Recurrence of battery failure

jchaddpete

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if electro-magnetic ("EMI") or radio-frequency interference ("RFI") is responsible for some of these hard-to-isolate and seemingly random electrical system problems people encounter.

I know my C-MAX SE doesn't "use" WiFi bandwidth at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz (though I think I read somewhere that the Energi SEL has a built-in hotspot function?).

There are 22 visible WiFi routers I can "see" from my living room, plus garage-door openers, baby monitors, HAM radio operators, radio and TV signals, emergency response and public-safety agencies, and the like.

At the risk of thinking like a tin-foil-hat-UFO-and-government-conspiracy-theorist, there's also those, uh, "government vehicles" equipped with heavens-knows-what spy gear using heaven-knows-how-much-bandwidth-and-wattage over those "government" bands of the radio spectrum.

I hope I'm kidding about that last one, but every few days, my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse go 'offline' for a few minutes, and my cell-phone goes into "No Service" mode, so SOMETHING is out there interfering with it. And there are those EMI kill devices to shut down car electrical systems...

• 2 weeks later...

just joined this forum.  My 2013 C-Max is currently battery-dead for the 6th time since purchase Feb 2013.  After the 4th repair,  I began the paperwork under Georgia state lemon law and finally had to send the letter to Ford ( corporate)  for replacement vehicle.  I have all the necessary documentation,   certified letter copies and post office receipts.  Heck, I even have a copy of the letter I received from Ford - last December while my car was in the shop for 17 days -  telling me there MIGHT be a problem with battery drain and maybe I should have it looked at. 

I was advised yesterday by their legal rep , that Ford DECLINES to adhere to our state lemon laws and I should just "  take it back to the dealership, it's still under warrantee". 

I am completely speechless,  what am I supposed to do with an unreliable car that dies in my garage on average every 90 days?!?!?!?!     How can they just say they choose to ignore the law??!?!? 

It is sad about the continuing problem with Ford Hybrids.  I am sure that this forum has saved others from making the same mistake we did.  No more Ford products for my family.

Really?

We are not the victims of some grand Ford conspiracy.

If anything, this forum has encouraged an increasing number of potential buyers to select the models and equipment groups with the fewest reported problems as they arrange their PURCHASE of a C-MAX. 

What the Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum has accomplished is far more significant - established a real sense of community among a hugely diverse group of people all across North America who share one common interest: C-MAX.

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT a place where the disgruntled owners come only to rant and rave and claim ownership of their victimhood.

Yes, these forums have chronicled the experiences, both positive and negative, of hundreds of people buying and leasing a C-MAX.

This forum is a living body of knowledge of the collective owners and would-be owners that is helping many of us everyday by providing tips and advice (often delivered with a dose of laughter) about how to get the most from our hybrids, as well as sharing our experiences, both the good and the bad. 

Yes, some owners have serious, on-going issues with their cars. As do a small number of owners of every mass-produced vehicle.

And thankfully, there are established rules and processes already in place to protect the rights of both the buyers and the manufacturer.

Yes, some owners have successfully pursued Ford buybacks or lemon-law replacements. And by sharing their experiences here, have undoubtedly helped others achieve positive outcomes.

C-MAX issues have been and are being addressed by Ford on a continuing basis. No, maybe not as quickly as everyone would like, but the issues ARE being discovered, investigated, AND CORRECTED on a case-by-case basis.

The difficulty in diagnosing and fixing these issues is that, unlike the GM ignition-switch recalls, there is not just one single part or supplier or design or assembly-line practice that is causing every reported problem. If "it" was easy to fix, "it" would be fixed already.

The situation for any C-MAX owner, even a disgruntled one, is far from hopeless. Ford is still building the C-MAX. They have not and are not abandoning either the car or the owners. And there are still legal mechanisms in place.

No, I'm not a Ford employee, nor did I ever work for Ford, and they're not paying me to write this. I just hate to see someone mis-characterize their apparently bad ownership experience as being typical of every C-MAX owner.

Edited by kostby

Really?

