13.8 GALLONS = 875.3 miles/ 63.4MPG HWY

ptjones

Here is an explanation of what it took to get 875.3 actual  miles as verified by Garmin GPS. Smart Gauge is off by 1.4% which comes out to about a .5mpg improvement. From what I have heard from other C-Max owners, this appears to be a common problem. BTW I didn't run out of gas and might have made 900mi with the remaining gas in the tank!

post-143-0-99620000-1380909856_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-12270300-1380909900_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-31426100-1380909931_thumb.jpg

• First: Fortunately a business trip to Deltona, FL gave me the golden opportunity to plan the ultimate fuel economy test trip!
  • Second: My goal was 900 mi. on a tank.
  • Third: I calculated 45mph as the average speed needed to accomplish 900 mi.
  • Fourth: Realistically, you can't drive on Interstates because it's not safe to travel between 40-45mph. In planning my route I used MapQuest and GoogleMaps trip planning to avoid Interstate highways. By using State highways I was able to save 40 mi. each way and typically the speed limit is 55mph. With less traffic I was able to drive 40-55mph.
  • Fifth: P&G (Pulse & Glide) is the strategy for max mpg, no ECO Cruise. You need to watch your Miles To Empty (MTE) to make sure you are going to make it. I started with Pulse to55-60mph and Glide to 45mph. Halfway through the trip I could see it was going to be close so I slowed down to 40mph and easily made it.

post-143-0-48178800-1380910856_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-10268300-1380910896_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-46644800-1380910926_thumb.jpg

Here is a list of MODs and explanation:

Grill Covers minimize heat loss from ICE and improve aerodynamics to improve MPGs.

post-143-0-08134700-1380910997_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-21521800-1380911052_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-89404600-1380911096_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-38738600-1380911389_thumb.jpg

Top off with Non Ethanol gas improves MPGs 1+ but is not cost effective for regular use, $4/gal vs $3.19/gal.

GasPods improve aerodynamics, not sure how much yet.

post-143-0-65212700-1380911628_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-60689800-1380911664_thumb.jpg

45psi in tires.

Covered Fog Lamps with clear carpet tape.

post-143-0-91161900-1380911719_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-27359300-1380911755_thumb.jpg

ScanGauge keeps track of Coolant Temps, Instant MPG, Air Intake Temps and RPMs.

post-143-0-87606800-1380912441_thumb.jpg

Garmin GPS keeps track of actual miles traveled, average speed and route.  It is advantageous to compare the routes between two GPSs; many times they do not use the same route! I also recommend MapQuest or GoogleMaps to plan the trip, print out directions and compare to GPS routing.

Drafting is problematic on back roads because it is hard to find a suitable drafting partner. Truckers tend to drive 65mph in 55mph speed zones and that is just too fast and stressful to achieve optimum MPGs.

Weather is important for good MPGs and I was lucky with winds light and variable and 63-84 degree temps so didn't use the AC.

I had an EV of 66% and high 90%s for brake scores.

Here is my Lifetime Score as of October 2, 2013 and it keeps going up!

post-143-0-67103500-1380912854_thumb.jpg

Here is an explanation of what it took to get 875.3 actual  miles as verified by Garmin GPS. Smart Gauge is off by 1.4% which comes out to about a .5mpg improvement. From what I have heard from other C-Max owners, this appears to be a common problem. BTW I didn't run out of gas and might have made 900mi with the remaining gas in the tank!

• First: Fortunately a business trip to Deltona, FL gave me the golden opportunity to plan the ultimate fuel economy test trip!
  • Second: My goal was 900 mi. on a tank.
  • Third: I calculated 45mph as the average speed needed to accomplish 900 mi.
  • Fourth: Realistically, you can't drive on Interstates because it's not safe to travel between 40-45mph. In planning my route I used MapQuest and GoogleMaps trip planning to avoid Interstate highways. By using State highways I was able to save 40 mi. each way and typically the speed limit is 55mph. With less traffic I was able to drive 40-55mph.
  • Fifth: P&G (Pulse & Glide) is the strategy for max mpg, no ECO Cruise. You need to watch your Miles To Empty (MTE) to make sure you are going to make it. I started with Pulse to55-60mph and Glide to 45mph. Halfway through the trip I could see it was going to be close so I slowed down to 40mph and easily made it.

Here is a list of MODs and explanation:

Grill Covers minimize heat loss from ICE and improve aerodynamics to improve MPGs.

Top off with Non Ethanol gas improves MPGs 1+ but is not cost effective for regular use, $4/gal vs $3.19/gal.

GasPods improve aerodynamics, not sure how much yet.

45psi in tires.

Covered Fog Lamps with clear carpet tape.

ScanGauge keeps track of Coolant Temps, Instant MPG, Air Intake Temps and RPMs.

Garmin GPS keeps track of actual miles traveled, average speed and route.  It is advantageous to compare the routes between two GPSs; many times they do not use the same route! I also recommend MapQuest or GoogleMaps to plan the trip, print out directions and compare to GPS routing.

Drafting is problematic on back roads because it is hard to find a suitable drafting partner. Truckers tend to drive 65mph in 55mph speed zones and that is just too fast and stressful to achieve optimum MPGs.

