Recurrence of battery failure

jchaddpete

Ashley, as a prospective CMAX buyer I am glad to see you are helping people out with these issues.  More importantly I am glad some of them are following up and posting their experience here.  I really want a CMAX but this 12V battery thing has me concerned.  You following up helps.  Thanks.

Like any forum and threads such as these, the focus is on the problem but there is also a silent majority out there with no battery issues, such as myself who purchase an Oct 2012 built CMax or Brother Mike. If you also look in the Article, News section, even the Tesla S are having 12V issues as well. Whether you decide on a CMax because of this battery issue or not, its up to you to decide but I cannot stress how important it is to find a GREAT and KNOWLEDGEABLE Ford dealer in your area, even if you have to go out a wee bit out of the way as, unfortunately, not all Ford dealers are up to scrap. A lot of the frustration lies with the dealers as well, so find a good one.

This is a phenomenal vehicle, and its more than met my expectation in terms of reliability, technology and MPGs - but I am backed up by a SUPERB dealer, Galpin Ford in Van Nuys. Good luck with the decision  :)

• 2 weeks later...

No one has ever said anything like this to me.  My commute to work is only 8.6 miles, so almost all my driving is short distances.  I wonder if the C-Max owners who are experiencing the battery problems are those whose typical driving patterns involve short trips.

I have a trickle-charger for the battery.  I've been thinking of hooking it up, say, every Friday evening in an attempt to prevent any more dead batteries.

I drive 35 miles to work each way - and mine died for 3rd time today

No one has a solution

This is so frustrating - love the little Cmax, but if your car won't start, its not a car

3 times I have found my car dead, and the dealer always asks if I left a light on, all patches and now 2 new batteries.  I take it in tomorrow for a third one?

Anyone have info or success with California Lemon Laws

Driven Fords my entire life - very dissappointed

This is so frustrating - love the little Cmax, but if your car won't start, its not a car

3 times I have found my car dead, and the dealer always asks if I left a light on, all patches and now 2 new batteries.  I take it in tomorrow for a third one?

Anyone have info or success with California Lemon Laws

Driven Fords my entire life - very dissappointed

Tim -

Take a look at the Lemon Law & Buy Back Info and Experience thread at http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3114-lemon-law-buy-back-info-and-experience/  , particularly the posts by salman.

This has happened to me on 3 separate occasions and have had a software update and all the recalls performed. The last time was about 4 months ago and have not had a problem since the last update.

I am putting up with it since I do love the Cmax but I may explore lemon laws here in AZ if it does happen the next time. Like I said though it has worked the last 4 months. I do leave my iPod plugged in but it doesn't seem to be the issue. The only downfall is since the last update the clock on the center info screen will not allow me to reset it. It just goes on its own Ford Galaxie time, see what I did there? The clock next to the speedo works correctly however, and changes when you reset it.

Any radio button problems on any SE’s?

Interesting post on the other C-Max forum.

“Unlucky

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

If you can't change the preset for button zero on your radio, that is a defect and the radio needs to be replaced.  In fact, my zero button was causing a small short which drained the 12 volt battery after not using the car for 3 days, which should not happen because the car turns everything off automatically.  It took the local dealership 5 days to find the short.  After they replaced the radio, I can program the zero button and have not lost power.”

http://cmaxhybridowners.com/topic/475-radio-preset-for-button-0-does-not-program/?do=findComment&comment=1043  Post #5

Any radio button problems on any SE’s?

Interesting post on the other C-Max forum.

“Unlucky

If you can't change the preset for button zero on your radio, that is a defect and the radio needs to be replaced.  In fact, my zero button was causing a small short which drained the 12 volt battery after not using the car for 3 days, which should not happen because the car turns everything off automatically.  It took the local dealership 5 days to find the short.  After they replaced the radio, I can program the zero button and have not lost power.”

http://cmaxhybridowners.com/topic/475-radio-preset-for-button-0-does-not-program/?do=findComment&comment=1043  Post #5

What is the zero button?

What is the zero button?

that's what I'd like to know.  My MFT was totally wigged out today.  Rebooted itself then screen went black and came back up after a long boot then I had nothing from my iphone or the radio.  None of the buttons would do anything.  The right screen which shows the leaves was unresponsive as well.  Made a stop at the bank came back out and everything seemed fine except still I had unresponsive buttons but at least I had tunes.  Microsoft piece of crap, I'll take an applelogo_zpsc8b65504.jpg?t=1392261616 any day

Edited by mtb9153

What is the zero button?

