Tinted Windows

I was disappointed that Ford decided not to added the privacy glass (tinted windows) to the rear windows as was done on my three previous Fords. Either way I decided to have them tinted and here are the results. I went with Suntek CXP 35% on fronts and 18% on the rears and back window. If you've tinted your C-Max lets see the pics and don't forget to mention what percentage tint you used.

post-33-0-04871400-1349825208_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-67141500-1349825208_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-34976100-1349825207_thumb.jpg

Had ours done today, shop has a PC running a program to cut out the sheets based off factory spec's, came out perfect, they loaded in 2013 C Max and it did all the work.

Did rears and back at 20 % and fronts and front triangle at 50% meting state requirements

When you get a chance post some pics :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Tinting was a must for me since the car didn't come with an auto-adjusting rear-view mirror. I got 15% in the rear. Nothing in the front (Michigan Law) I had a light tint on my previous car in the front windows, but decided to play it safe on the C-Max!

Turned out great. Nice added security!

• 2 months later...

I am tinting next week.  Living in Texas, keeping-out the heat saves on A/C and MPG.  I am doing a high-end 3M film: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/Crystalline_Automotive_Films/

I looked at a variety other ceramic and metalic films, but this seems to provide the best features for me: no haze, heat rejection, good night visibility.

I'll post pictures when complete.

I am tinting next week.  Living in Texas, keeping-out the heat saves on A/C and MPG.  I am doing a high-end 3M film: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/Crystalline_Automotive_Films/

I looked at a variety other ceramic and metalic films, but this seems to provide the best features for me: no haze, heat rejection, good night visibility.

Hello neighbor welcome to the C-Max club. I negotiated my tint as part of the deal otherwise would have probably gone with Huber Optik or the 3M.

Let me know how well it works this summer when we hit those 100+ days.

Dealers in Phoenix almost always tint windows of all new vehicles before they hit the lot, then try to charge outrageous fees ($399+) or put it into an even more expensive "Desert Protection Package".

My Ford dealer wanted $150 for it, which is about market, but I got itthrown in.  It does make a difference in the summer heat and for glare.

I got Crystalline 40 on the sides and back, and 70 on the front windshield, like it so far, although will know better in phoenix in august :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine done in Huber Optic Xtreme Optiks 35% all around. Except of course the windshield, which I would never tint. Colorado law is 27%+ light transmission and standard windows already have some tint, so I usually stick with 35%. Also I live in an urban environment and we have lots of jaywalkers. I need to be able to see clearly at night if I want avoid taking out a drunk hipster.

The shop I use is expensive but they have been around for years and provide a lifetime warranty. Even after a repeat customer discount and another 10% it was still a little over $200. They also threw in a $40 film on the rear bumper. But still, this car does have a lot of windows.

More than other cars, the C Max really needs a tint. Totally worth the money. On the first few drives before I had it done I felt like I was in a fish bowl.

I had mine done in Huber Optic Xtreme Optiks 35% all around. Except of course the windshield, which I would never tint. Colorado law is 27%+ light transmission and standard windows already have some tint, so I usually stick with 35%. Also I live in an urban environment and we have lots of jaywalkers. I need to be able to see clearly at night if I want avoid taking out a drunk hipster.

The shop I use is expensive but they have been around for years and provide a lifetime warranty. Even after a repeat customer discount and another 10% it was still a little over $200. They also threw in a $40 film on the rear bumper. But still, this car does have a lot of windows.

More than other cars, the C Max really needs a tint. Totally worth the money. On the first few drives before I had it done I felt like I was in a fish bowl.

I defy anyone to look at my windshield and tell me it has tint. :)  You can't tell its there.

I was disappointed that Ford decided not to added the privacy glass (tinted windows) to the rear windows as was done on my three previous Fords. Either way I decided to have them tinted and here are the results. I went with Suntek CXP 35% on fronts and 18% on the rears and back window. If you've tinted your C-Max lets see the pics and don't forget to mention what percentage tint you used.

attachicon.gifSide1.jpg

attachicon.gifSide2.jpg

attachicon.gifRear.jpg

Looks nice.   Wish CA would let us go darker on the front sides.  Seems like a large percent of the drivers in SoCal do it anyways.   I am thinking or doing limo tint on the hatch and rear sit windows and whatever is legal on the front sides.

They can't legally do darkened glass on the C-Max because it is classified as a "passenger car".

On the plate in the doorframe, you can see the classification.

If it were classified as a wagon, or SUV it could come from the factory with the darker rear glass.

Also - because it has that "passenger car" it is subject to most states stricter tint laws (stupid that trucks and SUVs have looser tint laws in most states - I generally dislike tint laws to begin with though).

