Doors opening even though locked and car is in motion

Wife was sitting in the backseat, and happened to accidentally snag the door handle and the door swung open while we were in motion!!

The doors auto-locked when the car started movement.   I manually locked (pressed the lock button on the driver door) and asked her to try to open the door.  She was able to open the door.

This is a serious safety issue.  I'm concerned the kids will open the door while I'm driving.

I guess because there's no manual lock mechanism, that's just how it works.  The locks on the C-Max are to keep people outside out, not to keep people in.

If you want the doors to not be able to be opened, you'll have to use the child locks.  Which is annoying b/c then they can't ever be opened from inside, but at least then the kids won't go flying out going down the highway.

FYI, there was a recall on the child lock for the left rear door for vehicles manufactured in November, 2012.

HhMm maybe a visit to your dealership?

We have to pull the rear inside handle twice when the doors are locked.

Same as the bmw's we've owned, maybe all European cars require 2 pulls when locked?

wab

Yep, that's accurate on mine too... I have to pull the handles twice when the doors are locked, once to unlock, then again to open.  locot, if that's not how yours are working, then definitely take it in for service.

That's the way the doors are designed to work.  On every car I have owned the door locks worked that way as well.  I THINK some import cars do require you to unlock the doors before they will open from the inside but not sure about that.

Activating the child locks will prevent the rear doors from opening when locked as others have already posted, but only for the rear doors.