Take a look at this link and click on the + in the lower left of the SYNC picture: 

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/?vehicle=c-max&year=2014

The MyFord radios have a keypad. :)

that's what I'd like to know.  My MFT was totally wigged out today.  Rebooted itself then screen went black and came back up after a long boot then I had nothing from my iphone or the radio.  None of the buttons would do anything.  The right screen which shows the leaves was unresponsive as well.  Made a stop at the bank came back out and everything seemed fine except still I had unresponsive buttons but at least I had tunes.  Microsoft piece of crap, I'll take an applelogo_zpsc8b65504.jpg?t=1392261616 any day

I forgot to ask you the other day, do you have any emoticons/special characters in any of your phone contacts or the name of your phone, and so you have any social media sites (facebook, or twitter) synced with your phonebook?

Rebecca

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to buy C-MAX service manual, so that I can see the wire harness, but that is hard to get. With service manual, it could help identify where the battery wire is split to different branches.  it should be easy to install some current sensor on each branch coming out of battery to detect where current is leaking to.

Unlike regular cars, C-MAX 12V battery is not charged by alternator, so that driving longer distance will not help.  It looks to me, the 12V battery is charged by inverters from high voltage battery instead.

I noticed C-MAX does not shut off 12V battery to many places when key is removed, for example, front cigarette lighter socket keeps power for a while before turning it off, rear cigarette lighter sockets never powered off. USB ports may always have power.  This design is good and bad.  If you have a solar charger always charge the 12V battery, this design will make it easier.  However, when anything goes wrong, your 12V battery will be died.

I have a 2013 C-Max Hybrid HB SE that I purchased in February 2013. The battery died the first time on 09/27/13 when the car had 4,449 miles on it.  Ford Roadside Assistance was unable to jump it; and it had to be ferried to the dealer, where they had it for two days & supposedly had applied Ford's "fix".  In December 2013 I got Customer Satisfaction Program 13B12 recall notice to apply another "fix" for this problem.  It went back to the dealer on 12/23/13 to have this "fix" applied.  On February 26, 2014 it "died" on me again (approximately 7,300 miles) and had to be ferried to the dealer.  They have had it for four days and it will be there for another two days awaiting a new electric water pump from Ford, which they "guarantee" me will fix the problem!  THERE IS OBVIOUSLY AN UNDERLYING PROBLEM WITH THE FORD C-MAX HYBRID THAT FORD IS UNABLE TO IDENTIFY.  Although I love the car, this unreliability makes the car totally undesirable.  If it dies again I am going to invoke Arizona's "Lemon Law" and get another car.

I have a 2013 C-Max Hybrid HB SE that I purchased in February 2013. The battery died the first time on 09/27/13 when the car had 4,449 miles on it.  Ford Roadside Assistance was unable to jump it; and it had to be ferried to the dealer, where they had it for two days & supposedly had applied Ford's "fix".  In December 2013 I got Customer Satisfaction Program 13B12 recall notice to apply another "fix" for this problem.  It went back to the dealer on 12/23/13 to have this "fix" applied.  On February 26, 2014 it "died" on me again (approximately 7,300 miles) and had to be ferried to the dealer.  They have had it for four days and it will be there for another two days awaiting a new electric water pump from Ford, which they "guarantee" me will fix the problem!  THERE IS OBVIOUSLY AN UNDERLYING PROBLEM WITH THE FORD C-MAX HYBRID THAT FORD IS UNABLE TO IDENTIFY.  Although I love the car, this unreliability makes the car totally undesirable.  If it dies again I am going to invoke Arizona's "Lemon Law" and get another car.

LGroveAZ,

Let me help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see what I can do.

Ashley

“Unlucky

Very interesting.  I have noticed that I also am unable to program button zero on my radio (set a preset on button zero, or station 10 whichever way you want to look at it).  In addition, I have had tremendous problems with dead batteries, having had my 12v battery die 6 times, twice after having 13B12 applied on 24 December 13.  I wonder if I can talk my dealer into replacing my radio?

