Gas Pods and Fuelly

catsailor

Will Susane at Gas Pods take my Fuelly recordings as I have listed when I started 13B07 and have now over 2400 miles since I made the upgrade. I don't want to be a skeptic but now that I am driving above 65 mph on the HWY I feel that these devices may give me a boast on my MPG. I think that I am over 46.5 mpg total since 13B07 was installed. I have reached out to Gas Pods to see if I can get in the test program with my Fuelly numbers and hope that somebody here can shed any light on the product or the test program. I have already read MTB's thread and I don't think his driving habits and mine are on the same par. I consistently go over 47 mpg per tank on my car's computer.

Will Susane at Gas Pods take my Fuelly recordings as I have listed when I started 13B07 and have now over 2400 miles since I made the upgrade. I don't want to be a skeptic but now that I am driving above 65 mph on the HWY I feel that these devices may give me a boast on my MPG. I think that I am over 46.5 mpg total since 13B07 was installed. I have reached out to Gas Pods to see if I can get in the test program with my Fuelly numbers and hope that somebody here can shed any light on the product or the test program. I have already read MTB's thread and I don't think his driving habits and mine are on the same par. I consistently go over 47 mpg per tank on my car's computer.

Not sure if you will hear from her directly.  She doesn't regularly monitor the forum I think.  I haven't heard from her in awhile.  I have a set of nine gaspods I'm not using.  They are black and mount using a super sticky adhesive.  I'd be happy to forward them to you if you like? LMK.

I ordered today from her the magnetic ones in white. She accepted my Fuelly logs which lessens the cost to play. I am a sailor and a hydrodynamics trained mechanical engineer so I know what this stuff is about. If these thing kick in and add 1 MPG it will be great. I have also logged +2300 since 13B07 at 46.8 mpg on my car's computer so you can see why I am willing to give it a try PLUS Ford is re-designing the spoiler so they already know that this is a bugaboo with the old design. Everybody can't be punch drunk on her website. I am not pre-Podded :)

will gladly share results knowing I am going into fall cooler weather.

I came very close to getting these.  I decided to wait to see if there would be mods available for the 2013 model C-MAX that would allow upgrades to the aerodynamic features of the 2014.  Apparently, this will not be the case (per the answer posted from the Twitter feed thread).  So, I am going to take another look at these before making my next big road trip.

Even with the discount from participating in the program, they get to be pretty pricey if you get them painted.  So, I go back and forth about the idea.

...will gladly share results knowing I am going into fall cooler weather.

There's a way around temperature change effects when making an update. Record mileage along with temperature over consistent routes for several weeks before the update. You'll get a natural change in temperature this time of year, and the before/aftrer ranges will overlap.

Plot the data, MPG vs. Temp.

post-1320-0-37348700-1380241997_thumb.jpg

My curves look like this since Labor Day (month 2 with the car). These are two commuting routes, one 15 miles at 35-45 mph speed limits with 6 stop signs and 11 stop lights, the other 20 miles at 55-65 speed limits, with a couple lights at each end. One route is to the C-Max's advantage - lots of regen and mild hills - the other more typically "American" freeway driving. EPA ratings and the historical MPG from the previous driver, first 8K miles.

If I were to make a change, like the PCM update we're getting, and it had no effect, the data would overlap on days the temperature was the same as prior days, and the trend would have similar characteristics (linearity, slope/intercept). All from logging what the car tells you at the end of consistent round-trips. Granted, I've also had a great string of dry weather, making the data well behaved.

Have fun,

Frank

Do you have at least a year of driving the CMAX under your belt (i.e., all 4 seasons) so you won't be comparing apples to oranges?

15,200 miles and yes picked up car last Sept 24 th 2012 and also recorded +2000 miles with 13B07 which is also very important too. So I got this all covered.

what intrigues me is what mtb has said that his rear hatch, bumper and glass are cleaner now with his pods installed which tells me his airflow is not turbulent coming off his spoiler. This is a good sign.

