C-Max Modifiers Guide

ArizonaEnergi

Ran across this link to a Ford PDF with some interesting how-tos and technical data on the C-Max Hybrid and Energi:  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=20&cad=rja&ved=0CIsBEBYwCTgK&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorcraftservice.com%2Fcontent%2Fpdf%2F2013_CMAX_Modifer_Guide.pdf&ei=kp5NUr2eK8fniALghICgCQ&usg=AFQjCNH7bQUAIMtmg07APam1UEAs27E7ew&sig2=giB5l-G80hPrYhnLAhrR5Q&bvm=bv.53537100,d.cGE

Ford Motor Company has assembled this guide to assist vehicle modifiers in producing a safe and
quality vehicle. Ford believes safety and quality come first. To achieve customer satisfaction, we
want to assist modifiers in achieving the highest standards of safety and quality in their vehicles.

This guide is divided into topics pertinent to vehicle modifiers. References are made to the current
C-Max Hybrid/C-Max Energi Workshop Manual for appropriate service procedures, torque
specifications, component separation clearances and any other standard information common with
an unmodified vehicle. Specifications unique to this guide are designated.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

This caught my eye last week:

"Using Snow Tires and Traction Devices Note: Snow tires must be the same size and grade as originally equipped on your vehicle. The tires on your vehicle have all-weather tread to provide traction in the rain and snow; however, in some climates, using snow tires or traction devices may be necessary. Follow these guidelines when using snow tires and traction devices: • SAE Class ‘‘S’’ cables should ONLY be used on the vehicle front tires. • Install cables or chains securely, verifying that the cables or chains do not touch any wiring or brake lines. • Drive cautiously! If you hear the cables or chains rub or bang against the vehicle, stop and retighten them. If this does not work, remove the cables or chains to prevent vehicle damage. • Avoid overloading your vehicle. • Remove the cables or chains when they are no longer needed; do not use cables or chains on dry roads. • Do not exceed 48 km/h (30 mph) with tire cables or chains on your vehicle. Consult your dealer for information on other Ford approved methods of traction control."

Which contradicts the "No Tire Chains" paragraph in the owner's manual.

Look into SAE Class S.

"Class S - Regular (non-reinforced) passenger tire traction devices for vehicles with restricted wheel well clearance"

That's very different from the tire chains of my youth.

Have fun,

Frank

Probably not up to snuff for Rochester  ;)

Most people would just get some cheap cable chains. I have no plans to even buy chains for mine, I just use my 4WD F-150 if the roads get bad.

Actually, they're overkill for Rochester. We get 8' a year, but it snows almost every day, so it's an inch at a time with lots of melt/freeze. Even our big snows (only ~3') take a week to fall. We need ice tires that work on dry road.

Now, Jus's trip to the mountains is what these are made for - deep snow - because you can put them on just before you need them. Also good in Buffalo, because they can get feet of snow in hours, just like driving up a mountain, without the driving. I need ice traction all the time because I never know when I'll go from dry to ice.

And if it's a new F-150, be careful; the F-150 forums are full of folks who have to pull their ABS fuse or disconnect wheel sensor (same effect) to plow snow. Safety features run amok when it's slippery outside. Cars with traction control that can't move? The oxymoron would be humorous if it weren't true.

Have fun,

Frank

And if it's a new F-150, be careful; the F-150 forums are full of folks who have to pull their ABS fuse or disconnect wheel sensor (same effect) to plow snow. Safety features run amok when it's slippery outside. Cars with traction control that can't move? The oxymoron would be humorous if it weren't true.

It's a 1995 that I bought when I lived in Vermont. It's been my only vehicle until I bought the C-Max in June. The truck is now only for trips to the dump, picking up hay, and when the roads (and my 0.2 mile long driveway) are packed snow.