weird foul smell inside Maxus and it isn't coming from me :)

mtb9153

I've been noticing when I first turn on the A/C at a lower fan speed there is an unpleasant smell coming through the vents.  I usually turn the fan to hi since it seems to dissipate quicker.  Also if I have the fan running at high and suddenly turn the fan speed to 3 bars on the fan screen, the smell returns.  Being an asthmatic I'm extremely sensitive to strong ordors which cause me to have an attack.  Maxus hasn't always had this problem, it seems to have started in the last 6 months.  I'm wondering if it is caused by a dirty in cabin filter?  As far as I know it has never been changed in the year that I've owned the car, and I use my A/C allot.  Just wondered if anyone else has noticed an unpleasant odor or fumes coming from the vents?

Edited by mtb9153

I've been noticing when I first turn on the A/C at a lower fan speed there is an unpleasant smell coming through the vents.  I usually turn the fan to hi since it seems to dissipate quicker.  Also if I have the fan running at high and suddenly turn the fan speed to 3 bars on the fan screen, the smell returns.  Being an asthmatic I'm extremely sensitive to strong ordors which cause me to have an attack.  Maxus hasn't always had this problem, it seems to have started in the last 6 months.  I'm wondering if it is caused by a dirty in cabin filter?  As far as I know it has never been changed in the year that I've owned the car, and I use my A/C allot.  Just wondered if anyone else has noticed an unpleasant odor or fumes coming from the vents?

You have a common problem with A/C use.  You'll need to treat it with the Frigi Fresh.  The only way to avoid this problem is to turn off the A/C about 5 min. before you shut the car down.  Just let the fan run without the A/C on before you arrive at your your destination. The condensation from A/C use needs to be dried before shutting the car down.  Otherwise, you get a stinky smelling system like you have.

Edited by drdiesel1

mtb9153 are you positive it's not your feet? LOL When my C-Max was stinking a few months ago, it was my Nike flip flops.  Oy vey was it wicked.  I googled about the brand of flip flops that I wore non stop for comfort, and 90% of the owners had to toss out their flip flops as it was a design issue.  I am just teasing you, but truly my problem was my beloved flip flops.  When we had the farm, on occasion a mouse would die in the walls and that was pretty dreadful too.  But I did read hybridbear's thread about FFH and that seems to be the likely cause.

We put a dead fish under a co-workers front seat once.

Have you changed your cabin filter?

Get some "Frigi-Fresh" at an auto supply.

here it is on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BG-Frigi-Fresh-A-C-Heater-Fresh-Air-Restore-Makers-BG44K-BG708-5-5oz-/280948515565

Says it kills bacteria.

how is this product added to my A/C system? is it added like a new can of freon?  just wondered

mtb9153 are you positive it's not your feet? LOL When my C-Max was stinking a few months ago, it was my Nike flip flops.  Oy vey was it wicked.  I googled about the brand of flip flops that I wore non stop for comfort, and 90% of the owners had to toss out their flip flops as it was a design issue.  I am just teasing you, but truly my problem was my beloved flip flops.  When we had the farm, on occasion a mouse would die in the walls and that was pretty dreadful too.  But I did read hybridbear's thread about FFH and that seems to be the likely cause.

well Laurel there maybe some merit to what you are saying, since I wear my flip flops religiously, every single day all summer long.  I'll have to try wearing sneakers tomorrow and see if it makes a difference?  Thanks for the suggestion.  Stay tuned.

how is this product added to my A/C system? is it added like a new can of freon?  just wondered

It doesn't go into the refrigerant lines.  I think it gets sprayed into the air intakes and then pulled/circulated through the ducts and vents.

They make another product called Frigi-Clean that is for cleaning the evaporator coil.

Easy todo.

Spray in the 2 oblong holes under the hood by the windshield.

I looked on Pep Boys and AutoZone, couldn't find it BUT I know I bought it at an autosupply.

I did find it at several dealerships, Infinity, Honda etc.

Amazon says they have it but I only found it down in the "Sponsored Links"

wab

post-554-0-46540700-1381196704_thumb.jpg

Edited by wab

Easy todo.

Spray in the 2 oblong holes under the hood by the windshield.

I looked on Pep Boys and AutoZone, couldn't find it BUT I know I bought it at an autosupply.

I did find it at several dealerships, Infinity, Honda etc.

Amazon says they have it but I only found it down in the "Sponsored Links"

wab

This is great news wab thanks for posting it.  I have an AutoZone nearby, I'll stop by tomorrow and see what they might have?

Edited by mtb9153

• 1 year later...

I dug up this thread recently as I noticed a smell coming from my vents -- oddly I only seem to really notice it when I turn the A/C off. In any case, I checked YouTube for recommendations, as well. One of the ones, by Scotty Kilmer suggests just using Lysol -- he claims that it works as well as any of the specialty items he's used as a mechanic.

I dug up this thread recently as I noticed a smell coming from my vents -- oddly I only seem to really notice it when I turn the A/C off. In any case, I checked YouTube for recommendations, as well. One of the ones, by Scotty Kilmer suggests just using Lysol -- he claims that it works as well as any of the specialty items he's used as a mechanic.

Hi raadsel,

Have you had a chance to swing past your dealer for a diagnosis? Please let me know, along with your mileage. 

Meagan

Hi raadsel,

Have you had a chance to swing past your dealer for a diagnosis? Please let me know, along with your mileage. 

Meagan

Thanks for the offer but I tried the Lysol trick earlier today, I suspect that will fix it. If not, I'll get in touch with you. Thanks!

I remember hearing about this a long time ago and it was recommended to turn off your A/C five or ten minutes before the end of your journey to let the vent blow fresh air through the system.   In other words you don't want the A/C on when you stop the car.

The idea is that you turn it off early to allow the condenser to dry out before you turn off the car. The problem with that is that you either burn up the last few minutes, when you have 90+ degree heat or the car runs an extra 10 minutes after you get to your destination, which doesn't help your fuel efficiency on the C-Max. The idea is that mold grows on the condenser, being damp and dark it is an ideal condition for mold to grow -- drying it out before turning off the car helps prevent the moisture that the mold needs to grow. 

The idea of the Lysol is that spraying a disinfectant through the system on a regular basis (every couple of months or more when you run the A/C) kills the mold and keeps the condenser "clean",  but without burning up as you drive or hurting your fuel efficiency.

You can't put up with 10 minutes of window-open driving like 90% of the planet without A/C in their cars?  It just seems easier, safer, cheaper and more effective than chemicals.

Have you ever lived someplace that has 90 plus degree temperatures, combined with high humidity (3 out of 4 days have over 92% humidity in July), every day for more than 3 months? Having lived in an area with a climate similar to Vancouver, I can understand why you wouldn't think it is an issue.