15,200 miles and yes picked up car last Sept 24 th 2012 and also recorded +2000 miles with 13B07 which is also very important too. So I got this all covered.

what intrigues me is what mtb has said that his rear hatch, bumper and glass are cleaner now with his pods installed which tells me his airflow is not turbulent coming off his spoiler. This is a good sign.

I'm not saying it is perfectly clean, but certainly better than without gaspods. I feel the air flow is much cleaner now coming off my rear bumper. Edited by mtb9153

post-143-0-83302500-1380310510_thumb.jpg

Installed my GasPods today approximately 7" before the rear edge. Made sure they don't interfere with hatchback motion and don't hit roof. Will experiment moving them to 10" before the rear to see if there is any difference. They are nice looking units and only took a few days to receive after ordering! Keeping them black for now as wife thinks they match the trim ;) . Paul

attachicon.gifGas Pods PTJ.JPG

Installed my GasPods today approximately 7" before the rear edge. Made sure they don't interfere with hatchback motion and don't hit roof. Will experiment moving them to 10" before the rear to see if there is any difference. They are nice looking units and only took a few days to receive after ordering! Keeping them black for now as wife thinks they match the trim ;) . Paul

Paul - Welcome to our Test Team. We're enthusiastic about your experimentation, and curious to see how your placement adjustments 7" from the rear roof line, to 10" from the rear roof line, compare with that of mtb9153 and  catsailor. Both dialing in placement of GasPods on the CMAX a little further back than our instructions. I'm sure catsailor can explain this better than I, but I think that the curves of the CMAX rear, between arrows in the attached picture, are moving the rear measurement point, sweet spot, back to 1"-2" from the rear roof line.

2013-ford_cmax._3735.jpg

Not sure if you will hear from her directly.  She doesn't regularly monitor the forum I think.  I haven't heard from her in awhile.  I have a set of nine gaspods I'm not using.  They are black and mount using a super sticky adhesive.  I'd be happy to forward them to you if you like? LMK.

mtb9153 - I didn't mean to appear absent. I was on a long needed vacation driving around the Big Island of Hawaii. Unfortunately, Avis supplied us with a Ford Fiesta. If it had been a CMAX I would post pictures here.

Paul - Welcome to our Test Team. We're enthusiastic about your experimentation, and curious to see how your placement adjustments 7" from the rear roof line, to 10" from the rear roof line, compare with that of mtb9153 and  catsailor. Both dialing in placement of GasPods on the CMAX a little further back than our instructions. I'm sure catsailor can explain this better than I, but I think that the curves of the CMAX rear, between arrows in the attached picture, are moving the rear measurement point, sweet spot, back to 1"-2" from the rear roof line.

2013-ford_cmax._3735.jpg

Hi susanne, I wasn't sure were the back edge was. I will move  mine back to get closer to your recommendation. I was thinking of doing a video of many colored ribbons attached to the back of hatch  to see the difference of placement of the gaspods and the air currents behind the car.  Paul 

Edited by ptjones

mtb9153 - I didn't mean to appear absent. I was on a long needed vacation driving around the Big Island of Hawaii. Unfortunately, Avis supplied us with a Ford Fiesta. If it had been a CMAX I would post pictures here.

No problem Susanne, hope you had a wonderful vacation.  My wife and I are heading to Oahu in February.  Nice that others are choosing to join the testing program.  Looking forward to hearing from them.  I am really starting to get some big AvMPG numbers and posted finally to the 600+ mile club with my sights set on the 700 club next.

Well not to be picking nits here but since you recently added the update, it's still not going to be apples to apples.  More like apples to grapples.   Off-topic: Ever had a grapple?  They're pretty good but in a weird sort of way. 

Well not to be picking nits here but since you recently added the update, it's still not going to be apples to apples.  More like apples to grapples.   Off-topic: Ever had a grapple?  They're pretty good but in a weird sort of way. 

May need to use them for a while and then take them off, we will see.  Paul

the update is +2200 miles old now, I did not order the gas pods until I had 2000 miles of fuel data to submit to Susanne with 13B07 installed. How much more data do you think I need :)

Besides I will personally know how these things work on my long road trips