Karma, baby!

spyburn

The first 15 miles or so of my daily morning commute takes me down a rolling, winding highway with lots of blind curves and a 55 mph speed limit.  Even at 55, it’s a fun road to drive (as long as you are awake).  This morning was foggy and cool, in the upper 60’s for the first time in months.  I was happily tooling along at the speed limit, in no particular hurry to begin the daily grind, with plenty of time to arrive at work before my staff meeting. :arrive_alive:

As I was approaching another blind curve, a black car comes flying up behind me and passes me in the blind curve (a no passing zone of course) traveling at least 85.  I don’t know what kind of car it was – the badges had all been removed and the car was painted flat black.  It sounded like a chainsaw.  Knowing this road is heavily traveled, I slowed considerably in case the “little chainsaw that could” encountered a car coming around the curve in the other direction – which it did.  The chainsaw car never even hit the brakes and the other car ran off the road and into the ditch. :gaah:

I stopped and ran across the road to check on the officer sitting in his patrol car in the ditch.  My first thought was “when did we start giving licenses and side arms to 12 year olds?”  The poor kid didn’t look like he even shaved yet,   :baby:  although I think he aged quite a bit at the close call.  On the positive side, if your life flashes before your eyes in moments such as this, his flashback sure didn’t take long!  His hands were shaking on the wheel and he was blinking a lot, but he started to get a grip shortly.  He was fine and he called it in.  I stayed with him for maybe 10 minutes until I was sure he was okay, then headed down the road toward work.

I was thrilled to find the “little chainsaw that could” about 10 miles down the road, surrounded by 4 patrol cars.  A rather disgruntled-looking handcuffed young man glared at an officer who was holding up 2 baggies – one appeared to have an oregano-like substance inside and the other a white powdery substance.  :yahoo:

So boys and girls…..what have we learned from the events of this morning?

That driving like a maniac will get you arrested for drug possession?  That speeding and passing in a blind curve is a bad idea?  That running a cop off the road isn’t smart?  Why no!  What we’ve learned is that stopping to render aid to an officer who has been in a wreck is not a good enough excuse to be 15 minutes late to a staff meeting and you will spend the rest of the week in the doghouse. :dogwalk:

Sigh…..no good deed goes unpunished. But I am comforted by the knowledge that one more maniac is off the road…for a few hours anyway.

On the positive side....while not paying attention in the staff meeting I think I learned how to use emoticons and I entertained myself! :woohoo:  

My hat's off to you Shelly :hat_tip: , the officer was in some state of shock, and likely needed all of your help to steady his nerves - miracle no one was hurt. Shows how important it is to know what is happening in the old rear view mirrors.  Nick

PS  and I nominate you for best use of emoticons for this week.

Edited by C-MaxSea