Best tires for the C-Max??

mnrobitaille

I have 2013 CMax that is now 4 years old with 65000 miles with the org tires. I have brought my car in and had my tires rotated every 5000 miles , kept my tire pressure at 40 psi and those tires still have half of tread life left , this was told to me by my service dept manager when asking about buying new tires. My mileage today for my car is now 48 mpg, I think you overflating your tires to get better mileage is dangerous to you and your family.

Edited by AS2014

• 1 month later...

As for Low Rolling Resistance LRR tire technology (max MPG), Bridgestone and Michelin are very close according to the evidence I've seen at TireRack.com .

No significant difference in their low hysteresis rubber breakthroughs between those two companies.  Other companies may be lagging behind a bit.

I'd recommend the 

ECOPIA EP422 PLUS (V-SPEED RATED)

from TireRack.com or wherever you see them when you google that.  The Ecopia has more siping which can handle ice and snow better than our Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires we have OEM.  That said, I do like the OEM Michelins that come with the C-Max, but not for cold climates.  I run Michelin Xice3 tires in the winter.

Ecopia, with a lot of siping:

bs_ecoep422pl_pdpcrop.jpg

Our OEM Michelin Energy Savers:

mi_energysaver_as_pdpcrop.jpg

Edited by MaxHeadroom

I had Ecopia 422 on my Prius, they were a very nice tire but I thought they wore out fairly quickly.  It may have just been the way I was driving on them so best to hear from others too.  We have I guess what you could call light snow (16-20" max for an entire winter season) here in Central PA and they were fine on that car.

On the C-MAX I am still using the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max the dealer recommended as a replacement and they seem fine, although I don't rotate them like I should because I don't see the service bay as often with long oil change intervals.

Edited by jestevens

I have Ecopia EP422 Plus tires currrently on with about 36.5 k miles.  Just measured tread depth in all groves and minimum in just under 5/32 in one outside groove with most at 5/32 or just above.  Cold tire pressure averages 47.2 psi (measured with ForScan App) at about 60 F ambient.

Assuming initial tread depth is 10/32 per spec, I'm get about 7.3 k miles per 1/32 on the Ecopias.  I usually replace my tires at just above wear bars or 3/32.  So, I'll should get at least 50 k miles out of the Ecopias.  

I replaced my OEM Michelins at 48 k miles because of excessive tire noise (rear camber issue - developed saw tooth edges and slight cupping on rear tires) with about 4/32 tread wear. Here's SnowStorm's rear camber fix.  Without tire noise, I believe I would have achieved 60 k miles on the Michelins if I could have put up with the noise on cross country trips.  So, based on my experience, I'd say the Michelins will last longer.

Currently, there is some feathering that I can feel on the Ecopias and some tire noise that maxs out at about 45 - 55 mph.  We'll see if it gets worse.  Also, it's hard to tell if there is a significant fuel economy difference between the tires.  But, I will say that I don't believe the Ecopias yield higher FE.   Based on simple averages of many longer highway trips, I'd say that the Michelins may be better by a several tenths of a mpg at highway speeds. 

Bottom line: is the cost saving worth it for the Ecopias?  I saved about $100 with the Ecopias over the Michelins (includes $70 rebates for both sets).  I'd say gas has averaged around $2+ a gallon since putting on the Ecopias.  So, the savings buys at most 50 gallons of fuel or about 2000 miles of driving - probably not worth buying the Ecopias.

Also, as far as handling, it's difficult for me to compare as the Michelins were worn and the Ecopias were new.  Best bet is to look at Tire Rack surveys.  Neither gets stellar consumer ratings.  I'll probably go with another brand when I replace tires again. :)

Thanks for the update Ken, I got 64.5k and 64k  on my two sets of Michelins. I really like the cornering with 50psi, going 30+ mph in roundabouts, its a good way to get tailgaters off your bumper. :) I'm thinking that cross rotating tires every 5k miles might keep noise level down. I'm trying to on my current set. :headscratch:

Paul

I have Ecopia EP422 Plus tires currrently on with about 36.5 k miles.  ......more in post just  above......

I think you made a case for Ecopias.  The 2,000 free miles just in the up front price advantage alone, with comparable LRR performance, is plenty reason to buy Ecopias.

As for if the Ecopias getting better MPG than the Michelins, TireRack.com says they are about the same, and its the most reliable data we have.     (Goodyear, Yokohama, etc. lag behind Michelin & Bridgestone though).