Weather is important for good MPGs and I was lucky with winds light and variable and 63-84 degree temps so didn't use the AC.

I had an EV of 66% and high 90%s for brake scores.

Here is my Lifetime Score as of October 2, 2013 and it keeps going up!

Did you drive that in one day using pulse and glide the entire time?  You are crazy man, nice job on that tank!

Today I temporarily installed .04 x 18" round LEXAN wheel cover to see what It would look like and function. It's to thin to center mount it but looks great, you can't even see it's there. I think maybe 1/8" will do. From what I've read it sounds like you should expect 4% improvement in MPG's. Then going from 45 to 50psi I show gain enough to go 1,000mi on a tank and average 40MPH!

Also have you coolant temps have gone up with update?  I use to be running 207-213degrees before and now 220-225degrees with Grill Covers on. It looks like the top white mark on Smart Gauge temp gauge 240-245degress with comparing ScanGauge.  Also coolant temps are lower by about 10degrees with AC on, It must be the fans running.

Paul

Ooooh, LEXAN pizza wheel covers - now we're talking, sounds interesting!  Nick

I put one on with 6 pieces of double back sticky tape and it stayed on for now. It's raining now so I will see how long It stays on. I'm going to put a screw thru the center when I get a chance to make it permanent.  Paul

Also have you coolant temps have gone up with update?  I use to be running 207-213degrees before and now 220-225degrees with Grill Covers on. It looks like the top white mark on Smart Gauge temp gauge 240-245degress with comparing ScanGauge.  Also coolant temps are lower by about 10degrees with AC on, It must be the fans running.

Paul

Doesn't that seem high to you? For all the electrical components under the hood the cooler the better as heat negatively impacts electronics. In our FFH I took the cover off during the summer because I was concerned about the heat getting too high even though our temp gauge on the dash never went above the middle line and the coolant temp according to ET Mode never went above 93 C. AC does lower the coolant temp because it keeps the grille covers open 100% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't that seem high to you? For all the electrical components under the hood the cooler the better as heat negatively impacts electronics. In our FFH I took the cover off during the summer because I was concerned about the heat getting too high even though our temp gauge on the dash never went above the middle line and the coolant temp according to ET Mode never went above 93 C. AC does lower the coolant temp because it keeps the grille covers open 100% of the time.

The top grill opening is for air into the engine compartment (electrical components) and air intake to ICE. At 213-215degress the radiator fan comes on, sometimes lower. Grill Cover blocks some where around 75-80% of air from radiator.

Very interesting and all that work.  How about folding or removing those outside mirrors?  Obvious lumps in the wind.  The VW DID guys try something on them.

I have also looked at that to, someone on different thread apparently took the mirrors off and said it wasn't that hard. I have thought about using a small CCD camera and video display instead, but will take sometime to develop.

Paul

Edited by ptjones

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

This is my first post. in March I got my blue C-Max Hybrid SE. My lifetime showing MPG is 44.9 at just over 6,000 miles. Very little highway driving. Ptjones,  your use of the scan gauge is the first I've heard of with the C-Max. As I understand it, the scangauge is an OBDII reader. I tried to attach my Garmin Eco-route HD OBDII reader to my c-max, but it doesn't seem to be getting any power from the OBDII port.  Has anyone else tried the Ecoroute HD either successfully or unsuccessfully?  Somebody stole my portable Garmin GPS that displays the Ecoroute data, so I'll have to wait until Santa brings me a new one.  

(Ecoroute HD

Hi Everyone

This is my first post. in March I got my blue C-Max Hybrid SE. My lifetime showing MPG is 44.9 at just over 6,000 miles. Very little highway driving. Ptjones,  your use of the scan gauge is the first I've heard of with the C-Max. As I understand it, the scangauge is an OBDII reader. I tried to attach my Garmin Eco-route HD OBDII reader to my c-max, but it doesn't seem to be getting any power from the OBDII port.  Has anyone else tried the Ecoroute HD either successfully or unsuccessfully?  Somebody stole my portable Garmin GPS that displays the Ecoroute data, so I'll have to wait until Santa brings me a new one.  

(Ecoroute HD

There are many members of this forum that use ScanGauge and someone recently found one for around $106. I highly recommend it for WT, IAT, RPM's and IMPG.

Paul 

There are many members of this forum that use ScanGauge and someone recently found one for around $106. I highly recommend it for WT, IAT, RPM's and IMPG.

Paul 

You can also get the HVB temperature, S.O.C. % and cabin temperature using the X-Gauge setup.

What are the 2 acronyms, WT and IMPG ???

Edited by drdiesel1

You can also get the HVB temperature, S.O.C. % and cabin temperature using the X-Gauge setup.

What are the 2 acronyms, WT and IMPG ???

WT=water temp  and IMPG=Instant MPG     I typically used both of those along with the HV and 12V batteries SOC.  I recently moved mine over to the NRG and need to program more X gauges into it.

WT=water temp  and IMPG=Instant MPG     I typically used both of those along with the HV and 12V batteries SOC.  I recently moved mine over to the NRG and need to program more X gauges into it.

Okay, thanks!  Engine Coolant temperatures acronym is ECT ;) How do you get the 12V SOC ? 

I can only get 12V, voltage readings.

Edited by drdiesel1