That darn squeek is gone!

Since the day I picked up my C-Max, there was a slight squeek when I would go over bumps.  I especially noticed it at low speeds and when hitting a bump at an angle.  During the FE update I mentioned it to my service advisor, yet I really didn't expect much.  He noted it and sent it over to the technician.  The technician was able to easily duplicate it.  I had thought that the noise was from the driver's door, the technician thought it was coming from outside.

Over 3 days, he tore apart the door and front suspension and couldn't track down the noise.  They gave the C-Max back since they didn't have a loaner at that time and scheduled me to come back.  I dropped it off again early last week.  The technician once again tore the car apart.  He lubed every joint he could get to and it still squeeked.  The only point he couldn't lube was the sealed struts.  He ordered and replaced both of those, performed an alignment, and yet the squeek remained.  He then had a conference call with some technicians over at HQ and they couldn't figure it out.

After all this work and time, the technician continued to go after the squeek.  Today he finally found the cause!   It was the cross member that ties into the door hinge area for crash protection.  He unbolted it and correctly torqued it from the driver's side and the squeek stopped!!  They updated the Ford Service system with the information and it should go out to all dealerships.

Hopefully this post may help someone else here or another Ford service technician trying to track down a squeek :)

Mine too, fotomoto - plus I have a rattle behind me I can't identify.  Really annoying.  And I don't want to take it in to have it looked at because I don't want to leave it with them.

Don't know if this applies, but I had a rattle behind me, and it was the rear seatbelt that had come out of the bracket on the top of the rear seat.

Mine too Liz! It was on the passenger side. Jerry was riding with me the other day and I asked if he could locate it. He listened for a bit, told me to pull over, and found the seatbelt out of the guide. Seatbelt back in guide = rattle gone!

Don't know if this applies, but I had a rattle behind me, and it was the rear seatbelt that had come out of the bracket on the top of the rear seat.

Just a couple observations on our Stealth Fighter & squeaks. 

Chatting with my wife I was reminded that you can potentially hear more 'stuff' wiggling/rubbing/chaffing (and there is a lot of 'stuff') in a C-Max because it is so quiet in EV.  In non hybrids, having the 'white noise' drone of a continuously running ICE crowds out / muffles a lot of tiny noises - not the louder noises, of course.  I'm sure that is one reason for the sound canceling system in the C-Max. 

Also, driving my VW Eurovan to work yesterday, and listening to a very nice distinct undercarriage squeak, I was reminded of the time of year ahead of us.  All of my vehicles over time have always found a way to squeak more as Fall sets in.  Yikes, hate to say that word, but it is approaching - SQUEAK !

Former clunker driver?

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I throughly enjoy driving an EV/hyrid with the audio off whenever I can.  My Volt was awesome at this.  

Anyway, that's why I know it happened after the update.  They are squeaks; definitely not a rattle.  Think of grabbing an empty styrofoam egg carton on each end and gently and slowly twisting in opposite directions.  

I throughly enjoy driving an EV/hyrid with the audio off whenever I can.  My Volt was awesome at this.  

Anyway, that's why I know it happened after the update.  They are squeaks; definitely not a rattle.  Think of grabbing an empty styrofoam egg carton on each end and gently and slowly twisting in opposite directions.  

:gaah: EEK, that makes me think of fingernails on a chalkboard....

Ever since the headliner update, mine sounds like creaking styrofoam when the car is flexed/twisted.  For example: turning into a steep driveway when the wheels at are different heights or one wheel track goes slowly over a large speed bump.

Foto, I would not be the least bit surprised at a headliner squeak.  Take it in and have them check to see that all attachment points are fully secured. (you may want to run your hand across the headliner checking for a loose connection point)

I had the distinct pleasure of installing a new sun-shade in ours a couple months ago - the original had a stain.  With utmost caution, I had to remove pillar trim, sun visors, hand-holds, control panel........ and suspend the entire headliner, so I could slide the sunshade through from back to front.  Everything has to go back in a general order and screw or snap back in place.  I only lost (& replaced) one or two screws - victory!    Nick  

Edited by C-MaxSea

Just a quick update on this issue...  I brought the car home yesterday and the squeak hasn't happened since.  I did find a problem from the adjustment though.  The passenger door was rubbing the front fender when opening.  I took it back to the dealership and the technician noticed a slight mis-alignment of the door.  It was sticking out slightly from the fender. The paint was rubbed off from me opening the door trying to find the source of the noise.  They took it around to their body shop and corrected it within minutes.  If you do happen to have this adjustment done, check the panels to ensure that they are lining up properly and that the doors do not rub.