If anything, this forum has encouraged an increasing number of potential buyers to select the models and equipment groups with the fewest reported problems as they arrange their PURCHASE of a C-MAX. 

What the Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum has accomplished is far more significant - established a real sense of community among a hugely diverse group of people all across North America who share one common interest: C-MAX.

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT a place where the disgruntled owners come only to rant and rave and claim ownership of their victimhood.

Yes, these forums have chronicled the experiences, both positive and negative, of hundreds of people buying and leasing a C-MAX.

This forum is a living body of knowledge of the collective owners and would-be owners that is helping many of us everyday by providing tips and advice (often delivered with a dose of laughter) about how to get the most from our hybrids, as well as sharing our experiences, both the good and the bad. 

Yes, some owners have serious, on-going issues with their cars. As do a small number of owners of every mass-produced vehicle.

And thankfully, there are established rules and processes already in place to protect the rights of both the buyers and the manufacturer.

Yes, some owners have successfully pursued Ford buybacks or lemon-law replacements. And by sharing their experiences here, have undoubtedly helped others achieve positive outcomes.

C-MAX issues have been and are being addressed by Ford on a continuing basis. No, maybe not as quickly as everyone would like, but the issues ARE being discovered, investigated, AND CORRECTED on a case-by-case basis.

The difficulty in diagnosing and fixing these issues is that, unlike the GM ignition-switch recalls, there is not just one single part or supplier or design or assembly-line practice that is causing every reported problem. If "it" was easy to fix, "it" would be fixed already.

The situation for any C-MAX owner, even a disgruntled one, is far from hopeless. Ford is still building the C-MAX. They have not and are not abandoning either the car or the owners. And there are still legal mechanisms in place.

No, I'm not a Ford employee, nor did I ever work for Ford, and they're not paying me to write this. I just hate to see someone mis-characterize their apparently bad ownership experience as being typical of every C-MAX owner.

Bravo Kostby, bravo!!!

Edited by DaveofDurham

Really?

Oh, please.  Who said anything about a "Ford conspiracy,"  grand or otherwise?  What we are talking about here is bumbling incompetence.  This problem has been going on for a year-and-a-half, and Ford seemingly can't figure it out, let alone correct it.  

"On-going issues. . ."  That's a great way to describe people buying a new car, and finding that it won't start when they go out in the morning.  That's not an "issue,"  it's a major defect.  

. . ."every mass-produced vehicle" has issues?  Un huh, but only the C Max was rated dead last by J.D. Power for initial quality.  And the C-Max's reliability is so bad that Consumer Reports won't recommend it.  Oh, sure, it's not the only car they don't recommend.  The didn't recommend Yugos or Trabants or Ford Pintos, either.  That's not much consolation.

Here's my situation:  my third battery was put in only a few weeks ago.  This morning (the Fourth of July) the battery was dead.  Of course the dealer's service department  will not be open until Monday.  But what's worse is that I was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago, and week after next, I will begin five-day-a-week chemotherapy and radiation.  The treatment will be grueling enough without going out each morning and wondering whether I'll even be able to get there.  

If Ford can't solve this problem by fixing the car, it needs to solve the problem by buying back the cars from every owner who's had the problem.  It's really that simple. 

It is amazing that a simple solution as a jumper battery will pretty much solve "battery problem"( there is nothing wrong with the battery) while Ford figures out all the possibilities for the battery getting drained. I guess some people would rather complain than solve the problem themselves. The CMAX is a GREAT CAR and I haven't any "battery problems" IMHO :) 

Paul

Here's my situation:  my third battery was put in only a few weeks ago.  This morning (the Fourth of July) the battery was dead.  Of course the dealer's service department  will not be open until Monday.  But what's worse is that I was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago, and week after next, I will begin five-day-a-week chemotherapy and radiation.  The treatment will be grueling enough without going out each morning and wondering whether I'll even be able to get there.  

If Ford can't solve this problem by fixing the car, it needs to solve the problem by buying back the cars from every owner who's had the problem.  It's really that simple. 

Sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. Prayers for you, your family, and your medical team as you undergo treatment.

I'm sure you don't want sympathy, you want solutions to your ongoing car problems.

As ptjones says, an inexpensive jumper battery pack can eliminate the uncertainty of the 12v battery being discharged and the car not starting.

Mine was less than $50, about the cost of one fill-up, or one tow-in by my local service station.

Yes, I'm being proactive. We've had a dead battery twice, and never been "stranded", because we were prepared. Prior to purchasing the jumper battery, I've always carried jumper cables and a few simple tools (screwdriver, pliers, flashlight, and now cell phone) in my car for all the 45 years I've been driving. Most often I used my cables to help other folks with a dead battery and no cables.

No, I'm not letting Ford off the hook. Ford engineers and the dealers absolutely need to properly diagnose and fix all the problems affecting a small number of vehicles, including yours.

Yes, I understand that even 99.99% reliability means nothing to you if it is your car is the 0.01 percent that won't start when you need it.

I sincerely wish you well as you pursue your buyback case with Ford.

It is amazing that a simple solution as a jumper battery will pretty much solve "battery problem"( there is nothing wrong with the battery) while Ford figures out all the possibilities for the battery getting drained. I guess some people would rather complain than solve the problem themselves. The CMAX is a GREAT CAR and I haven't any "battery problems" IMHO :)

Paul

"Pretty much" solve the battery problem, eh?  I love that adjective.  Would you jump out of an airplane with a parachute that would "pretty much" open?  Look, the first time this happened to me, I called Ford roadside assistance and the first guy they sent out tried to jump it and could not get it started. The car had to be towed.  Maybe it will start sometimes with a jumper, but that's not a solution to this problem.  

"there is nothing wrong with the battery,"  is something you ought to tell my dealer.  He's replaced the battery twice.  He evidently thought something was wrong.  

"I guess some people would rather complain than solve the problem themselves."  But of course a battery jumper doesn't necessarily solve the problem.  Maybe it's Ford that should solve the problem?  What a concept.  

It is amazing that a simple solution as a jumper battery will pretty much solve "battery problem"( there is nothing wrong with the battery) ....

But the problem with doing it yourself is that you get no record with Ford.  When I had my second incident I asked the dealer if they could make a record of it and was told "no".  I would have to bring it in.  Both times I charged the battery and went on.  But as far as Ford is concerned, I guess it never happened.  That's the downside of taking care of it ourselves - even though its much simpler as you say.

Edited by SnowStorm

I don't believe anybody thinks that Ford is not responsible to solve this issue.  What they have given you is a temporary solution to your problem of relying on your car to take you where you need to go.  You don't have to listen, you don't have to believe in their good will.  But it would get you further than screaming at Ford.  

"Pretty much" solve the battery problem, eh?  I love that adjective.  Would you jump out of an airplane with a parachute that would "pretty much" open?  Look, the first time this happened to me, I called Ford roadside assistance and the first guy they sent out tried to jump it and could not get it started. The car had to be towed.  Maybe it will start sometimes with a jumper, but that's not a solution to this problem.  

"there is nothing wrong with the battery,"  is something you ought to tell my dealer.  He's replaced the battery twice.  He evidently thought something was wrong.  

"I guess some people would rather complain than solve the problem themselves."  But of course a battery jumper doesn't necessarily solve the problem.  Maybe it's Ford that should solve the problem?  What a concept.  

I didn't say jumper battery would solve your problem, just "Pretty Much solve (your immediate ) battery problem. The batteries aren't defective just ruined by being drained down so low that it damages them, so they have to be replaced. " Would you jump out of an airplane with a parachute that would "pretty much" open? What does that have to do with starting your car? Having a jumper battery could have you on your way and you can go see your Dealer when it's convenient for you, just make sure they write a warranty ticket every time you go in. For FORD to solve these issues people do need to let FORD know they have a problem. :) 

Paul

Paul I think you've hit on something valuable. Explain please more about a warranty ticket. It seems that sometimes you don't anything after a visit or they say the customer wants on the printout. The more I read here I wonder how much of all the problems are new owner, design flaw-mechanical or software, outside supplier. And this is for BullDurham-thank you for your comments. I know that especially now to be able to express how you feel and to try and help someone else gives meaning to your life. Reduce the stress whatever way you can. You have the fight of your life on your hands. Good people here. They would fix your car if they could and you too. Lastly took an almost 97 year old cancer patient on a drive and she gets a big smile, loves the navigation. Likes to tell me the street names. It's all about perspective. God bless and hope you get the answer you need.

