originally posted. My Max already has the mirror, but this writeup opens a whole world of possibilities fro those of us who like to do stuff but are missing a few key essentials on how a modern auto is put together.

#12 OFFLINE   cmaxcharter

cmaxcharter

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:47 PM

Great write up dtorres! It made my Valentine1 install easy and fast! I used the Blendmount.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·