Note - I have to commend the users of this forum!  At this moment, there have been 86 views and 10 replied.  Not once did we have the grammer/spelling police drop in to correct my misspelling of squeak :thumbsup:

Edited by FoutsNC

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Since the day I picked up my C-Max, there was a slight squeek when I would go over bumps.  I especially noticed it at low speeds and when hitting a bump at an angle.  During the FE update I mentioned it to my service advisor, yet I really didn't expect much.  He noted it and sent it over to the technician.  The technician was able to easily duplicate it.  I had thought that the noise was from the driver's door, the technician thought it was coming from outside.

Over 3 days, he tore apart the door and front suspension and couldn't track down the noise.  They gave the C-Max back since they didn't have a loaner at that time and scheduled me to come back.  I dropped it off again early last week.  The technician once again tore the car apart.  He lubed every joint he could get to and it still squeeked.  The only point he couldn't lube was the sealed struts.  He ordered and replaced both of those, performed an alignment, and yet the squeek remained.  He then had a conference call with some technicians over at HQ and they couldn't figure it out.

After all this work and time, the technician continued to go after the squeek.  Today he finally found the cause!   It was the cross member that ties into the door hinge area for crash protection.  He unbolted it and correctly torqued it from the driver's side and the squeek stopped!!  They updated the Ford Service system with the information and it should go out to all dealerships.

Hopefully this post may help someone else here or another Ford service technician trying to track down a squeek :)

Just a quick update on this issue...  I brought the car home yesterday and the squeak hasn't happened since.  I did find a problem from the adjustment though.  The passenger door was rubbing the front fender when opening.  I took it back to the dealership and the technician noticed a slight mis-alignment of the door.  It was sticking out slightly from the fender. The paint was rubbed off from me opening the door trying to find the source of the noise.  They took it around to their body shop and corrected it within minutes.  If you do happen to have this adjustment done, check the panels to ensure that they are lining up properly and that the doors do not rub.

Note - I have to commend the users of this forum!  At this moment, there have been 86 views and 10 replied.  Not once did we have the grammer/spelling police drop in to correct my misspelling of squeak :thumbsup:

XXX DO NOT GOOGLE squeek XXX 

With a referal like that, how can one resist!

After all, there's nothing obviously amiss with the iTunes app of that name, although my employer's web filters prevent me from reading the urban dictionary's definition beyond Google's blurb, which is enough to understand your recommendation...

Frank

Nearly a year later on this reply but I found it was the weather seals on the doors making the noise.  A quick shot of lubricating silicone spray makes them go away.  

• 1 year later...

It's another year later since the last post, but adding one more issue with resolution to this list.

I brought in my 4-month old Cmax for a program update, and mentioned that it would go squeaky-squeaky-squeaky (sounded like it was coming from the front of the driver door/dash area) whenever I went over a slightly bumpy road. I tried driving with the window open, but didn't go away (so not the window-frame fuzz-based squeak some others described).

I brought in the car to Ford service a bit low on gas (30 miles left)... and when I got it back, there were only 4 miles left on the tank. They said it took them quite a while to find the source!  Ended up being a loose bracket under the 12V battery.housing, which wasn't tightened to spec at the factory.

Hoping the squeak is (and stays) gone!

It's another year later since the last post, but adding one more issue with resolution to this list.

I brought in my 4-month old Cmax for a program update, and mentioned that it would go squeaky-squeaky-squeaky (sounded like it was coming from the front of the driver door/dash area) whenever I went over a slightly bumpy road. I tried driving with the window open, but didn't go away (so not the window-frame fuzz-based squeak some others described).

I brought in the car to Ford service a bit low on gas (30 miles left)... and when I got it back, there were only 4 miles left on the tank. They said it took them quite a while to find the source!  Ended up being a loose bracket under the 12V battery.housing, which wasn't tightened to spec at the factory.

Hoping the squeak is (and stays) gone!

Pretty odd to correct a front left squeak by repairing a 12v battery housing in the right rear!

Pretty odd to correct a front left squeak by repairing a 12v battery housing in the right rear!

Riiiight... good point.

The paper that my hubby got back from the dealership says the squeak was from the 'battery housing bracket'.

Maybe they meant the housing for the rectangular thing under the hood that has the small red (+) terminal to the battery?  (Since that's in the squeak-sound area, and is the olde tyme spot for a 12v battery?)

On the plus side, I'm very happy the squeak was solved quickly (the car was returned the same day). On the minus side, I'm now not sure that this Ford Service is familiar with C-maxes.

Edited by Red