Paul I think you've hit on something valuable. Explain please more about a warranty ticket. It seems that sometimes you don't anything after a visit or they say the customer wants on the printout. The more I read here I wonder how much of all the problems are new owner, design flaw-mechanical or software, outside supplier. And this is for BullDurham-thank you for your comments. I know that especially now to be able to express how you feel and to try and help someone else gives meaning to your life. Reduce the stress whatever way you can. You have the fight of your life on your hands. Good people here. They would fix your car if they could and you too. Lastly took an almost 97 year old cancer patient on a drive and she gets a big smile, loves the navigation. Likes to tell me the street names. It's all about perspective. God bless and hope you get the answer you need.

Any time they do warranty work FORD gets a copy(service receipt) and then it is a permanent recorded that will show up at any FORD Dealership. This is important if any claims are to be made and FORD knows there is a problem they need to figure out. :)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Sure.  Sad.  I have tears rolling down my cheek every time I get a 60 mpg journey. 

+1,  or whenever I glance at the 48.0 mpg "lifetime" since upgrade (like I've been doing today), or when I blow the other guy away leaving the stop light because I see my lane ends just after the light (like I did today), yes, real sad. :cry:

This is so frustrating - love the little Cmax, but if your car won't start, its not a car

3 times I have found my car dead, and the dealer always asks if I left a light on, all patches and now 2 new batteries.  I take it in tomorrow for a third one?

Anyone have info or success with California Lemon Laws

Driven Fords my entire life - very dissappointed

Your dealer is not "up to snuff" on the dead battery problem with the 2013 CMax. I've been to two dealers now and neither one had heard about these problems.  I knew more than they did (thanks to this forum!).  The CA lemon law may say 3 times, but IL says 4 times into dealer without being fixed to qualify.  I'm going for the 30 business days as my car just sits dead at the dealer.  Ford will not give you any info whatsoever about lemon law rules or buybacks.  We have to find that out on our own.

Hi All.

On a third day of ownership 2013 C Max SEL made in late May 2013 with total 200 miles,( It was a leftover form 2013 model year ). the 12 v battery died. I had to jump start this car to make it go. Wonderful. Looking forward to more of these pleasures of owning my first Ford product. So I guess there is no permanent fix of 12v battery for our cars. The thing is my wife car, and I had a great deal of influence to swing her from Lexus CT hybrid to Ford c max.  She did not mind paying more for Lexus, but I insisted to go with CMAX for a size difference. One of her concerns was a reliability of it. I guess she was right....as usual.... :(   

Hi All.

On a third day of ownership 2013 C Max SEL made in late May 2013 with total 200 miles,( It was a leftover form 2013 model year ). the 12 v battery died. I had to jump start this car to make it go. Wonderful. Looking forward to more of these pleasures of owning my first Ford product. So I guess there is no permanent fix of 12v battery for our cars. The thing is my wife car, and I had a great deal of influence to swing her from Lexus CT hybrid to Ford c max.  She did not mind paying more for Lexus, but I insisted to go with CMAX for a size difference. One of her concerns was a reliability of it. I guess she was right....as usual.... :(  

dmk2000,

I am very sorry to hear that you are the latest member of the club nobody wants to join--the Ford C-Max Dead Battery Club.  All I can say is:  you have a lot of company and, from what I understand, Ford is working hard to come up with a permanent solution.  Hang in there.  Since you are a new owner you may want to start a document trail in the event you decide to use your state's Lemon Law.