PlastiDip paint

mtb9153

Did you change the rear light lenses, or is that plastidipped? Does the light still shine through enough to be street legal?

I just plasti dip them they just look black but they are clear when you push the break I live in cali and you know how they are here so I stop a cop to ask and he said I was fine Edited by Chinko

Nice Job Chinko..........How come you didn't do the trim under the windows and the badging??

Billy I was the problem here is that they need to be taken off since they are actually under de plastic molding and I do think want to paint over the plastic molding so I'm just waiting for a day off so I can do it

Actually I removed the Smoke tint Plasti-dip they are back to stock. But yes the taillights were still brightly functional even in bright sunlight. Knock on wood I never was pulled over by the CHP and CA. is notorious for that sort of thing. Will I do it again? Probably I only removed it because the coating became damaged by cleaning solution spilled on it. The only thing I didn't like was due to the rubberize paint it makes the surface not smooth and because my garage is tight fitting if I squeezed between my rollup garage door and the back of Maxus, sometimes my shirt would leave a mark on the rubberized texture of the coating. That was my only negative to using the stuff.

Sorry ScubaDadMiami, I thought you were referring to what I did to Maxus. As for the picture taken by Chinko I don't know what he used? But I like it, much darker than my application.

Plati dip them

Chinko looks very nice, you are doing a top notch job with your blacking out. If that is plasti-dip on the tailights it is much darker than what I did and have since removed. I'm curious what you used? I have toyed with the idea of blacking out the hood and using the faux carbon fiber process plasti-dip has available

You know I been playing games on photo shop with the hood and every time I think it doesn't look good I even tried the famous double stripe and no I just saw a on a Ford mag a 2 tone blue and white so I might try top of the car black staring from the handles up and leave bottom white of course photoshop first Edited by Chinko

I know this is the plastidip section but I got this yesterday., what I don't like is that the air deflectors are shiny black and the plasti is flat black is there a plastidip in shiny black? Or do I have to add a clear coat to it, I saw a utube video that once you put the clear coat its hell to remove

post-1997-0-35760900-1397831634_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chinko

I know this is the plastidip section but I got this yesterday., what I don't like is that the air deflectors are shiny black and the plasti is flat black is there a plastidip in shiny black? Or do I have to add a clear coat to it, I saw a utube video that once you put the clear coat its hell to remove

Well there is a product they call glossifyer which is applied after the black coats or whatever your base coat color is dry.  It does make for a shiny appearance but it wasn't enough for me when I applied it on my factory wheels or the smoke tint I put over the taillights ;)  It is true that if you use a clear coat of clear lacquer or a clear coat you can buy at any auto or home improvement store.  It will react with the plasti-dip and make it a pain to remove.  That is why only use the glosifyer from Plasti-dip.

Edited by mtb9153

Yes that is true but if you don't use it it is a pain to take it all off, if you choose to do so?  I'm thinking this summer I might redo mine since with all my incidents of hitting and climbing over curbs has torn away the paint in several places.  This time I will tape off the lug bolt holes at the bottom so when tightening the lugs doesn't stretch and tear the rubberized paint like my first job which required allot of repair and touchup.  I think if you use the power sprayer that dipyourcar.com sells it gives a nicer end result but not sure I want to buy their sprayer, probably won't use it that much.

Edited by mtb9153

I think painting those stripes would be difficult to get even coverage with a spray can.

Ford does sell a number of stripe kits (even hood, roof, and trunk-lids, for Fiesta, Focus, Mustang, and F-150's. http://www.fordcustomgraphics.com

I guess Fusion and C-MAX owners just aren't racy enough.

Apply the stripes, then replace SEL with "SVT" on the tailgate, and people will be astounded at how much faster your C-MAX goes and how much better the gas mileage is.  ;)

I've thought about a lower-body stripe of some sort to fill the 'gouge'.

post-1940-0-43367600-1398461540_thumb.jpg

Edited by kostby

• 4 months later...

Decided to try the PlastiDip.  Most go for the Darth Vader look and black out areas and all usually look nice.  I wanted more of the original concept look for the rather clunky looking fog lights and went for a White Knight approach.  Really hard to match the tri-color pearl white but, it does look O.K. in person.  I may try and do the front grill in the pearlizing overspray for more of a brushed chrome look.  Best thing if I don't like it, off it comes.

post-1706-0-08758900-1409864091_thumb.jpg