PlastiDip paint

mtb9153

I was at PepBoys last week and noticed they are now stocking Plasti-Dip spray cans in black, white, also white pearlizer top coat.  Also the new Blaze fluorescent colors in hot pink, blue, green.  Just wanted to share if anyone is considering using this product on their wheels or elsewhere like I have done.  Price might be a bit cheaper than ordering directly from www.dipyourcar.com since there's no shipping charges.  Also saw it at AutoZone, both told me it was a new item they are carrying.  FYI.

Edited by mtb9153

Yes I love it and can't say enough about it, rubberized paint who would have guessed?  Put it on, no need to sand or rough up the surface for prep which makes it irreversible.  Just make sure the surface is dry and clean. Spray it on with plenty of ventilation this stuff has a powerful smell and certainly not good for you in a confined area.  Get tire of it down the road?  Peal it off good as new and just like it was before painting.

• 3 months later...

Yes I love it and can't say enough about it, rubberized paint who would have guessed?  Put it on, no need to sand or rough up the surface for prep which makes it irreversible.  Just make sure the surface is dry and clean. Spray it on with plenty of ventilation this stuff has a powerful smell and certainly not good for you in a confined area.  Get tire of it down the road?  Peal it off good as new and just like it was before painting.

Brother Mike

Did you end up plastidipping your wheels?? How did you do it and how have the results been??

Thinking of doing this in the next couple days. I have a Sterling grey with limo tint as well as a de-badging so I think this will make the car pop a little more.

xSZYDx that user name pops on its own :) To answer your question, I did Plasti-Dip my factory wheels using their satin black product with final coats of their glossifier clear coat to give it a little shine.  Each wheel got a full can of paint because the thicker the product is sprayed on the the easier it is to remove any spray on areas that you don't want painted black.  For example I didn't mask off with tape around the bead of the tire where it meets the rim.  If you put on a thick coat and let it get on the tire, once dry it will pull right off to the edge of the rim nice and clean.  I suggest you watch their video's on this process at https://www.dipyourcar.com/Videos-and-Guides.html using this bundle kit...https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-Matte-Finish.html

For myself I chose to take each tire off the car.  In the video's they use a plastic sheet to cover the disc rotors and calipers by lacing it around the wheel through the openings.  But since the factory wheels don't have large openings I thought that would be too difficult.  Also since I was installing the red caliper covers from http://www.calipercovers.com I had too take them off anyway.

One thing I had to learn the hard way is to wait till the plasti-dip is good and dry before reinstalling the wheel nuts because as I torqued them they tore the dip loose from the wheel and I had to do allot of touchup.  If I did it again I'd cover the tapered part of the wheel where the lugs tighten against the wheel.  Use masking tape or stuff newspaper in the holes.  The dip has been on for about a year and still look as good as the day I did the work.  The only areas that the dip has come off is where I tore it off running my wheels into the curbs.  I wish the wheels were inset more to protect the wheels from curbs.  Or if the tires had a bead molded into them like Bridgestone and Yokohama.

Good luck with this project, it really makes for a stealthy look to the CMax.  When you are finished post some :camera:

Brother Mike

I was at PepBoys last week and noticed they are now stocking Plasti-Dip spray cans in black, white, also white pearlizer top coat.  Also the new Blaze fluorescent colors in hot pink, blue, green.  Just wanted to share if anyone is considering using this product on their wheels or elsewhere like I have done.  Price might be a bit cheaper than ordering directly from www.dipyourcar.com since there's no shipping charges.  Also saw it at AutoZone, both told me it was a new item they are carrying.  FYI.

Home Depot, Lowes, and some Walmarts also carry it.

Brother Mike

Us Polaks tend to stand out on our own, maybe not for the brightest of reasons...

But do you have any suggestions on how I should do it. I do not have any of my car equipment (jacks, stands, torque wrench, etc) to remove the tires myself. I may be able to find some from a neighbor... But I know our calipers are right up against the wheel and getting back there could be quite difficult. Can you be precise with the application process and avoid a lot of overspray?

xSZYDx
I would suggest just covering the fenders to prevent overspray and cover the center cap with the Ford logo unless you want to cover it up.  Nice thing about Plasti-dip is if you want to uncover the paint on the center cap you can do so by taking an x-acto blade and with the pointed tip gently dig into the plasti-dip after it is fully dry of course.  Just enough that you can start pulling the dip off the cap working from the center outward to the edge where it press fit into the wheel.  The joint between the wheel and the cap will actually allow a clean edge around the circumference of the hole in the wheel.

I'm not sure if it will help any but you might could try putting plastic or newspaper over the front of the calipers and the rotor coming in from behind the wheel if there is enough clearance to get your fingers in there to lay plastic or newspaper.  You would need to raise the car so you could get underneath.  I have some ramps made of tough plastic which I bought at PepBoys and I've seen them at AutoZone which might be in your area of Phoenix.  By placing them in front of the wheel you can drive up the ramp and raise the front enough to get underneath.  I did this when I was building my new front air dam which I wrote about in the modifications portion of the forum..

The nice thing about plasti-dip is you can afford to get sloppy and spray all the way out to the edge of the rubber and in fact I suggest purposely spraying an inch or so beyond on the rubber so the paint builds up to the same thickness you are laying down on the wheel.  I didn't do that and it was much harder to take your finger and rub to roll the overspray off the rubber and then pull an edge over to the wheel for a clean cut edge.

Hope all of what I've shared will help with the process?  Feel free to privately send me a message

I am not sure it is a good idea to overspray onto the tire because the solvents in the PlastiDip could potentially harm the rubber. It would be superficial, if at all,, but can you take that chance? PlastiDip is commonly used on wheels. Their directions should give guidance on this.

That is not a problem in fact the vendor who makes his business selling this product at www.dipyourcar.com describes doing this in their DIY instructional video's.  I did it on my CMax and no problems with hurting the tires.  Comes right off with a little rubbing and makes prep work allot easier on wheels since you don't have to tape off the tire before painting.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice Job Guys...........I had all of my badging, chrome trim and wheels done..........Found a guy that also does custom painted Ford Badges, he does a really good job........Now, just to remove my existing badges.......Has anyone attempted this???

From what I've heard take a heat gun or hair dryer point at the emblem you want to remove.  Heating softens the adhesive.  Take a strong flat piece of flexible plastic like used to spread Bondo and force under the emblem.  Should slide right off.  But just be careful not to damage your paint by scratching or over heating.

Did you change the rear light lenses, or is that plastidipped? Does the light still shine through enough to be street legal?

Actually I removed the Smoke tint Plasti-dip they are back to stock.  But yes the taillights were still brightly functional even in bright sunlight.  Knock on wood I never was pulled over by the CHP and CA. is notorious for that sort of thing.  Will I do it again?  Probably I only removed it because the coating became damaged by cleaning solution spilled on it.  The only thing I didn't like was due to the rubberize paint it makes the surface not smooth and because my garage is tight fitting if I squeezed between my rollup garage door and the back of Maxus, sometimes my shirt would leave a mark on the rubberized texture of the coating.  That was my only negative to using the stuff.

Sorry ScubaDadMiami, I thought you were referring to what I did to Maxus.  As for the picture taken by Chinko I don't know what he used?  But I like it, much darker than my application.

Edited by mtb9153

Here are the pics

Chinko looks very nice, you are doing a top notch job with your blacking out.  If that is plasti-dip on the tailights it is much darker than what I did and have since removed.  I'm curious what you used?  I have toyed with the idea of blacking out the hood and using the faux carbon fiber process plasti-dip has available

Edited by mtb9153