I think you made a case for Ecopias.  The 2,000 free miles just in the up front price advantage alone, with comparable LRR performance, is plenty reason to buy Ecopias.

As for if the Ecopias getting better MPG than the Michelins, TireRack.com says they are about the same, and its the most reliable data we have.     (Goodyear, Yokohama, etc. lag behind Michelin & Bridgestone though).

There is something wrong with this picture. I don't think FORD and others using Michelin's instead of Ecopias came up with that conclusion. They would have jumped at saving $100+ per set of tires. Everything I've read said Fuel Savers are the best for MPG's.

Paul

There is something wrong with this picture. I don't think FORD and others using Michelin's instead of Ecopias came up with that conclusion. They would have jumped at saving $100+ per set of tires. Everything I've read said Fuel Savers are the best for MPG's.

Paul

Ford's negotiated wholesale OEM purchase price for Michelins was probably VERY competitive to what Bridgestone was offering.

Consumer prices are vastly different.  Market considerations.

I don't know where you've read Michelin is really that much better than Ecopias.  My reference was a TireRack.com test, the only I've been able to find.  Do you have any CREDIBLE test references?  Not just some dude in Maine saying "they real good!!!".  Need actual tests, you know.

My reference says there is barely any difference in LRR between our OEMs and Ecopias.

Ford's negotiated wholesale OEM purchase price for Michelins was probably VERY competitive to what Bridgestone was offering.

Consumer prices are vastly different.  Market considerations.

I don't know where you've read Michelin is really that much better than Ecopias.  My reference was a TireRack.com test, the only I've been able to find.  Do you have any CREDIBLE test references?  Not just some dude in Maine saying "they real good!!!".  Need actual tests, you know.

My reference says there is barely any difference in LRR between our OEMs and Ecopias.

Here's one: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/01/consumer-reports-tests-fuel-saving-tires-michelin-energy/:)

Paul

Just took a look at Tire Rack... It's a $5/tire price difference, Ecopia EP422 vs. OEM replacement after a $70 Michelin rebate. Numerical ratings are similar to a smidgen better for Michelin, but the reviews tell a story of real difference in customer satisfaction, given both have poor snow traction. I'm very bothered one guy's holed three sidewalls?

Were I to change tires, it would be for perfomance reasons, like winter performance becoming important (as it is with my wife's Sonata Hybrid... OEM Kumho TA31's are horrible tires in snow). 

HAve fun,

Frank

Bridgestone also offers the $70 rebate on a set of four.  The issue is timing your tire purchase to the active rebate.

The Michelin rebate was not on when I bought the Ecopias. Since my tire noise was so bad on my return 2000 mile trip and since I was leaving again on a long trip in a week, I "had" to get new tires.  So, with the Ecopia $70 rebate I actually saved about $170 (includes sales tax savings) buying the Ecopias over the Energy Saver at full price.    

Just took a look at Tire Rack... It's a $5/tire price difference, Ecopia EP422 vs. OEM replacement after a $70 Michelin rebate. Numerical ratings are similar to a smidgen better for Michelin, but the reviews tell a story of real difference in customer satisfaction, given both have poor snow traction. I'm very bothered one guy's holed three sidewalls?

Were I to change tires, it would be for perfomance reasons, like winter performance becoming important (as it is with my wife's Sonata Hybrid... OEM Kumho TA31's are horrible tires in snow). 

HAve fun,

Frank

Were those Kumho tires winter tires Frank? I have the Kumho KW31's and they are just fine in the snow. 

Edited by Louder North

• 5 months later...

I do not have any problems with efficiency, just the replacement price.  2013 cmax sel 56227 miles and still could get a bit more miles.  Changed over to Continental Purecontact on 11 Sept 2017.  No noticeable loss in mpg's.  Driven about 400 miles on new Purecontact tires, noticed that we do not feel most of the road joints like before.  Handling is great.  Feels like you have tiger paws on each wheel.  Tires rated for 70 k miles.  Price was important along with LRR and performance.  $550 from walmart plus $40 to balance and -$70 visa card as we bought them in August 2017 when rebate was on.  Consumers Report say both tires very similar.  Still have a bit of noise at the back but less now with new tires.   :)  :)  :wub2:​ 

I'm running Goodyear Assurance FuelMax. They're alright, I preferred the Firestones on my Focus. I forgot to ask the dealership for them when I traded in the car; they only had 10,000 miles on them :(

How do the FuelMax compare with the Michelin Energy Savers ?  I am somewhat interested in the FuelMax because Goodyear is an American company.