Gentex Electrochromatic Mirror Installation

dtorres

I am a big fan of electrochromatic mirrors. Unfortunately it was not an option on my SE model and only comes with the SEL model. So I installed an aftermarket Gentex mirror (good condition used unit obtained on eBay for $125) that included Homelink which was also an SEL only option. Here's how:

1. Purchase a Gentex or Mito electrochromatic mirror.

- Don't get one with a temp sensor because we already have that and it's extra install work for the sensor

- Make sure the wire harness is included if you buy used. Also if it comes with the wire cover ask for the long one (not the short one)

2. Remove the overhead console by pulling on the sides first, then the rear and finally the front. The clips are on the sides and rear but not the front. To help understand how it's held review the attached pictures.

post-33-0-34458400-1349823304_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-69198000-1349823300_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-14057700-1349823302_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-58392400-1349823301_thumb.jpg

3. Unplug the power connector at the rear of the console. I had difficulty unplugging the 2nd plug for the mic and didn't want to break it so I left it attached. Instead I zipped tied the console onto some of the roof framework since I couldn't completely remove it and let it hang so that the weight of the console wouldn't pull on the mic wires.

4. Locate the needed wires on the console power plug. See pictures below for better understanding. The wires are coded as follows: Constant 12V is yellow with a light purple stripe and Ground is black with a white stripe. I could not find a good ignition 12V source in the console plug. The one that exits in this plug is 8.5V when the ignition is on and decreases to 4.5V when the headlights are turned on which isn't sufficient to trigger the mirror properly. For the 12V ignition you'll need to tap a 12 volt ignition controlled fuse at the fuse panel.

post-33-0-11831800-1349823301_thumb.jpg

5. I used the included wire taps to attached the mirror harness wires to my existing overhead console plug

post-33-0-88182200-1349823304_thumb.jpg

6. Run the wires above the roof liner and out the slot that already exists in the front of the headliner to the mirror

7. For you ignition 12V source you'll need to buy an "Add a Fuse mini plug" from your local auto parts store (Google the term to see what it looks like). Run a twisted copper auto grade 18 to 20 gauge wire from the overhead console area along the top of the headliner to the A pillar on the passenger side. You'll need to remove the plastic cover on the A pillar (it's held in by three blue push pins) by pulling on it outwards starting towards the top. Be aware that the top blue push pin is attached to the plastic A pillar cover that you're removing. You'll need to detach it before you can completely remove the A pillar cover (it just slides off). Run your wire down the passenger A pillar and zip tie it onto the existing wires along this path. Ensure not to interfere with or run the wire in front of the airbag in this location.

8. At the dash you'll need to fish the wire from the top of the dash (at the base of the passenger A pillar) down through the dash to below the dash where the interior fuse panel is (above the foot area on the passenger side). To remove the soft cover above the passenger foot area (which covers the fuse panel) you'll need to pull off two black plastic plugs. They come off by squeezing them and pulling downwards. Then gently pull down the soft cover which hides the fuse panel. I had good luck using a stiffer lower guage wire to fish through this area from the bottom up. After fishing the stiffer wire up through the dash I attached my new wire to it and pulled the wire down through the dash.

9. Next pull the 7.5 amp mini fuse in the 85 position. It's a 7.5 amp fuse which is ignition controlled and is labeled in the manual as "Electronic 15 feed".

10. Attach the wire you fed down through the dash to the "Add a fuse" you purchased. Place the 7.5 amp you removed from the vehicle into slot A on the "Add a fuse" and a new 5 amp fuse in slot B. Put the "Add a fuse" into slot 85 where you removed the 7.5 amp fuse from. On the overhead console side attach your ignition 12V wire to the red wire on your new mirror plug which should be labeled ignition 12V. Your wiring is now all set.

11. Remove your existing mirror using a flat head screwdriver to reach underneath from the bottom. Used a thin flathead and gently push up away from the glass as you pull up on the mirror. This guy on the Focus website explains it well:

http://www.focusfana...ad.php?t=257660

post-33-0-80507800-1349823303_thumb.jpg

12. Slide the new mirror onto the windshield wedge and tighten it. Mine required a T20 torx screw driver.

13. Attached the plug to the rear of the mirror and test. If all works well program the Homelink feature per the included instructions that came with your mirror

post-33-0-85801800-1349823302_thumb.jpg

Edited by dtorres

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I can use those power locations to attach my Valentine 1. Now just need find mirror bracket mount for the V1. Don't like using suction cups the Texas heat kills them. The Visor mounts obscure microwave and Lidar signals.

Looking for something like this to fit the C-Max.

http://www.countryjoycrafts.com/valentinemount.html

I installed a Gentex mirror on my Jetta TDI, they are excellent products.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the guidance.  I just completeted the installation of a new Mito mirror on my SE (auto-dimming only - no Homelink or temp sensor) based on your write-up, and it worked flawlessly.  FYI, a new Mito mirror has wire leads that are long enough to reach the passenger fuse box without splicing wires.  Total cost for installation with the new mirror, (1) long wire cover, and an add-a-fuse kit was $80-85. Total time was about 1.5 hours. 

Thank you for the guidance.  I just completeted the installation of a new Mito mirror on my SE (auto-dimming only - no Homelink or temp sensor) based on your write-up, and it worked flawlessly.  FYI, a new Mito mirror has wire leads that are long enough to reach the passenger fuse box without splicing wires.  Total cost for installation with the new mirror, (1) long wire cover, and an add-a-fuse kit was $80-85. Total time was about 1.5 hours. 

I checked amazon for Mito Mirror and it looks like the Gentex with a similar price tag, were you able to find a good price on them?  How is the mirror when used as a mirror - and at night?  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Had my V1 die in California heat - actually killed the V1. Must say they have a much better and faster service plan then Ford does. They shipped it back to me within 2 days!

Thanks, I can use those power locations to attach my Valentine 1. Now just need find mirror bracket mount for the V1. Don't like using suction cups the Texas heat kills them. The Visor mounts obscure microwave and Lidar signals.

Looking for something like this to fit the C-Max.
http://www.countryjoycrafts.com/valentinemount.html

I installed a Gentex mirror on my Jetta TDI, they are excellent products.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...