DRdiesel1,  I bought the charger you recommended last fall.  Great suggestion.  I have had only 1 12v battery failure on my Energi and that was one week after I picked it up in July.  I charged the 12v battery last in October.  Yesterday I checked it after charging the HVB,  The 12v battery showed an soc of 67.  I forgot to note the voltage. I charged it to 100% in about 3 hours. Does this seem ok? Anything else I should check?  Thanks. I really appreciate your presence on this forum.

This morning was the 3rd time I had to jumpstarted my CMax hybrid after recalls (powertrain, headliner, and turn off all components so no draining on 12V battery).  Before recalls, I had to jumpstarted the 1st and 2nd time, and the dealership replaced the failing battery (the 1st and 2nd time occurred when the car was less than 6000miles).  Now, it is around 21,000miles.

This 3rd time I did not see the message like "...limit speed to 80MPH" appearing on the left panel, after jumpstarting like I did on the first two times.  I guess this replaced 12V battery is not as dead yet.

I am happy to use my portable jumpstart battery with air compressor that about 6years old that I have never need to use on my previous car from another brand.

and LOL on typing this and seeing Ford advertising on their vehicles on TV.

The Enterprise (SE) has had no 12V battery problems for 8 months - then we have the battery "fix" done and now it goes dead! :gaah:

The history:

1. Car is at dealer the end of last December for body work and the 12V battery service action is called for (forget the number) so they check, replace 12V battery and do the reprogramming.  Service tech said something about how we were in danger of finding the car dead.
  2. Within a week we leave the ignition on and the car is dead - battery at 2.5 volts! :rant2:  Why isn't it smart enough to turn itself off?
  3. Start charging with my Schumacker model SSC-1500A charger which pulses on and off with car lights blinking (eek!) for several hours.  I called the dealer and the service tech thought it would eventually charge up but could take a while.  He was right.  It took many hours - it finally started charging smoothly and after many hours went to 100%.
  4. Life was good for  10 weeks.  Then, literally overnight, the car is stone dead with 3.44 volts at the under-hood charge connections.
  5. We jump in the 15 year old and go our way.
  6. (Now I'm wondering if we really left the ignition on the 1st time!)
  7. Come home and connect charger again.  Pulses a long time as before but without any lights flashing on/off.  Again it takes like 12 hours to get it charged.
  8. It has now sat for a day (while it snowed outsidehappy%20feet.gif ) at 13.1+ volts, opened the door (12.4 volts), closed door (12.6 volts), now back to 13.1; point being, there must not be any significant parasitic drain right now as the "surface charge" must still be there.  (Garage is about 55-60 F.

Will call the dealer and see what's up.

SnowStorm sure has a lot more empathy for those of you who have had battery problems! :sad:

Still crazy about the car but dead batteries start stinking real fast!

Can anyone summarize all the battery related service actions?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 2013 C-max for about 1.5 years. The battery first died 2 weeks after I bought the car and then again a couple months later. Initially the battery was replaced, but not on the second visit. The car died again in the summer- again dealer found no problem with battery. I have had the software upgrade to address battery issues in January. Now, it has died twice in the last week. Luckily, I carry a portable charger with me now. I was really hoping my last service addressed the issue, but I guess not. I see others have this issue - any advice to pass on to the maintenance techs? They seem lost.

I have had my 2013 C-max for about 1.5 years. The battery first died 2 weeks after I bought the car and then again a couple months later. Initially the battery was replaced, but not on the second visit. The car died again in the summer- again dealer found no problem with battery. I have had the software upgrade to address battery issues in January. Now, it has died twice in the last week. Luckily, I carry a portable charger with me now. I was really hoping my last service addressed the issue, but I guess not. I see others have this issue - any advice to pass on to the maintenance techs? They seem lost.

PM Ashley with your info and she will help you out. Good Idea the portable charger. Maybe the Solar Cell battery charger too. I wonder if that could eliminate the problem, band-aid,a number of members have gone to this solution. :) 

Paul 

DragonMommy,

Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help!

PM Ashley with your info and she will help you out. ...

Thanks again, Paul!

Ashley

• 3 weeks later...

