Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Recurrence of battery failure

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Owner

Owner

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationFlorida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I have had my C-Max for 9 months and have had the 12V battery go dead (4.5V) about 6 times. The ford dealer has had the car two times and could not find anything wrong. The last time on 08/26/2013 for a safety recall and the latest software was installed. The car started every day and I thought the problem was fixed. Last Saturday I pushed the unlock button on the key and nothing happened. The 12V battery was dead again. I was hoping somebody had found a fix that would last. Maybe Ford should have their employees responsible for finding the solution, drive a C-MAX for a year. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   erwhitham

erwhitham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max SEL 302a

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

JWGrayson welcome to the forum.  We drive our car very little compared to most on the forum--short hops like you.  Sometimes we don't drive it for several days.  We take the odd longer trip of a few hundred kilometers when going out of town.  We have had no battery problems (knocking on wood) and I would be some peeved if I learned that our car would suffer battery issues from being used infrequently and I would be very vocal with Ford if that was the case.  Our experience is the car works fine with intermittent and little use.  Good idea that you are letting the dealership know--make sure you get something in writing that you registered your complaint and I think the only way to get that is to insist that they check out your car for the dead battery issue.  Kudos to you for caring for your elderly mom.  We did that too and it is very draining and difficult often.  Not so many people do it anymore.

I also can drive for days never venturing more than 3 miles round trip. My C Max has had no battery problems. At my last servicing, the Service Manager said he hasn't had one case of a bad battery with the CMax. I understand that's not a valid study but did make me relax.

#43 OFFLINE   TSapp

TSapp

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAtlanta
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE Hybrid

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

I bought my CMax in December of 2012. It is a 2013 model. The morning after I drove it home, the battery was dead. One more drain not long after. The next death came 2 days before moving in late June 2013. Another happened today, Dec. 13 (yes, Friday).
Nothing was on in the car. No switches, plug-ins, lights-nothing.

Has anyone found a fix?

#44 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Greetings and Welcome

You’re in good company there have been several “FIX’s.

Some (???) seem to have worked.

Also several Ford buy backs.

Have you had your’s worked (how many times) on?

There’s a POLL in this thread.

http://fordcmaxhybri...ttery-problems/

Here’s the BIG thread, it seems that there are more than 1 cause of the dead battery.

http://fordcmaxhybri...1-battery-dead/

Good luck and hope you’re one of the lucky ones who gets there cmax fixed

wab

#45 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 348 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

TSapp, until something definitive can be done by Ford, perhaps drdiesel1's suggestion might work for you, i.e., use a battery charger to top off the battery.

#46 OFFLINE   jchaddpete

jchaddpete

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

After the battery went dead early in October (the fourth time) and after an initial battery replacement and a couple software fixes, a different Ford dealership conducted all the usual diagnostic testing and kept the vehicle for a number of days to determine if the battery would drain after it had been re-charged.  Since the battery was jump-started and the vehicle driven to the dealership (about 25 miles away), the battery was charged by the time it reached the dealership.  A Ford engineer was involved and authorized replacement of the engine wiring harness (a very costly item covered, of course, by the warranty).   Since the jump-starting was successful only by connecting directing with the LV battery in the rear, the engineer thought there could be a problem somewhere in the harness.  Supposedly, someone in New York had a similar jump-starting problem, and replacement of the wiring harness resolved the dead battery problem.  No "smoking gun" was discovered in my case, or anyone else's, and the technician stated that the engineers are simply trying out theories.  It seems that there is no universal "fix" for the LV battery issue.  Each vehicle seems to require a different approach to remedy the problem.  The Ford engineer would not authorize replacement if I was in the process of the buy-back option per Arizona's Lemon Law.  Since I really like the C-Max in every other way, I indicated that I would give Ford one more chance at fixing the battery problem.  Replacing the wiring harness was a very difficult job for the technician, who was amply qualified to work on Ford hybrids.  It took a couple of days, and the car was kept for two more to observe that everything worked properly.