• 3 weeks later...

I asked my dealership to toss in tint for free.  Living in Florida, it's a must.  So, my windows are as dark as the law allows.  I don't mind the white lines at all.  Due to the heat of the sun and glare, I had the strip put on the front window shield.  So even though I needed it, I am not happy that I had to do it.  It honestly closes in the feel of the car a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear from someone that used his/her C-MAX without, and then later with, the extra tinting.  I was just looking at the specs for the model, and it says that the C-MAX comes with "solar-tinted" glass.  My current vehicle came from the factory with the rear of the vehicle having the privacy glass.  So, I am not sure if not having some equivalent would really make that big of a deal, or whether it just seems like it would. 

I'd prefer not to have tinting issues that come after the tinting gets old.  Oh, and wouldn't getting the remote start option, which allows the air conditioning to cool the vehicle before entry, eliminate the need for the tinting?

I had my last car insulated with Dynamat, and that seemed to help with both heat/cold issues and road noise.  If I absolutely have to do something, I may just elect to try the Dynamat first, since that is invisible. 

I live in Miami Beach, Florida.  Some places get hotter, but our summers can be pretty bad.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Got the windows tinted yesterday, 35% on every window, including the sunroof.  Nothing on the windshield.  I think I could have gone darker, but the legal limit is actually 50% on the front windows in VA, so the front windows are actually 15% too dark.  I don't think it will be a problem, though.  There is enough sunlight coming through the sunroof, even with the extra tint and screen closed to transmit enough light in the cabin to keep it from looking too dark.  That and the HUGE windshield letting in light.  

What do you think? 

gallery_664_47_1026841.jpg

gallery_664_47_2408782.jpg

gallery_664_47_452270.jpg

gallery_664_47_123273.jpg

Edited by Hatchman

I'd like to hear from someone that used his/her C-MAX without, and then later with, the extra tinting.  I was just looking at the specs for the model, and it says that the C-MAX comes with "solar-tinted" glass.  My current vehicle came from the factory with the rear of the vehicle having the privacy glass.  So, I am not sure if not having some equivalent would really make that big of a deal, or whether it just seems like it would. 

I'd prefer not to have tinting issues that come after the tinting gets old.  Oh, and wouldn't getting the remote start option, which allows the air conditioning to cool the vehicle before entry, eliminate the need for the tinting?

I had my last car insulated with Dynamat, and that seemed to help with both heat/cold issues and road noise.  If I absolutely have to do something, I may just elect to try the Dynamat first, since that is invisible. 

I live in Miami Beach, Florida.  Some places get hotter, but our summers can be pretty bad.

I really can't think of a reason not to have tint, other than the cost.  I live in Phoenix, and got the remote start and the tint.  A real good tint, not helps with heat, but glare and offer UV protection.

My other car has had the same tint on it for 15 years and it looks as good as the day it was installed.  Good tint with good install should never have issue.

On my C-Max I have 3M Crystalline on it.  Also have the clear on the Front Windshield to help with the heat.

The hotter the interior of the car, the more work the A/C has to do to cool it which would decrease your efficiency.

I really can't think of a reason not to have tint, other than the cost.  I live in Phoenix, and got the remote start and the tint.  A real good tint, not helps with heat, but glare and offer UV protection.

My other car has had the same tint on it for 15 years and it looks as good as the day it was installed.  Good tint with good install should never have issue.

On my C-Max I have 3M Crystalline on it.  Also have the clear on the Front Windshield to help with the heat.

The hotter the interior of the car, the more work the A/C has to do to cool it which would decrease your efficiency.

We have very high humidity here.  So, things could be different from place to place.  (I often see cars go by that have more bubble than tint.)  That's my only concern.  If I don't install it, that is one less thing that could go wrong, down the line.

I just may get it done, in the end.  I just wanted to find out if anyone noticed a big difference or a not-so-big difference.

We have very high humidity here.  So, things could be different from place to place.  (I often see cars go by that have more bubble than tint.)  That's my only concern.  If I don't install it, that is one less thing that could go wrong, down the line.

I just may get it done, in the end.  I just wanted to find out if anyone noticed a big difference or a not-so-big difference.

3M has a lifetime warranty against any bubbling.

I had mine done Friday, got the Formula One Pinnacle stuff. Nothing on the sunroof, 6" strip on the front, 35% all the way around the rest. I'll see if I can get some picks soon. I'd kinda like to get some clear on the front and sunroof, something that blocks IR and UV only would be nice.

The good stuff, correctly installed, never has bubbling issues. Window tint is one of those areas where you pretty clearly get what you pay for.