Not sure what I saw

mtb9153

Today I dropped by my dealer to show them the headliner problem I have with the liner coming out from behind the wide black rubber gasket which seals the liftgate when the hatch is closed.  They took pictures to present it to Ford to see if a full headliner replacement can be done under warranty.

But this is not the topic of my thread, I'm getting off track.  When I was driving through the service area to leave the dealership I saw a Platinum White Energi sitting next to one of the service bays.  It looked like a standard 2013 CMax in every detail except for one thing and I wish I had thought to take a picture because I'll never be able to describe it well enough.  On the front stock alloy wheels there was a clear plastic looking cover over the entire wheel with small vent holes running around the radius.  Sort of a clear aero cover it appeared.  I wondered if this might be some sort of retrofit Ford is playing with to smooth the air flow over the stock alloy wheels?  Could this be a 2014 model CMax and option?  Not sure I'd want it on my car since it looked  bit cheesy and cheap.

Possibly Frontier Ford has already received a 2014 since it was on September 20th 2012 that my CMax was delivered and I bought it right off the truck the same day.

Anyway just wanted to report what I saw.  I think I'll go by again tomorrow to see if that car is still there and if so I'll take some pics.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php#c2

Smooth wheel covers are first on Ecomodder's list of "aero mods - fabrication" from pizza pans. Improved aero goes directly to the car's FE weakness (high-speed). The edge holes make me wonder if Ford is doing a functional test of brake cooling with improved passive aero, something that benefits all drivers... of course cheesy and cheap are hallmarks of the DIY hypermiler. Sure it wasn't a customer car?

Oddly enough, I just ordered 4 pans to fit the snow tires/steel wheels I'll be putting on sometime next month. I'll post pics when I get them on the car.

Have fun,

Frank