Anyway, I've had the vehicle back for nearly two months with no dead battery issues.  I bought a cheap 12v. digital tester that can be plugged into one of the 12 volt outlets and have kept a log of my driving habits.  I drive a combination of very short distances and several between 15-25 miles.  Voltage when the vehicle is undriven for 24 hrs. or so is usually 11.8-12.0 after I've waited until all the dash lights have gone off.  After driving the car, the voltage is usually 12-3-12,4,  My voltage gauge may not be very accurate since it cost less than $10.00, but I would feel better if the readings were higher.  When I connect a battery charger to the LV battery, the reading is between 75%-80% state of charge--which would be about normal for my driving habits.

So far so good.  I'm taking the car in for an oil change next week and will discuss my readings with the technician.  If I have no problems for a couple more months, I'll feel that the problem was finally resolved and will have regained confidence in the vehicle's reliability.  I really hope that happens since I do enjoy driving the car.  If there is a change, I'll so indicate with another posting. 

• JAZ likes this

#47 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

jchadpete

Thanks for posting a lot of helpful information.

I do not think anyone else in the forum has written about a problem jumping the car from the front terminals (under the front hood) as opposed to at the battery itself in the rear of the car.

One thing you mentioned caught my eye: The engineer's statement that he/she would not authorize a buy back. That is not how the decisions are made at Ford. The decisions are not made by engineers but by a special "reacquired vehicles team" that investigates the case. Also, the relevant state law in Arizona defines the terms for a buy back or replacement by the number of repair attempts (4) or days that the vehicle is out of service because it is in the shop and/or broken (30).

You do have the right to keep letting Ford have another chance to fix the problem, but Ford does not have the right to refuse a buy back because they think they are about to discover the needed fix.

#48 OFFLINE   HPRifleman

HPRifleman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationChicagoland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Voltage when the vehicle is undriven for 24 hrs. or so is usually 11.8-12.0 after I've waited until all the dash lights have gone off.

That voltage seems a bit low. It should be more like 12.4v or more.

#49 OFFLINE   jonathan3d

jonathan3d

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • Locationutah
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Our 2013 C-Max SE was dead again this morning. It happened at least three times last year. The dealer installed a new battery and it worked fine for about six months until now. From the forum, it appears Ford still has not solved this problem. No wonder C-Max sales are declining. Although we love the car for the most part, this problem prevents us from recommending it to anyone else.

#50 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Our 2013 C-Max SE was dead again this morning. It happened at least three times last year. The dealer installed a new battery and it worked fine for about six months until now. From the forum, it appears Ford still has not solved this problem. No wonder C-Max sales are declining. Although we love the car for the most part, this problem prevents us from recommending it to anyone else.

jonathan3d,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

• Lil_One likes this

#51 OFFLINE   lakeladyar

lakeladyar

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationArkansas
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

I just had my first dead battery this week.  My husband had to jump it.  I took it into the dealer mostly because The clock wouldn't let me reset and the windows wouldn't go up unless I held the button.  They acted like this had never happened before.  Now I'm worried after reading everything here.

#52 OFFLINE   eloquentgina

eloquentgina

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:C-max

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

My battery died the 2nd day off the lot. So far my car has died 6 times!!! Today at 4am is the most current... Last Friday I took my car in for the 3 recalls. In which, 1 was for the battery and supposedly it was fine. Not sure what else to do!!! Frustrated!!!!

#53 OFFLINE   eloquentgina

eloquentgina

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:C-max

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

My battery died the 2nd day off the lot. So far my car has died 6 times!!! Today at 4am is the most current... Last Friday I took my car in for the 3 recalls. In which, 1 was for the battery and supposedly it was fine. Not sure what else to do!!! Frustrated!!!!

#54 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

I just had my first dead battery this week.  My husband had to jump it.  I took it into the dealer mostly because The clock wouldn't let me reset and the windows wouldn't go up unless I held the button.  They acted like this had never happened before.  Now I'm worried after reading everything here.

Hi lakeladyar and eloquentgina,

Are you currently having dead battery concerns? If you are, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the dealer your C-Max is at, and I'll lend a hand. 