I just had this happen to me today after one year of owning it (bought it March 2013).  I took it into the shop for normal service a month or two ago, so it got the latest software update installed. I am at my dad's so he got the battery charger out and after 20 minutes it was good, so I am hoping it does not cause a problem when I drive back home about 1000 miles away.  I plan on taking it to the dealer when I get home.

Time to add my name to the list of people who have experienced battery failure after the having the recall service done.  Whoever mentioned the battery in my steering wheel controls thread was right.

Brought my car home last night, all was fine.  Went to the car this morning, doors wouldn't unlock, battery completely dead.  No clue what could've caused it.  In the past I've been away for several weeks and all has been fine when I got home, but yesterday I drove it plenty.  The only think I can think of is that the last time my battery died, the temperatures at night were very close to what they currently are.  It was fine all winter with freezing temps, but last fall it was around the same.

I didn't buy one of those jumpers drdiesel mentioned last time b/c, quite honestly, I don't think it's something I should have to buy and lug around with me simply because there's an underlying problem with my car.  The car should just work.

Sad thing is how much I otherwise love this car, because damn this is annoying.

Roadside assistance is on its way now, then I'm going to drop it at the dealer.  At least this time they agreed to give me a loaner.

Ashley I'll PM you momentarily, although I'm not sure what you'll be able to do to help.

CMax-Traveler, welcome to unknown battery failure, before or after recall service was applied.

I drove one of the rental car while having the CMax in service, I think it was small Nissan pickup truck, and it had a battery volatage messurement next to the speed meter.  May be, Ford can do a software update to have this feature?

And to other readers, I am not sure if anyone has post this question, but:  Any chance that Ford remotely updating software or reading our CMax Hybrid and cause the battery drained?

CMax-Traveler, welcome to unknown battery failure, before or after recall service was applied.

I drove one of the rental car while having the CMax in service, I think it was small Nissan pickup truck, and it had a battery volatage messurement next to the speed meter.  May be, Ford can do a software update to have this feature?

And to other readers, I am not sure if anyone has post this question, but:  Any chance that Ford remotely updating software or reading our CMax Hybrid and cause the battery drained?

:worship:  "Any chance that Ford remotely updating software or reading our CMax Hybrid "

Thanks for an opportunity to insert a little humor. :lol: But first I have to go buy more aluminum foil to wrap the cmax, the dirty no good $#&& ARE NOT GOING to eavesdrop on me any more!!!

I’m back. :lol2:

They can't access the car when your phone isn’t in range.

The Energi has its own cell # so in theory they could call it.

thanks

Edited by wab

• 1 month later...

I have been away for a while now, I am back.

Just about I was thinking of wraping my Cmax with tinfoil . .. .. :)

So far, the battery have appeared to be working okay without power outtages since the last power outtage (three times has occcured with the 3rd time after the update).  One more outtage, the battery will need to be replaced just like the previous battery replacement.

One issue left with the CMax hybird:  no properly hood seal for the 2013 models.  I posted this months ago on another topic / thread.

I read that the 2014 CMax this year model building in Sep or Oct that those will have a new hood seal.  I have not seen what it looks like.  Mean while, I have inserted a rubber strip in front of flimsy vinyl factory hood seal (not really a hood seal) and the left and right sides.  And it has prevented water from entering the engine compartment (about 76%) when driving on the wet and salty road depending on the season and the other cars kick up the water from the wheels (espcially from big trucks).

• 2 weeks later...

On May 24th car was totally dead, the first time in a year.  Of course the car was hardly a week old before spending a week at the dealer for same problem.  New battery and problems with brake system.  The 24th got a new 12 volt battery.  Today, car totally dead again.  Another jump start and another trip to the dealer.  Made sure service knew wife drove car in the rain.  She agreed that the car should be reliable enough for rain but  there was a TSB on water being a problem.  She also has a chip in the USB port.  At least they do not blame that.  Wife very upset since this never has happened without warning on other cars she has owned.  In our case what really is frustrating is all the problems I had with my 2013 Fusion Hybrid.  It has started for about 6 months now but having two cars you do not trust is not good.  At least both have not died at the same time.  Instead of cash for lying about mpg they should give "Owner Frustration Compensation".  Sad part is the Ford Dealership's Service Department is one of the best we have use in 50 years of car ownership.  However, the product reliability will see that we do not purchase another Ford.