Ashley

#55 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

There is a lot of information in the Forum section on Maintenance, TSBs, Recalls on the battery thread. In addition to the reprogramming called for in the recent "recall", there have also been problems with bad electrical connectors and bad ground wiring of the body control module, and these have possibly caused some dead 12 volt batteries. If you read through the thread you will find a list Ford TSB's telling dealers to look for these problems when confronted with symptoms like a dead 12 volt battery. You probably need to tell the dealer to check these things. You might be best served by taking your car to a different and hopefully better dealer service department. Some are better than others.

#56 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hi lakeladyar and eloquentgina,

Are you currently having dead battery concerns? If you are, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the dealer your C-Max is at, and I'll lend a hand. 

Ashley

Why do you insists to have this a private matter instead of an open forum discussion ?

#57 OFFLINE   Jon Beasley

Jon Beasley

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Our C-Max is my wife's 'driver', and we purchased it because we had so many miles on our other vehicles - wanted ONE reliable vehicle in our personal fleet.  Although we initially enjoyed the solid build and practicality of this vehicle, it is approaching lemon status.  It is currently in the shop for the 3rd time with the exact same problem - battery completely drained for no apparent reason other than "software".  It's been through two TSDs, and now we're on to a "Customer Satisfaction Whatever-the-$%&@ they're calling it".  My wife is 100% done with it, so now I'm stuck with this thing after we get it back from the dealer.

What irks the hell out of me is that Ford puts these TSDs out to the dealers and communicates NOTHING to the owners...just waits for the owners to get stranded.  If this is a random problem with the C-Max then why not communicate with the owners who have had multiple issues?  Our dealer offers no rental (even though we have a reliable standby Chevy Uplander with 180K miles), and obviously we're spending lots of time and fuel screwing around with picking up our "new" vehicle.  Our dealer service mgr. appears to empathize and appear as frustrated as we are, but he does nothing to really help us out - no offer for a rental, no offer to drop the car off at our house, etc.  Like everyone else, we don't have time in our busy days to be dealing with a "science project" like this. 

This whole thing has been ridiculous.  So we will get our car back tomorrow or Tuesday and will be sitting ducks until it dies for the 4th time.  If it occurs before the end of March, we will file under the IN Lemon Law. 

#58 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationHendersonville, NC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energy

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

In reply to Drdiesel regarding using a pm...I understand that private messages may defeat the benefit of having a forum to share problems and solutions, but they have their place, I had a tough problem on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.  The private message system allowed me to provide personal information (including my past vehicle purchases) and my vin number.  Within 2 days Ford sent an engineer to my dealer and corrected the problem. They have also answered questions regarding proprietary information that I agreed not to post! They will open a case and go to bat for you as an individual.  Were the information is helpful to us all they usually post it. I have had a similar great experience with them on the Explorer site when I had narrow questions about my 2.0 Ecoboost.

Edited by PJFW8, 20 January 2014 - 09:17 AM.

• MomsHugs likes this

#59 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Why do you insists to have this a private matter instead of an open forum discussion ?

drdiesel1,

I request things via a PM so you guys don't have to share personal info, such as your phone number, publicly on the forum. :)

...  What irks the hell out of me is that Ford puts these TSDs out to the dealers and communicates NOTHING to the owners...just waits for the owners to get stranded.  If this is a random problem with the C-Max then why not communicate with the owners who have had multiple issues?  Our dealer offers no rental (even though we have a reliable standby Chevy Uplander with 180K miles), and obviously we're spending lots of time and fuel screwing around with picking up our "new" vehicle.  Our dealer service mgr. appears to empathize and appear as frustrated as we are, but he does nothing to really help us out - no offer for a rental, no offer to drop the car off at our house, etc.  Like everyone else, we don't have time in our busy days to be dealing with a "science project" like this.  ...

Jon Beasley,

Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

Edited by FordService, 20 January 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#60 OFFLINE   Jon Beasley

Jon Beasley

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

drdiesel1,

I request things via a PM so you guys don't have to share personal info, such as your phone number, publicly on the forum. :)

Jon Beasley,

Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

Ashley,

I can't find your e-mail (and not a Twitter user).  When I try to e-mail you through your profile, it says something to the effect that I haven't posted more than 5x and will not allow me to send a message.

Thanks,

Jon

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·